LegacyGT.com

Interior storage limitations for 4th Gen. What are your solutions?

Hopefully an appropriate post, I'm still new here.

Shortly after obtaining my spec.B, I noticed how limited the interior storage/trays/cubbies are when you have a nav screen.  I frequently use the cup holders, and often find myself without a place to set my phone, sunglasses, small things during a drive.  The glove box is inconvenient for quick access and the center console can't be a store-all for everything else.  So, I need ideas for things that don't make the car look trashy.

What do you all do?  Dashboard tray?  Sunglasses clip?  3d printed pockets?  Magnets?

Years ago someone posted a sunglass holder for a VW that screwed in place of the strap handle above the door. worked for me, but I can't remember any details. otherwise marie kondo that place. There is a dual tray center console lid that gives some more storage space as well.

*Disclaimer - I can count on two fingers how many times I've used the center cubby where nav would usually be. It's just never utilized, so I'm not capitalizing on cubby space. I also didn't realize how much of a science I boiled this subject down to in my own personal time with these cars*

Phone and wallet are the least I travel with. I might have sunglasses, a drink, and a few small screws/parts to make a parts run but never much more of the "small things". I'm not super familiar with the Spec B center consoles, however I'd imagine they're similar to the rest of the BP/BL family. And google pics show this as well.

Phone is placed vertically in the front cup holder, and secured via sliding door of the cup holders. My wallet is usually thin enough to sit atop the second cup holder position in a horizontal manner, also secured by the sliding door. Parts/screws would sit under the wallet. If I'm not wearing sunglasses then they are in a case and stowed in the center console or glove box —I either want them or I don't. Walkie talkie (for drives with friends) is either clipped in to my seat belt at chest level, or stowed in the second cup holder position with my wallet which would now be in a vertical position. 

My wallet's position is permanent and it should remain immobile as various IDs and other essentials (CAC, DL, debit card, 2x sticks o' gum, cash) are in it. 

My phone is the only other unnecessary item, so it's placement is adjustable. Music is played from downloaded music and it's isn't touched afterwards. No texts are read, let alone answered. Calls maybe checked but aren't usually picked up, unless called twice back to back (you know...probably urgent). My car is what a shower is for many others —a peaceful space. For new points of interest, or areas, routes are studied on google maps from home before departure. I don't need my phone out for anything day-to-day so when I have a passenger with a phone or a drink, phones get stacked in verti position, or my phone gets pushed to the center console, and their drink gets placed in the front cup holder position following the "drink rules". 

Drinks Rules:

If drinks are involved, it can feel a little more cluttered. I mitigate by:

One small drink actively being consumed can go in the first cup holder position. 

One large drink actively being consumed can go into the first cup holder position.

Two small drinks actively being consumed can go into both cup holder positions, extended armrest probably will be utilized to avoid straws or any other contact with drinks.

The following are pushed to the rear cup holders behind the center console: No large and small drinks up front at the same time. No drinks being consumed intermittently up front. No long straws up front. No drinks in a container other than a disposable one up front. 

Sheesh, that was a lot!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

On 11/19/2022 at 6:08 AM, Febreze Mee said:

*Disclaimer - I can count on two fingers how many times I've used the center cubby where nav would usually be. It's just never utilized, so I'm not capitalizing on cubby space. I also didn't realize how much of a science I boiled this subject down to in my own personal time with these cars*

Phone and wallet are the least I travel with. I might have sunglasses, a drink, and a few small screws/parts to make a parts run but never much more of the "small things". I'm not super familiar with the Spec B center consoles, however I'd imagine they're similar to the rest of the BP/BL family. And google pics show this as well.

Phone is placed vertically in the front cup holder, and secured via sliding door of the cup holders. My wallet is usually thin enough to sit atop the second cup holder position in a horizontal manner, also secured by the sliding door. Parts/screws would sit under the wallet. If I'm not wearing sunglasses then they are in a case and stowed in the center console or glove box —I either want them or I don't. Walkie talkie (for drives with friends) is either clipped in to my seat belt at chest level, or stowed in the second cup holder position with my wallet which would now be in a vertical position. 

My wallet's position is permanent and it should remain immobile as various IDs and other essentials (CAC, DL, debit card, 2x sticks o' gum, cash) are in it. 

My phone is the only other unnecessary item, so it's placement is adjustable. Music is played from downloaded music and it's isn't touched afterwards. No texts are read, let alone answered. Calls maybe checked but aren't usually picked up, unless called twice back to back (you know...probably urgent). My car is what a shower is for many others —a peaceful space. For new points of interest, or areas, routes are studied on google maps from home before departure. I don't need my phone out for anything day-to-day so when I have a passenger with a phone or a drink, phones get stacked in verti position, or my phone gets pushed to the center console, and their drink gets placed in the front cup holder position following the "drink rules". 

Drinks Rules:

If drinks are involved, it can feel a little more cluttered. I mitigate by:

One small drink actively being consumed can go in the first cup holder position. 

One large drink actively being consumed can go into the first cup holder position.

Two small drinks actively being consumed can go into both cup holder positions, extended armrest probably will be utilized to avoid straws or any other contact with drinks.

The following are pushed to the rear cup holders behind the center console: No large and small drinks up front at the same time. No drinks being consumed intermittently up front. No long straws up front. No drinks in a container other than a disposable one up front. 

Sheesh, that was a lot!

I so feel this. Going for a drive for me is like going to church for people who have religion, I would think.

It is a space to enjoy and be at peace in. This is *going for a drive*, not commuting to work mind you…. The rules I have about drinks/ eating in the car. (do.not.eat.in.my.car.) are a little weird to some people who’ve come along for a ride, but it’s my space.

A co-worked of mine once offered me his old phone holder and a handsfree bluetooth setup ‘So I could use my phone in the car while driving’.

I gave him the stinkeye and said nothing until he stopped talking and left the room.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, KZJonny said:

A co-worked of mine once offered me his old phone holder and a handsfree bluetooth setup ‘So I could use my phone in the car while driving’.

I gave him the stinkeye and said nothing until he stopped talking and left the room.

The plebs don't understand!

• Like 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

• 1 month later...

I have an 08 spec b and havent ever thought that storage space was lacking, but that being said I have changed up from the factory setup anyways.

I installed an EU console so I could get rid of the stupid sliding drink cover. With this console I also have the oem armrest extension with extra storage cubby. On top of those, I have a subietrays AP holder/divider in the main console which holds all my pens and such. If I have any loose parts or small dirty things to carry I have an jdm oe option garbage can fixed in place of the rear cupholders that can be used for storage. Phone is mounted via magnetic mount (scosche magic mount) on side of double din facia.

https://subietrays.com/collections/2005-2009-outback-legacy

20230108_131935.jpg

20220621_121202.jpg

20221018_152504.jpg

• Like 5

On 1/11/2023 at 1:33 AM, 08Spec_B said:

I have an 08 spec b and havent ever thought that storage space was lacking, but that being said I have changed up from the factory setup anyways.

I installed an EU console so I could get rid of the stupid sliding drink cover. With this console I also have the oem armrest extension with extra storage cubby. On top of those, I have a subietrays AP holder/divider in the main console which holds all my pens and such. If I have any loose parts or small dirty things to carry I have an jdm oe option garbage can fixed in place of the rear cupholders that can be used for storage. Phone is mounted via magnetic mount (scosche magic mount) on side of double din facia.

https://subietrays.com/collections/2005-2009-outback-legacy

20230108_131935.jpg

20220621_121202.jpg

20221018_152504.jpg

In regular use I guess I don't have too many complaints about shortage in storage.  I 3d printed a phone holder solution, and most other things just stay in my pocket or on my head.  I guess I was comparing it to other cars I've owned and noticed there was a lack of cubbies.  In honestly, though, the more little nooks and crannies there are, the more cluttered a car can get.

I like the look of this Euro console.  Looks way more 'integrated' to the car.  What's the box hanging off the back, though?  After doing a bit of searching, though, it doesn't seem to be that easy to source parts for.  How long did it take you?