LegacyGT.com

FS, SWPA/Pgh area - JmP Custom billet VF40

Hey all,

I'm selling a JmP custom billet VF40.  Turbo has about 14k miles on it, but looks and feels brand new.  Compressor wheel rotates very nicely by hand.

"JMP Custom Style in all variations have upgraded and modified journal bearings that virtually eliminate the IHI oiling issues, upgraded and modified thrust plates, upgraded piston rings, assembled with teflon impregnated synthetic grease to ensure that there is no dry startup. The Custom also includes a new inconel turbine/shaft assembly and an aggressive extended tip custom billet compressor wheel that weighs about half of the stock cast wheel and is capable of 20+ psi. The entire assembly is then dual plane dynamically balanced to .00005 grams to make sure that there is no chance of shake. I do light polish on the compressor backing plate and also light internal polishing of compressor housing-just to remove some roughness on casting marks."

People rave about these turbos - plug and play as a stock turbo, or add supporting mods and tune it for a significant upgrade.  I'm stepping up to a bigger turbo next, so this one has to go.

Looking to get $625 shipped in the ContiUS..  Thanks all!

DD5F2DE3-C84B-4162-9033-588CAD44A7FF.jpeg

4C0DBED0-E8A2-4FA5-828D-6C46788D7D42.jpeg

85E57325-1EFC-42EC-A62D-EF705A5803D6.jpeg

B69B990D-043C-469E-B0F7-8D41081B3C9C.jpeg

6952B6CE-0E7C-477B-8C26-9D77FBD83C09.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks buddy. I might just keep it to be honest. I have all the supporting stuff except a mild injector if even needed and an ebcs, at which point I could really see what this turbo would do. Bet it would be plenty fun for me.

• Like 3

Recommendations for a tuner I could use if I have to outsource? Unless I could just bolt this one up right in place of the VF46…. you mention “plug and play” above.

Performance shops up here are sticky about touching anything they didn’t do all of the work on. 

Edited by joomanburning
Clarity

I’m not absolutely certain, but I think regardless of whether your car came with a vf40 or vf46, they are basically interchangeable and function like stock as long as you’re running the correct corresponding restrictor pill.

I can’t tell you what to do with adding parts and not getting an appropriate tune. Generally it’s a bad idea.

And yeah, there are plenty of Subaru e-tuners out there. Cryotune has a great reputation, based in Colorado 

That was essentially my question, if it’s got the correct pill and I don’t do anything else- would I need a tune? I’m absolutely willing to do that, but if for the time being I could run it on stock ECU I would. Thanks for your input. I’ve spoken with and hoping to hear back again from JmP today. I’ve asked him about your turbo, as I’m not sure mine is going to be serviceable. I’m very interested in this, but before I purchase I want to know if mine can be salvaged at all and at what cost. 

• Like 1

JMP will confirm, but i am pretty sure that you could use this turbo as a direct swap for OE in the short term, as long as,and I quote "You don't drive it like an asshat." 
(That may have been a reflection on whether or not this thing will roast your clutch, which it will in time.... but the lesson is the same.)

Longer term, you want a tune to take advantage of the extra awesome it comes with. I'm still on COBB stg. 2 91 octane, while fuelling with 93 as often as I can. Keeping everything nice and safe while waiting to install everything and get a tune with Dave at Cryo.

This thing comes onto boost so quick, and pull so much further than stock, it's surprising for such a small turbo. No way the stock maps are going to know what the hell is going on. I mean keep the boost moderate and stay away from red line, and you should be good. Get into the "full send" portion of the maps, and I suspect you might start seeing some problems with overboost etc...

• Like 1

How is this not sold yet? I am very happy to have directly supported JMP having him rebuild mine, but if I were still looking for a turbo, I'd have snapped this up in a heartbeat. Even has the sweet blue on black paint job! (Free bump, someone needs to pick this up and revel some snappy spool!)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BoozeRS05 said:

Plot twist, I’m keeping it. Hadn’t updated the thread yet, but made the decision yesterday 

Haha! I assume you're on stock VF40 at the moment? You're going to love this thing. I'd be really curious to know what you think if you happen to install it before the meetup.