LegacyGT.com

ECM 2024 planning thread

boxkita

So it turns out consuming epic quantities of sourdough bread (Mrs Boxkita brought home a 100year old sourdough starter from her trip to Alaska last year) can force you, er, me into a mild gluten allergy. Along the way, I got a mild salt issue. I'm pretty sure a lifetime of eating poorly has finally come home to roost. I did enjoy it, though.

At any rate, Ive become a salt free chicken and salad person. Breakfast is yogurt and fruit. 

That said, I'm willing to take part in all culinary adventures except Sprank's meat sweat experience.

Mrs Boxkita has been teaching me to fend for myself in the kitchen, however, my contribution to the effort may only be a credit card and basic prep.

blah, blah...if there wasn't drama in my life, I'd be dead.

Driving to breakfast should happen a couple times, minimum. I'll talk to David about getting a second set of keys to the wrx while Jeni sleeps in. I'm pretty sure he will be done with breakin by the time I get there.

I forget if there are any coffee snobs. I can throw a couple pounds of non-Starbucks in my bag.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, boxkita said:

I forget if there are any coffee snobs. I can throw a couple pounds of non-Starbucks in my bag.

Last year @Enlight offered to bring his espresso maker to the party. I think this year we should take him up on that offer. 

Pretty sure I was getting by on instant last summer, but that wasn't my best morning of the season. 😑

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Last year @Enlight offered to bring his espresso maker to the party. I think this year we should take him up on that offer. 

Pretty sure I was getting by on instant last summer, but that wasn't my best morning of the season. 😑

I'd be up for that. 

Wasnt @Enlight the one who found the brekky place last year? 

4 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Sure. I don't think we need to have a meal planned for each night. Just figured maybe a couple would be fun as a collective thing for those interested. Might be worth looking for a local grocery store that could sell dough? But I'm also very happy to make some, especially if there is room in the fridge to let it bulk ferment for a day, etc.. I have a pizza steel I can throw in the car as well as a peel and some other related junk.... works well on a barbeque as well if the weather is good. (Is the barbecue propane or plumbed into fossil gas? I would assume the former given how remote the house is...

Easy barbecue meal (burgers?) + salads would be another slam dunk I figure, but I'm just throwing ideas out there. I can *very* easily live on raw veg + hummus + crusty bread & pickles for the length of time we're staying.

We have lots of time to work this out, but getting the ball rolling in advance isn't such a bad idea either.

I have some pizza stuff to add to the WRX stash as well, and can make dough ahead of time and freeze and bring. Easy peasy. I can also bring a bunch of hummus/tzaziki/crazy feta, stuff from CAVA (where David works). I can also make bread when we get there. Ya’ll know I love to cook! Salads - I have a few great recipes (as do we all, I am sure!) - quinoa zucchini, a radish salad, tomato/mozz, we can have some fun and keep it super simple. A simple BBQ menu is great too - burgers, brats, etc. I’ll be sure @boxkita’s car stuff doesn’t eliminate room for a cooler for the trip up. I’ll do some searching for farm stands and groceries as the time gets closer. Can’t wait! 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, boxkita said:

Driving to breakfast should happen a couple times, minimum. I'll talk to David about getting a second set of keys to the wrx while Jeni sleeps in. I'm pretty sure he will be done with breakin by the time I get there.

I almost fell of my lounge chair on the side of the Caribbean Sea just now. Reading this to David, he said, ‘I trust John to drive my car.’ I shit you not. Though then he said ‘as long as he keeps it under 70’. LOL

(I just asked how many miles on it - 200. Sigh. We have some work to do before this trip)

Edited by JJBerk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, JJBerk said:

I almost fell of my lounge chair on the side of the Caribbean Sea just now. Reading this to David, he said, ‘I trust John to drive my car.’ I shit you not. Though then he said ‘as long as he keeps it under 70’. LOL

(I just asked how many miles on it - 200. Sigh. We have some work to do before this trip)

You know breakin happens in the first 10 miles or so? Although you probably want to put a few more miles on it. The olde days of needing 1000 miles before hammering on a car are long past.

Regardless, 70mph is acceptable. Thanks, David.

Remember how back in 07-08 Subaru decided that engines don't need a final honing process and the piston/rings can do the job during break in?

Remember the world wide stop sale it caused when engines puked oil like a drunken sailor on the first night of shore leave, at start up, and siezed with all the glitter?

Remember the Subaru specd dealer "inspection" which involved starting the car and flooring it in N for 30-60 seconds?  If it survived, it was for sale again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so I have a wrench that has been thrown into my plans to attend. I tested the laws of physics with my daily and lost. I rear ended a car that full stopped at a yield while I was looking over my shoulder for traffic that I had to merge with. Both myself and the other driver are fine, only my ego is ruined...and my daily (VW TDI Wagon). I was originally planning on driving out in my GT (still limping a long) knowing that I had my daily to fall back on when I get home. Well now that I am down to only my GT, I am cautious to drive it that far without a fall back daily. I am in the market to find a replacement (manual awd wagon like a 08/09 outback, forester, bmw are all options). If I can secure a replacement before the event then count me back in but otherwise I might have to bow out for this year purely for self preservation.

Because I have been calculated in the headcount cost this whole time, I will still contribute towards my bed cost even if I do indeed not make it out.

• Sad 4

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

7 minutes ago, jaylew said:

ok, so I have a wrench that has been thrown into my plans to attend. I tested the laws of physics with my daily and lost. I rear ended a car that full stopped at a yield while I was looking over my shoulder for traffic that I had to merge with. Both myself and the other driver are fine, only my ego is ruined...and my daily (VW TDI Wagon). I was originally planning on driving out in my GT (still limping a long) knowing that I had my daily to fall back on when I get home. Well now that I am down to only my GT, I am cautious to drive it that far without a fall back daily. I am in the market to find a replacement (manual awd wagon like a 08/09 outback, forester, bmw are all options). If I can secure a replacement before the event then count me back in but otherwise I might have to bow out for this year purely for self preservation.

Because I have been calculated in the headcount cost this whole time, I will still contribute towards my bed cost even if I do indeed not make it out.

https://www.autotempest.com/results?make=subaru&model=outback&zip=01606&radius=300&maxyear=2009&transmission=man

I picked a random ZIP code in the middle Mass. I don't know where you are, but it's not THAT big of a state.

I like the green one with only 90K on it. My favourite colour for 3rd gen outbacks.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the boo boo. Glad everyone is OK. If you can't make it, don't sweat it.  No payment is expected or required. 

Marys 11th b-day present. Little house on the prairie, minus Michael Landon. I checked.  For the price I should have at least got a life size cut out if not a full resurrection.  Oh well, it will have to do.

20240422_124114.jpg

• Like 4

@KZJonny That is on my radar. My current top options are

This manual X5 cause its cool and can tow 6k lb (though im not a fan of crossover/suv's)

An 08/09 outback in manual is also on the table cause I have so many spares from the GT that its "easy" to get running.

An E91 manual awd bmw wagon. I am familiar with that platform and could be good

I am considering an AWD toyota siena just to keep things odd as that could be a solid winter skiing car

I have seen a 2014 outback with the 6 speed, but I am totally unfamiliar with that FA engine platform and reliability.

• Like 1

Steering Rack Rebuild

37 minutes ago, jaylew said:

@KZJonny That is on my radar. My current top options are

This manual X5 cause its cool and can tow 6k lb (though im not a fan of crossover/suv's)

An 08/09 outback in manual is also on the table cause I have so many spares from the GT that its "easy" to get running.

An E90 manual awd bmw wagon. I am familiar with that platform and could be good

I am considering an AWD toyota siena just to keep things odd as that could be a solid winter skiing car

I have seen a 2014 outback with the 6 speed, but I am totally unfamiliar with that FA engine platform and reliability.

All cool options.

Since you just smashed a VAG car, does an A4 Allroad wagon not make the list? I've heard that once your used to the VAG, there is no going back. 😄

I am kinda open to the audi, but my knowledge of them is that any engine work on like a V6 is a pain, but then again I haven't looked too much into it. If its a wagon replacement, then it has to be manual.

I have joked about a miata with a roof box and studded tires would be hysterical to roll up in at the ski slopes

• Haha 2

Steering Rack Rebuild

8 minutes ago, jaylew said:

I am kinda open to the audi, but my knowledge of them is that any engine work on like a V6 is a pain, but then again I haven't looked too much into it. If its a wagon replacement, then it has to be manual.

I have joked about a miata with a roof box and studded tires would be hysterical to roll up in at the ski slopes

Fair. A4 Allroad = 2.0L turbo. But serious, you've already got enough drama in your life without another high strung small displacement car. OBW would be as capable, if slower and far easier on maintenance, etc...

I drove my neighbours Sienna after doing a brake job for him, and while I would never own a minivan, for all sorts of reasons, I have to confess that the Toyota 3.5L V6 has some jam, even on a family vehicle tune. Of course, you then get the worst of all worlds, V6 smashed into a van engine bay.....

BRZ sounds like a highly practical skiing day car. That said, I drove a '91 Tercel in the Rockies (Sunshine/Lake Loise) to a couple hundred ski days.... Just threw on some good winters and drove past the Jeeps that got stuck on the roads up the mountians. becaue all seasons, and tourists are idiots.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, jaylew said:

Glad you are fine, hopefully you can find a nice replacement.  We do have similar problems with our ego's since I reversed out of a parking spot into another car with my wife's truck.   Only a little dent in the rear bumper which popped within a few minutes, only leaving a few scrapes in the paint & taillight.  The other truck needs what looks like a new fender, headlight, bumper.

• Sad 3

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

good snow tires are the best solution for not getting stuck.there's a prius out here that runs studded snow tires and a massive roof box. 

honda fit are pretty cheap on used market. supposedly came in awd turbo version. big turbo options exist if you need to double the horsepower 

22 minutes ago, boxkita said:

good snow tires are the best solution for not getting stuck.there's a prius out here that runs studded snow tires and a massive roof box. 

honda fit are pretty cheap on used market. supposedly came in awd turbo version. big turbo options exist if you need to double the horsepower 

Don’t forget the Yari. I mean… kind of seriously.

I got mine for a couple grand and slapped a whiteline rsb and some Michelin winters on it, and spent the winter here passing Volvos and Mercedes SUVs.

They don’t seem to like getting passed by econoboxes, but on all seasons…. they also can’t follow me through corners….. lol!

Want more power? Throw a Corolla 1.8L in it. That is a lot of jam for a 2200lb car. Hah!

Soooo… how bout that camping trip?

• Haha 2

Preaching to the choir when it comes to tire choice. This jetta that I totaled was FWD but rocked winter tires and plowed past all the jeeps and subies rocking "all seasons". The desire for AWD would still be paired with winter tires, but only to truly dominate. I drive into the most heinous winter conditions, so all the traction would be nice (again not needed)

also the irony of you all arguing to get a FWD shitbox over awd is hilarious as we are poised to meet up again for our exclusively AWD vehicles haha

back to the regularly scheduled meet conversation... @SubOperator when do you plan on heading out for the trip?

• Haha 3

Steering Rack Rebuild