LegacyGT.com

No lie I can definitely smell the exhaust 😭. Just realized I have a tiny oil leak also 😳.  Should be covered under the shops warranty because I took it in 3 weeks ago to get the leaked fixed and now it's leaking from the same spot that I had them fix 😅 

Just called the shop. I'm taking it in Monday to get the leaks all fixed up. I'm convinced the shop didn't properly seal it right just Because it's leaking from the same spot they sealed.  I pushed my tune back till Wednesday just in case the first shop takes awhile getting it all sealed up.  

Just thought of something as I looked at the photos again. If you don’t have a heat shield for the turbo (unless you just removed it for the photo) you should really consider finding one, or maybe getting a turbo blanket.

Heat in that area without some kind of shielding can both heat soak the intercooler, or cook those power steering hoses… cheap insurance to do one or the other. I went full paranoid and did both….

Edited by KZJonny

I'll be sure to look into that . I'll probably end up getting a turbo blanket.  Thank you for the useful tip 👍. Also got the car to a shop today and they said my cam shaft bridge is ls leaking.  They said its barely leaking though.  I do not have the money to get this taken care of at this moment.  I talked to the shop That's going to tune it and they said they will also take a look before the tune the veichle.  They said if it's not a bad leak they will go through with the tune 

I would think you’ll be okay unless the tuners are lot fussier than usual. That’s a pretty normal seep for older EJs.

If it isn’t going to make a mess on the dyno or present fire/smoke hazard, it should be alright. You’re not exactly tuning for mad power with just the DP.

Definitely not trying to tune for high power just yet. I Definitely will later in life but I got a good amount of maintenance to do before I get thier.  But on that note how worried should I be about this leak.  The shop said just to keep a eye out on my oil levels. And if it starts leaking a lot more to Definitely get it fixed . And what parts would I wanna upgrade when I look at building more power for my veichle?

I'm not worried about that leak at all! 😁

You should definitely keep an eye on it tho, and check oil regularly. Like, at every fill up is a good idea. I keep a shop rag tucked behind the battery and oil in the back at all times. These engines are good, and a heap of fun, but from everything I've read are more sensitive to oil starvation than most, you don't want to let it get too low.

The 'which parts for power' thing is a whole different can of worms, and essays have already been written on this site about what you 'need' and do not need.

I'll say this tho: figure out what you want the car to be, considering how you drive it/are going to drive it.

Lots of considerations here:

-is it your DD? does it need to be reliable all the time?
-how much money do you have?
-technical skills/access to tools/place to work/friends with these things who are willing to help?
-how much money do you have?
-is your credit card paid off and ready to get a workout?

You'll see a theme here perhaps? I can attest that my "I'm just going to replace this rusty original catback so my car is not loud enough to wake my neighbours when I go to work at 0800", turned into a hell of a lot more than that. I'm okay with it, because I had some fun money put aside for another project that got put on the backburner as this one spiralled out of control. I'd be happy to tell you about my build either here, or in a message, whichever works, it's relatively recent enough that the parts are all available and you could price them out. Have a look through some "builds" in the 4th Gen Legacy forum, the OBXT area, which is the same thing. They overlap a little. You'll get a lot of help here if you ask smart questions, after you've spent some time looking for an easy answer than has already been addressed a million times! (I've learned this. I deleted some of my old posts which were silly questions I found the answers to by looking for them casually.) Doesn't mean you shouldn't ask lots of questions, but using the site search functiong on Google helps a lot. (Ie:   stage 1 parts list site:legacygt.com )

I'll also add that mine is fully a street car, is only probably only ~260-70 awhp, and is an absolute riot to drive. I've been out with others who own more mechanically stock GTs and they've been pretty surprised by how much the car has been woken up without going insane overboard chasing power.

Cheers!

Edited by KZJonny

3 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

Gee, where did you get the idea to keep a rag behind the battery... picture taken April 2012. :)

DSCN4664.JPG

Ha! Yeah. Guess I'm not the only one.

I'll always give credit where it is due, but in this case, it was my first car. A used '91 Toyota Tercel 5 speed. The oil pal leaked a little when I got it, so I put a new one on, as well as some struts and brakes before driving it Ontario to Alberta. (Like 3700km) I didn't know too much about cars at that point, so I just checked the tire pressure after doing those jobs, packed it, and started driving. No real shakedown cruise or thorough checkup before driving across the country. To be 25 again.

About 3 hours into that 4 day drive, I noticed a puddle of oil under the car and thought.... crap. Long story, it was the rear main seal, which very thankfully responded to a half litre of rubber seal treatment being dumped into the oil. A couple of top ups later, she held oil, and continued to do so for the next 10 or so years.... That car was ridiculous and started first crank no matter what the weather or how long it had sat around while I worked abroad. If it hadn't succumbed to rust, it would probably still be my winter beater.

But the incident did turn me into an oil level paranoid, and I've kept shop rags tucked somewhere "safe" in my engine bay in every car ever since....

Yea, I was thinking it may have been more of a "great minds think alike" thing. ;)

Next leak to watch for is the rusty oil pan. I replaced the pan on the wagon in July, it had a rust spot that leaked oil... on the new garage floor...Luckily, I got it before many drips got onto the floor.

I'll also add, with the new oil pan, after some 700 miles, its still hard to see the clean oil on the stick.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Awesome I'll definitely look around this forum before asking questions lol 😆.  I've definitely been using my o'reilly work shirts as my oil rags recently 🤣 but I'll put a rag in my trunk . I carry coolant and oil and some other things in my trunk just in case I break down. It's going to be a while before I start to build this car completely. Thank you everyone for all the help 🙏 the car is getting tuned right now and I'm picking it up later today.  Sadly selling my cob accesport because I'm going with a open source tune. My favorite thing about the accesport was the Guages I could monitor.  

Edited by Lgtpromblems

2 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

Yea, I was thinking it may have been more of a "great minds think alike" thing. ;)

Agreed! My Mom always told me “Great minds think alike; fools seldom differ.”

So, I’m careful about who I implicate as being in league with my not uncommon foolishness! 😉

Edited by KZJonny

2 hours ago, Lgtpromblems said:

Sadly selling my cob accesport because I'm going with a open source tune. My favorite thing about the accesport was the Guages I could monitor.  

BtSsm app!

If you have an old android device you can easily monitor your gauges. One time app purchase and you’ll need a means to connect to the car’s obd port. Highly recommended and very smart idea to keep an eye on the ecu 

87D6B5E2-03AA-42F6-A593-688F49582C83.jpeg

• Like 1

I absolutely love you're gt wagon 😍.  I'll definitely buy that app when I get a chance. Finally got done with tune 🙌 it's faster then usual not to crazy much but like I said I'm not aiming for high power yet.  I have a lot to upgrade before I get there.  Thank you for everyone's help it's been really helpful. I attached a picture of the graph from the Dino.  I don't know how to read it properly but I guess the pink line is what I'm running at now.

16655371438612019795353554042734.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

BtSsm app!

If you have an old android device you can easily monitor your gauges. One time app purchase and you’ll need a means to connect to the car’s obd port. Highly recommended and very smart idea to keep an eye on the ecu 

87D6B5E2-03AA-42F6-A593-688F49582C83.jpeg

Hmm, I just found out Btssm can work over Bluetooth. Have you tried having music playing from it simultaneously with a wireless connection to OBD2? I'm curious to see if I could just use my Galaxy S22 in tandem with Spotify and Btssm and not need another device for this. With Cobb tuning becoming much more restrictive with Green Speed this seems pretty handy if I go back to open source.

There was some discussion on it in the thread, but I can’t recall what others were experiencing. That thread is pretty huge now. Almost positive most of the guys using one device for all their apps had no issues.

I just realized the BtSsm thread was permanently archived during the site update unfortunately. Sooo much good info in there

• Like 1

Hey I've tried to look through the forums on here and I'm still struggling to find a forum for building a 4th gen legacy.  Could you guys help me out? I'm just trying to look for a forum to see what after Market parts to upgrade to start running more power.  😅 

Here are a couple:

Just a couple I found really quick. Plenty more out there.

Read most of the stickies in the 4th Gen specific forum. Skip the fluffy things about paint colours and whatever.

-Read Fahrside's turbo wiki (with a twist!)
-Read MaxCapacities engine build thread
-Read the 200+ pages of debate about which BNR turbo to buy if you really want to kill some time, and learn a thing. I did, then had JMP build me a custom turbo from a spare VF40 I had...
-etc....

If you come up with a plan, and start thread, then people can chime in with their opinions and experiences. It's worth nothing that there isn't much to be learned at this point about these cars and the EJs in them aside from what is beginning to become a pattern failure at 18 years old or whatever. Lots of "known" combinations for 'safish' power.

Like I said earlier. Figure out what you're going to do with your car, power goals (unless you've got a major amount of money your want to burn, be reasonable) and budget. Expect to blow the budget anyway, but it won't hurt to start with a maximum in mind and price everything out at the start. I started out just planning on replacing the rusted out stock exhaust system, and ended up somewhere in the $10K CAD neighbourhood all of a sudden... I didn't write a budget tho, so shame on me.

Work backwards from what you want from the car/want to use it for. You'll get more focused advice and probably be able to save a pile on parts you don't need.

Start with a downpipe that is legal in your area and a tuning solution. If you get tired of the power you have with a downpipe from Cobb, Invidia, or Grimmspeed then that's when ya start having fun (with an open wallet, of course).