LegacyGT.com

the journey of an overly maintained 3.6R

I was just going to make a general post, but maybe this can be my 'build' thread... I bought a one owner 2017 3.6R Limited w/ ES in Oct '22, 57,653 on the odo and a solid service history. Only one oil change went excessively over the dealer recommended 6k, and that was after the 30k was done; not seen again until 40k.  It has just over 60,200 now (Feb '23). I think a 60k was done off the books, as the air filters, brake fluid, and spark plugs I replaced all looked relatively new. I am a Subaru mechanic and replace these things regularly on customer cars so know what they look like across all ranges of mileage... people.... replace your cabin filters good lord 🤮. I don't plan on doing many upgrades... maybe a rear sway bar. My main goal with this car, is that if you're anally retentive about maintenance, it'll last forever. The car really only has one issue, the shift selector seal is seeping. Other minor issue I had with it was some electrolysis type build up on the oil cooler. So I replaced that tonight, I went ahead and replaced the two hoses and their clamps too. I plan on doing a CVT drain and fill soon, CVT-HT is basically $100/gallon! Getting a 5 gallon bucket so I should have enough for two drain and fills. I know "they" say it's a lifetime fluid but the severe maintenance table says it should be replaced every 40,000 km or ~25,000 miles. Pending on how the fluid looks I may do a short change.

PXL_20221019_012129744.thumb.jpg.fa575165d580ba87121608d96d09b4e2.jpg

PXL_20230204_003642825.thumb.jpg.9ebab51163ee564615e6e0807bc4a15c.jpg

PXL_20230204_005814198.thumb.jpg.fa5ffb20668d2ea8858f1f207b7325f4.jpg

PXL_20230204_005825387.thumb.jpg.309d7e42215f05c7fd63b16a35121049.jpg

Edited by silverton
  • Like 5

Drained the CVT today.  Only about 5 quarts come out of the pan. 13 quart system... fluid was very dark compared to the new stuff.  Excited to hear back from Blackstone on both the engine and transmission oil analysis.  Took about an hour and a half, the longest part was waiting for the transmission to get to operating temperature for the fluid check.

I'm tempted to do another one very soon, and then possibly another just to get the old fluid as diluted as possible.  Also did the throttle calibration that's posted on the outback forums. I can actually tell a difference and can recommend! I've only driven it home, which is two miles, but the throttle felt better.  At times the throttle would be unresponsive so I'd give it a little more which caused the car to lurch forward like I mashed the gas; as far as I can tell that is gone. I only took one not exciting picture as it was finishing the drain.  Also douched the grunginess, which you can kind of see below, off the transmission so I can verify where it's seeping from, I think it may just need the pan resealed.

PXL_20230208_224825887.thumb.jpg.60439813bbf86ec561ad1d512789c4f9.jpg

ThrottleCalibration-1.pdf

• Like 3

Got good news from the oil! Probably another week before the CVT report comes back. I may actually extend my OCI's to 3750-4250, but since oil is practically free for me i may still stick to 3000 just for the hell of it. 

This reported oil is from a local Subaru dealership.

Capture.thumb.PNG.185dddfa1a853308b0d4c2ef235b4617.PNG

For comparison sake, here is my 2001 Legacy, with a fresh EJ25, it's had a few samples tested...  block assembled by local shop with ACL race bearings, and engine assembled by me. This one doesn't look near as good...

Capture1.PNG.f3c7e3a5954c059146604b3185119f0f.PNG

Has anyone done a Blackstone analysis on CVT fluid from the CVT in the 2.5i?  Mine is at 52k.  I tried to talk to my service advisor about is yesterday when I had the car in for an oil change, but they didn't seem to understand what I was asking.

• 2 months later...

I've put about 5,000 miles on the car.  Haven't had any major problems yet.  The steering wheel has a pretty good shake to it once you get going fast enough but feels just fine at the speed limits 😇 It's probably the six year old tires, but I have balanced them so oh well.  Gave it a clay bar, polish and wax yesterday; because I drove it on the beach in Westport last weekend so thought I should treat it extra nice.  On the way home from the beach a 350Z was being extra douchey riding peoples asses and cutting through what little traffic was there.  For only having .1 less of a liter, and it was a manual, those cars are fuckin slow.  He stopped being douchey after I dusted him a couple times, the second time I even let him get the jump on me just to be sure.  Easy to know when someone is trying when they have a loud exhaust 🤣

Speaking of loud exhaust..... I want to do an electronically controlled cut out just before the muffler Y activated by an "X-mode" button from the Outbacks in the factory location, and Hella horns... cause well, flat bill subie vape bro shit. I kind of also want to lower it on H&R springs but I'm enjoying not needing to worry about curbs.

This color is ridiculously shiny, it's like a mirror. I love it AND hate it.

PXL_20230521_235857705.thumb.jpg.9803558783d86983bb162a73f056d811.jpg

PXL_20230521_235926643.thumb.jpg.dad5f24bbb728bf03ce1b2f67030b553.jpg

And then it started misting so obligatory water beads...

PXL_20230522_020653404.thumb.jpg.3d24d2b6a2e789d2b20f4232bb0e88ba.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, silverton said:

I've put about 5,000 miles on the car.  Haven't had any major problems yet.  The steering wheel has a pretty good shake to it once you get going fast enough but feels just fine at the speed limits 😇 It's probably the six year old tires, but I have balanced them so oh well.  Gave it a clay bar, polish and wax yesterday; because I drove it on the beach in Westport last weekend so thought I should treat it extra nice.  On the way home from the beach a 350Z was being extra douchey riding peoples asses and cutting through what little traffic was there.  For only having .1 less of a liter, and it was a manual, those cars are fuckin slow.  He stopped being douchey after I dusted him a couple times, the second time I even let him get the jump on me just to be sure.  Easy to know when someone is trying when they have a loud exhaust 🤣

Speaking of loud exhaust..... I want to do an electronically controlled cut out just before the muffler Y activated by an "X-mode" button from the Outbacks in the factory location, and Hella horns... cause well, flat bill subie vape bro shit. I kind of also want to lower it on H&R springs but I'm enjoying not needing to worry about curbs.

This color is ridiculously shiny, it's like a mirror. I love it AND hate it.

PXL_20230521_235857705.thumb.jpg.9803558783d86983bb162a73f056d811.jpg

PXL_20230521_235926643.thumb.jpg.dad5f24bbb728bf03ce1b2f67030b553.jpg

And then it started misting so obligatory water beads...

PXL_20230522_020653404.thumb.jpg.3d24d2b6a2e789d2b20f4232bb0e88ba.jpg

If I were you, I would change color. Too shiny for me. But, it's your call, of course.

The 350Z engine is worthless.  Very disappointing.  Falls flat on its face just when you need it to kick in. 

Dont modify the exhaust or suspension.  Its a 3.6CVT.  Just follow your original intention and you should get 250K out of her, if not more. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MitchRoyce said:

If I were you, I would change color. Too shiny for me. But, it's your call, of course.

This is the first car I've owned where every little imperfection is an eye sore.

@m sprank

You're probably right buddy! I just have an itch to do something 'race car' to it 😅

12 hours ago, silverton said:

This is the first car I've owned where every little imperfection is an eye sore.

@m sprank

You're probably right buddy! I just have an itch to do something 'race car' to it 😅

Speaking of first cars. Saw my avatar? It's my current car. First Legacy I bought. It's kinda old fashioned, but I like it. But with my first truck (I'm a trucker) it was the very same thing.

This one is by far from my first car, i've had dozens, but it is the first that was less than 10 years old and first under 100k miles, it's my third Subaru.  I had a GC-RS Impreza from 2012-2022 that I turbocharged and tuned it myself with an emanage ultimate, when that got stolen in 2019 I bought the 2001 Legacy that my girlfriend is currently driving.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2023 at 9:57 AM, m sprank said:

The 350Z engine is worthless.  Very disappointing.  Falls flat on its face just when you need it to kick in. 

Dont modify the exhaust or suspension.  Its a 3.6CVT.  Just follow your original intention and you should get 250K out of her, if not more. 

The 350z is actually a fairly capable car.  But the issue like Silverton pointed out is the people that drive them seem to be younger and all over the road. Sorta on the level of a non-STI driver WRX. Always trying to race with 268 HP and rallysport mudflaps makes me laugh.

I have a G37.  Did the Stillen conversion with the supercharger.  Yeah it's a fun car but honestly I enjoy more comfort these days as I am getting older.  Just did a 400 mile trip with the 3.6 and it was wonderful with the eyesight doing most of the work when radar cruise was engaged.

I did break down a few weeks ago and bought a 2015 Lexus RC-F(V8 model not V6) and that car is like a wild stallion. One of my requirements was I wanted a car with loads of power and handling yet was very subtle.  I have to admit most other cars are surprised by the near 480 HP.  But again bought it for a specific reason and it's good to do sometimes be king of the road until a 392 Scat Pack or C8 comes along lol..

But back to the 350 as stated good car yet in today's market very lagging on power even with all the mods you can throw at it.  But I will take a D-Bag 350 or WRX driver over someone driving a Tesla Model 3 trying to race everyone thinking they are entitled for buying a base model Tesla.

12 hours ago, DougKelly20 said:

Tough not to do an exhaust on a flat 6.... Sounds so good at WOT. :)

I had a Borla XR-1 on a V6 S12 way back and it sounded incredibly good, am curious how good two would sound on the flat-6.

11 hours ago, MoleMan said:

Just did a 400 mile trip with the 3.6 and it was wonderful with the eyesight doing most of the work when radar cruise was engaged.

I love being able to set the cruise and vaguely steer.  It has slipped up a couple times with the LKA but not enough yet that I don't use it, it basically yanked the wheel out of my hand once and i said out loud 'what the fuck are you doing??' it has minded better since 😅

I need tires, a couple of these aren't looking too hot on the inside sidewall.  Have a road trip in about three weeks and I'm thinking I shouldn't do it on these, but also don't really have the extra funds to drop $800 on a set, also also dont have the extra funds for a tow truck/etc if one blows out on the freeway, oh the conundrum's of being 'poor'..  My tire of choice are the Conti DWS 06's, they actually seem to be one of the cheaper performance tires with an 18" hole in the middle. Tirerack has a couple Blizzak's on closeout, I know we're headed in to prime summer but it would be fresh rubber. I'm kind of picky and if I'm borrowing from myself anyway I'd rather get good tires vs good enough tires.

PXL_20230526_184919322.jpg

PXL_20230526_184851953.jpg

PXL_20230526_184907719.jpg

On the journey of other maintenance, I have about 500 miles left before my 3000 mile interval is up, oil was down between a quarter and a third of a quart which I think is acceptable oil usage at 2500 miles, especially with my triply short commute. There are ZERO external engine leaks, and the transmission pan grunginess from when I bought it is the most minor of sweats, I'm not even going to bother with it.  I got really lucky with this car as 3.6's that come in through our shop with similar to even 10,000 fewer miles look far far worse.

Edited by silverton

16 hours ago, MoleMan said:

The 350z is actually a fairly capable car.  But the issue like Silverton pointed out is the people that drive them seem to be younger and all over the road. Sorta on the level of a non-STI driver WRX. Always trying to race with 268 HP and rallysport mudflaps makes me laugh.

I have a G37.  Did the Stillen conversion with the supercharger.  Yeah it's a fun car but honestly I enjoy more comfort these days as I am getting older.  Just did a 400 mile trip with the 3.6 and it was wonderful with the eyesight doing most of the work when radar cruise was engaged.

I did break down a few weeks ago and bought a 2015 Lexus RC-F(V8 model not V6) and that car is like a wild stallion. One of my requirements was I wanted a car with loads of power and handling yet was very subtle.  I have to admit most other cars are surprised by the near 480 HP.  But again bought it for a specific reason and it's good to do sometimes be king of the road until a 392 Scat Pack or C8 comes along lol..

But back to the 350 as stated good car yet in today's market very lagging on power even with all the mods you can throw at it.  But I will take a D-Bag 350 or WRX driver over someone driving a Tesla Model 3 trying to race everyone thinking they are entitled for buying a base model Tesla.

You mention your G37, which has a far superior 3.7l engine.  Ever driven a 350z?  I almost bought a 2010 Nizmo edition to modify and tune. Loved the look of the car.  Drove it and the next day bought a 2008 SpecB.  Engine falls flat in its face and does not pull to redline. No S/C kit would fix that.  It is bad engineering.  Oh, and I worked developement for Stillen back in the 90's with my 1.6 and SE-R Sentras. 

Then worked with Nismo on development of the Sentra SpecV.  Guess how the USDM model gained front Brembos??? My car was the only ever made with Brembos and ABS.  Because I developed the Brembo fitment package for Surfside Nissan and my old mans racing buddy Greg.   LOL.

Then my Super Charged  Frontier was featured at Sema.

The first 28 years of my life were devoted to Datsun/Nissan.  

• Like 3

Got a set of DWS 06 Plus' on the way... after a bunch of deliberation and reading reviews I'm just going with what I want and have experience with instead of trying to save 20-30 per tire.  Tires with an 18" hole are expensive! $40 more per tire vs the 205/55 16's on my third gen legacy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, silverton said:

Curious if you've heard of a good friend of mine @m sprank, pioneered a kit (THE kit?) to put VG30's in to 510's, he's the one who helped me on my journey of turbocharging my impreza. 

Dave Carroll or Denis Gagne?

Edited by m sprank
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 11:30 AM, silverton said:

Curious if you've heard of a good friend of mine @m sprank, pioneered a kit (THE kit?) to put VG30's in to 510's, he's the one who helped me on my journey of turbocharging my impreza. 

I keep on saying Im a leave my 510 with the slightly not stock, but at least period correct L series in it, but then I see the torque figures for a VG30/33 and my mind starts to wander.

Do you still have any communication with this fellow? All the places that used to do engineered solutions for VG30/33's into PL chassis seem to have shut down.

vg30.com , Team Thump, Experimental Engineering 

Understandable, since they are a pretty dates chassis now, and not many running around, but still. If someone still has drawings/plans they'd be willing to pass along it might help those few of us still working on these old things get a leg up on either making (or having made) some things like motor mounts. I have *some* faith I could cobble I thing together, but since someone already worked it out and it's kind of a critical part, why not be sure?

CHeers!

silverton, sorry for the threadjack... But you mentioned you are a Subie mechanic. Have you ever replaced the passenger side airbag for the 05-09 outback/legacy models? If yes, do you recall having to remove the dash?

\end threadjack :spin:

Got em on! It definitely rides nicer.

On 5/30/2023 at 11:29 AM, xt2005bonbon said:

silverton, sorry for the threadjack... But you mentioned you are a Subie mechanic. Have you ever replaced the passenger side airbag for the 05-09 outback/legacy models? If yes, do you recall having to remove the dash?

\end threadjack :spin:

It has been a few years since I've actually had to do one, and I really only got to assist as I was an express tech for my time at a dealer, but I think that is one of the easier ones. Pretty sure the panel behind the glovebox is the only thing that needs to come out for access to the nuts.  It's nicer on that panel if you also remove the center console bucket and the passenger side trim piece that slots into it.

PXL_20230601_002131660.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. I am about to remove my cracked dash and replace it with a new one I have. Will also replace the heater core and clean any debris I can find on the evaporator core (fan is blowing weak with or without AC). In any case, trying to figure out in which condition I want to bring the car to the dealer for the airbag swap. I may bring it with the stuff you mentioned removed.

Now, let's get back on topic :).