LegacyGT.com

I've always felt out of the box the LGT with a downpipe and tune is plenty quick, to the point other parts of the car start to lack.

In other words, once the car is sorted with maintenance, I basically recommend starting with suspension upgrades.

1. Rear sway bar with stout mounts and links

1a. Good tires

2. Catless uppipe if necessary, and stage 1 tune

3. Struts and springs

4. Downpipe and stage 2 tune

5. Brakes

6. Interior/exterior aesthetics

7. Whatever direction you want to go...

• Like 1

Okay thank you lol . I know the previous owner put some new suspension pieces in not exactly sure what though.  I do have a question was looking at this stage 3 grimspeed set for my legacy but says it will fit manual transmission but nothing about automatic.  Would this still install into my legacy? 

Screenshot_20221019-130320_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221019-130309_Chrome.jpg

The downpipe is manual specific, but if you're able to make up some bracketry, I think it can be used with an AT. All else is fine. If you need it to be bolt on, I think there are other options.

Since you already have a downpipe, you could always collect the other parts you need/want new or used and save some cash. The GS intercooler is awesome, to be sure, but you don't really need it unless you're really turning up the boost.

Same goes for intake. Consensus is that under ~350hp the gains with it really aren't work the money.

You can probably get away with a new/used catless up pipe, a tune, and your DP for some noticeable improvement in power. Spend the money having your VF40 done over with JMPs Custom treatment, and enjoy faster spool and more top end all day. Stilll probably cost less than that Stage 3 kit, although that does seem like a decent discount for buying it all as a package...

BoozeRS's advice is sounds. Take some pictures of the suspension mods you've got already. Could be useful by way of figuring out what the best next step it. Gotta get all that newfound power to the ground ya know!

Okay I'll be sure to get pictures of the suspension parts I have.  I do plan on turning up the boost up a good amount later down the road as of now it's my daily so can't be turning up the boost high yet. Also what do you mean getting my vf40 done over with jmp custom treatment? And for vavle body upgrade how would that be done.  Do they sell upgraded vavle bodies? Also should mention I do also want to manual swap my legacy.  I'm not 100% sure if that's the route I'm going but we'll see eventually. 

Just read about manual swapping my veichle definitely not going that route 🤣 

Edited by Lgtpromblems

Lots of info on JMPs custom turbos around the site, generally very well regarded if you want to stay stock frame. (VF40/46/52) or get an improved version of a BNR turbo.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jmp+turbo+site%3Alegacygt.com&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA858CA858&oq=jmp+turbo+site%3Alegacygt.com&aqs=chrome..69i57.8845j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm don't have an auto, so I don't know much about it. But there are various mods to the valve body in your transmission which improve gear holding and reliability. For your reading pleasure:

https://www.google.com/search?q=5eat+valve+mod+site%3Alegacygt.com&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA858CA858&sxsrf=ALiCzsYju6J2T2wx6xiSoxSHe-kh8R3QSQ%3A1666277101027&ei=7V5RY8uZAYqyqtsPkZSLmAk&ved=0ahUKEwiLxND1he_6AhUKmWoFHRHKApMQ4dUDCA8&uact=5&oq=5eat+valve+mod+site%3Alegacygt.com&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EANKBAhBGAFKBAhGGABQnApY1Slg3DFoA3AAeACAAXuIAccJkgEEMTUuMZgBAKABAcABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz

Getting used to the "search this shit site:legacygt.com" (site searching) in Google or whatever search engine your use should help you find better answers faster than using the search function built into the site.

• Like 1

Okay awesome. Yeah I was reading about hex mod I think he stopped making mods for vavle bodies.  But I did contact ipt to see if they still mod vavle bodies and they do l. So I'll be upgrading my vavle body through them.  I'm also thinking about getting the vf52 turbo and then with the perin equal length headers/perin up pipe.  Also they got a rotated up pipe I heard that would be good for bigger turbos but since it's rotated is there any diy I have to do because it's rotated or does it all bolt on?  Couldn't find much on that 

Just a question for ya, and if the answer is "yes" then shame on me, but what are you planning on doing with this car?

Do you have 15K++ USD and dreams of drag racing, or this being a full time track car?

If "no", then you need to stop for a minute now, read through more of the suggested posts from above and come back with some sensible questions. By the time you're getting into rotated turbo power, you're not using an auto (or at least not a 5EAT, you'll be into at least a built street/strip block +forged internals at minimum, etc.....

If those are your goals, best to find a good builder and tuner and start talking with them. There is a lot of knowledge on lgt.com, and I know because I've gotten plenty of it over time, but once you start talking rotated turbo type stuff, 500++ hp, this stops being the best place to get your info, for the most part.

Plenty of folks here making 350 awhp on stock frame turbos, and pushing the limits of 18 year old automatic transmissions... That is a *fast* car.... what exactly are you trying to make?

Okay I'll make sure I dive more into these post . But the answer is no I'm thinking about around 350awhp to 400awhp kinda like everyone else.  I think to answer my own questions is that I don't need a rotated up pipe. 

Thank you for the advice and links you sent 🙏  

All good dude. Don't mean to jump down your throat, but you've already been given links to "the recipes"

Coles notes:

- if you live where there is E85 readily available; get an HTA86 turbo, full fuel system, suspension, exhaust system (brakes?) and tune. Hold on tight.

- if not, plenty of options, but within the realm of reason? JMP VF52, BNR 18-20g, Blouch 380 XT etc...93 octane tune, fuel system, exhaust, suspension, (brakes?). Hold on tight.

Fahr Side's turbo wiki has this and a tonne more, goes into all the details of required vs. maybe optional mods at each point. You can use that to make a skeleton budget @ todays price's, and see where it puts you. Open wallet is great, but just for context, I probably spent 7-8K USD to get a safish 260-270 awhp, with awesome response and suspension to keep the wheels on the ground, and fix some of the normal LGT stuff. Just as a reference. I would guess past that your looking at like another $1500 for each 20hp or so? That's a very informal guess tho, probably more than that.

My car makes 322 WHP at 19 PSI on a VF52 on a Mustang dyno. It absolutely hauls ass and anything more becomes prohibitively expensive for someone not dedicating a substantial chunk of their income keeping these older cars running. Start slow. You've got an untuned car with a downpipe and I'm assuming it makes maybe 250 WHP untuned. Tune it and put a valve body on it and you've got a car that is much faster than you probably give it credit for. A VF52 is a nice upgrade, but getting into aftermarket fueling, valvetrain upgrades, and engine-out repairs is the norm beyond what those turbos make on these cars.

• Like 1

Second that. Making gains past 280-320whp from my understanding becomes exponentially more expensive, and plenty of people would advise you be very cautious investing that much money into a 17yr old car. You will pay to play, and things will break.

I’m different though, WHP has never been my primary concern.

• Like 1

Okay I do live in a place that had e85 available  but I don't think I'll go that route quiet yet.  Thank you for all the help I'll  keep hunting down forums for any other questions.  Unless I genuinely can't find anything about the topic. Once again thanks for the help everyone 🙏 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi so I've been struggling to find out if this works.  So I found a 2005 manual legacy gt with a a bad motor but everything else is relatively good.  Would my engine from my 2005 legacy At swap into a manual legacy? Without Messing with a whole bunch of other things ? 

20 minutes ago, Lgtpromblems said:

Hi so I've been struggling to find out if this works.  So I found a 2005 manual legacy gt with a a bad motor but everything else is relatively good.  Would my engine from my 2005 legacy At swap into a manual legacy? Without Messing with a whole bunch of other things ? 

Yes. Plug and play.

If your engine is all good, you’ll end up with a driveable car for a few hours work + a parts car + potentially a rebuildable engine, depending on what went wrong with the ‘bad’ engine.