LegacyGT.com

Killer B Pick Up Quality

Yay, another oil pick up thread!

If you are not up to speed, my brand new motor just spun a bearing. More on that here.

After a brief phone call from the builder, I was told exactly what I had suspected the source of my metal and knocking to be. It was in fact a bearing. I was also recommended to use a factory oil pick up in place of the Killer B unit I had installed previously. The overseer of the machine shop had said "We've seen issues with the Killer B pick ups in the past. Sometimes the welds have pin holes, and air is easier to suck up than oil is. Not saying this was the cause of you engine failure, but because we've had issues with these we would recommend using the OEM pick up."

The engine is under warranty, and in this brief phone call I was told they would be cleaning/reassembling the engine. That said, the most worrisome part is over.

The shop foreman's testament to previous issues with Killer B pick ups in relation to their welds, in addition to @rhino6303's issues (here) with his Killer B oil pan baffling breaking at the welds is causing me concern of Killer B's production quality. I will be closely visually inspecting and conducting a pressure test, when I receive the KB pick up back, to see for myself if it holds up under pressure. I haven't considered how I would do this other than jerry rigging an air compressor up to the isolated pick up tube, and bringing it just beyond the highest pressure my EJ253 oiling system would output. Any better ideas?

Moreover, does anyone else have anything to add to the topic so that I can figure out if I have a healthy paranoia that steers me to a Moroso unit, or am just another anecdote?

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Oh this doesn't sound good.  I put a killer b pickup tube in my Impreza...sold the car so it's not really my problem anymore though.  Car I built for a customer at my previous shop needed to be modified to fit the exhaust manifold he chose, he agreed to the needed modification but that can't be good for a warranty claim 😬

• Haha 1

Based on my experience I can't recommend at least the welded aluminum pan. My pickup never seemed to have issues and looks good.

I'd like the cast pan but I can't get myself to buy their parts right now. I still can't fathom how "installation error" was the blame for my pan weld failure (on a new oem block installed on a stand).

• Thanks 1

Well that just sucks, sorry to hear :( Surprised to hear since Killer B has always had a pretty sterling reputation in the Suby community. Have you contacted them to see what they have to say? Still wouldn’t suggest OEM due to past issues that are well known. Did run a Moroso pick up with no issues for many years and only swapped it out when I swapped in a full IAG pan/baffle/pick up kit.

Edited by shralp
  • Like 1

I never had any issues.  Its been some time...  But, I can make a quick phone call to verify if there have been any known issues.  Its only 7am on the west coast (where I need to call).  Give me some time today and I will inquire with those truly in the KNOW.

• Like 1

@rhino6303 had the real issues.

Neither the builder, or myself, have confirmed that the KB pick up was my cause for engine failure. I just want to be as transparent as possible. And I cannot find a single bad review highlights defects anywhere in my various searches. I was just curious if anyone else was in the shadows about a bad experience with any of their products. 

@m sprank thanks for reaching out to your contacts. I, too, was going to call them this morning. I wasn't sure what I'd lead with.

However, I am going to call, and verify fitment of other oil pick ups (IAG and Moroso) with the Killer B baffle windage tray. Unless on of y'all can confirm fitment here. I don't think they work, but I want certainty. 

• Like 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

So far....  no one has heard of holes in the welds on the pick ups. 

Baffles have broken.   KillerB has made changes to the baffle to address the breakage, the latest variant has a tab that goes up the back of the pan to reduce tension.

At the same time apparently several units not intended for distribution made it out into the world.  These pre-production units had sharp bends on the baffles (rather than radius bends) and would crack at every weld.

I am awaiting a reply from one last source. 

• Thanks 2

None of my sources have experienced any "holes in welds".  I would dare say that my sources build FAR more Subie engines than anyone else. 

Other than using an incompatible part (like a Moroso oil pick up) and physically damaging the baffle, no one has seen issues with the "new" KillerB design. 

Oh boy.  The conversation I just had....  has nothing to do with the quality of the parts being delivered by KillerB.  Life is not fair.  I dont know how much I can say, so... if you have questions or issues with any parts/components they should be directed to Nick at KillerB. 

I (and I hope the rest of the Subie community) send my love and support to Chris. 

• Like 2

I bought my v2 Killer B oil pan used, had it on the car for a few years and just reinstalled it for my new engine build. Didn't see any issues with the baffling, pickup, or windage. Not saying that there aren't any issues out there, this is just my n=1 experience.

• Thanks 1

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

I've had a killer B pick up on my 05 since 2013. Put a new RA block back in 2020 with that same pick up. Been using it for 100K now.

I also have a Moroso pick up on the 06. Only been 16K now (4 years of use -- don't drive the car that much). Why did I replace the OEM one on this car, you ask? Because it cracked baaad! I am glad I did not wait too long to replace it when I began noticing the stupid oil light flickering at start up..