LegacyGT.com

Hi guys I'm new to this form had some questions about my 2005 subaru legacy gt going to be quite a lengthy post.  So I recently bought a 2005 subaru legacy with 212000 miles on it has and rebuild engine they said with only 15k miles on it.  Recently I just had new spark plugs, replaced both vavle cover gaskets, replaced all cam shaft seals ,crank shaft seals,oil pump seals. Timing belt idler, timing belt idler double row bearings, timing belt, thermostat, replaced all engine timing covers and water pump. I recently started throwing a p0172 code. I took it to a shop and they checked it out and said it needs and tune because of ther after Market parts.  The only aftermarket item I know that's on it is a invidia down pipe. I just bought a cob accesport to tune it would they pre loaded maps that come with it solve my tune problem? I called one shop they said they need to tune it and not the pre loaded maps the cob offers.  The other shop said the preloaded cob maps would work perfectly.  I did install on of the cob maps and my check engine light went away.  But I'm not sure if that fixed it ? Sorry for any typos 😅 

Cobb stage 2 is for the donwpipe. So you should be ok. A custom tune is best but not needed.

One question, was the up pipe replaced with a catless one ? that is recommended for 05-06'.

After a reset of ECU it can take about 60 miles for the CEL to come back, if it's going too. 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A custom tune would be ideal. The Accessport, depending on when it was released and sold to the public, may not have maps that will kill the check engine light for you due to EPA crackdowns on the car aftermarket and emissions defeating equipment.

It would be best to get in contact with an open source tuner local to you. However, if your check engine light went away and the *only* mod you have is a downpipe then it is probably OK to use the Accessport on its own. 

1 minute ago, Lgtpromblems said:

Also I'm not sure if it's a catless down pipe I would like to assume it is. Is there any way to know for sure ? Also on the cobb accessport it's shows the stage 1 tunes.  Do I have to go online a download a stage 2 map? 

You would need to look under the car to see if it has a cat. Depending on who makes it you might be able to see from the engine bay kind of around the top of the bellhousing of the transmission. My Invidia pipe is catted and has a very obvious catalyst towards the end where it connects to the turbo.

You need to use a Stage 2 tune, not a Stage 1. Stage one just advances timing and adds fuel compared to a stock tune. These tunes, if not on your Accessport, are available on this forum if you search around. Make sure to use the correct one for your octane rating locally and what the car will be tuned on.

Here's what both look like. The new one is catted. I replaced the catless one with the catted one with no changes made to tune or loss of performance.

The Cobb AP should have the stage 2 map in it. You may be able to get it from Cobb's site too.

DSCN8147.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

36 minutes ago, Lgtpromblems said:

Okay awesome. I'm going to get my veichle pro tuned in about 2 weeks . I'm visiting family out of state do you think it's safe for a 6 hour road trip 🤔 

See if that Tuner well send you a Cobb stage 2 map.

With stage 2 map car should run normal. So the long drive won't be any problem. The custom tune is just better overall for "your" car. 

1 hour ago, Lgtpromblems said:

Awesome man. I just contacted cobb and they said they do not have a stage 2 ots map for my legacy. Is running the stage 1 ots map going to hurt? Like I said it will be in a shop to get pro tuned here in a couple weeks 

You should not run it. It will not give the car enough fueling and can cause damage if the car is in boost. It's better than running a stock tune, but you should look around on this forum for the maps as they were all collected by forum members when Cobb implemented their changes months ago (hence they can't send you stage 2 maps). 

The most common downpipes on our cars are from Cobb, Invidia, Grimmspeed, and I think there are some older ones from defunct companies. If you have an automatic transmission then it likely is a Cobb downpipe.

I have the 2005 manual trans Stage 2 maps.

For 91 and 93 octane. Available on this  site as mentioned elsewhere. (If you are AT, then I can’t help you, but the maps are still there.) On my phone atm, which is not happy doing site wide searches.

Cobb did remove the S2 maps from the site. If by any chance you haven’t plugged the AP into your computer lately, you can turn off the auto update. I dunno if it’ll cause a problem if you get the latest version of the firmware, but I didn’t risk it. In the event your AP firmware is pre-update, I suspect you want to keep it that way.

Yeah, AT is automatic transmission.

Then you need the 2005.5 maps, vs. the 2005 ones. The “.5” is for autos.

I can’t tell from looking at the dropbox link which one that file is, but I bet you can.

This link might help?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qr16webgzyhd2r6/AABc-1seioPiBG5exdiLEyGCa/AP3-SUB-002?dl=0&subfolder_nav_tracking=1

I installed the MT stage 2 map from Relative4 (thank again!!) and it loaded up fine. Just waiting for time and money for an e-tune.

It's reasonably easy, but if you don't have the management software for the AP on your computer already, I would suggest trying to find an older version than the current one, which (I think, no evidence to back this up) has been updated to reflect the "green power" fiasco restrictions on tuning. Ymmv.

If you can't find a download for that, I could probably dig up the one I found a while ago and send it to you....

Then, something like this:

-install AP Manager
-use APM to find the file/map you need and load it onto the AP -> pretty easy, it's a fairly intuitive bit of software

-plug AP with desired map into the car, and follow the directions is gives you

If, like me, you didn't realize there is a second set of "green connectors" below the glove box, there is. The other set is kind of tucked up behind the fuse box, or thereabouts. They need to be connected to flash the ECM. As stated elsewhere, there are probably Utube videos to help you out. I just mucked around until I found the connectors.

Have a fully charged battery, and/or chuck a charger on the battery while flashing. Doesn't take long, but the word on the street is that if your battery is weak and dies midway thorugh, you brick the ECU. Again, I can't speak to it, but did use a charger just in case. Probably a good idea, as I found out not long after my battery was garbage and wasn't holding a charge. Guess I got lucky.

I would guess that the atv300.ptm is "automatic tranmission v.300" so, yeah. probably the right one. Sorry, but it's been a bit since I did this to my car.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no v.400 maps for Stage 2, those were all post fiasco.....

To be clear, I'm not a tuner, just a guy that turns wrenches, and follows instructions when it comes to electronics, so while this worked for me, I have throw out the disclaimer that doing what the software tells you to do shouldn't harm anything. No promises.

You DO however, definitely need that Stage 2 tune for the aftermarket DP. Ideally you do have a cat in it, since there isn't any meaningful power gain from going catless in an otherways stock car, and the lack of a cat might cause some CELs down the road. That of couse is up to you, and the hardware you have.

Okay that sounds good. I actually have a appointment next Tuesday to get pro tuned through a open source.  This is definitely temporarily just need to get too a from work . I'm leaving next Friday for a 6 hour road trip thankfully my car goes in next Tuesday before we head out. Also the insatl process of the Map is just like how I would install any other cobb ots maps?if I'm right. 

Yeah. Exact same.

Didn't realize you'd installed other maps. Just throw the appropriate octane Stage 2 map on, and enjoy the additional little bit of power!

I would guess that if that is all the hardware you've got, you'll be fine on the OTS map, but a pro tune will get you sorted. I've been one Cobb Stage 2 with an EL header, UP, DP custom turbo and full exhaust, and all safe so far, based on monitoring with the AP.

Enjoy the ride, and good luck with the tune!

Definitely man thank you I'm excited for Tuesday lol. Also I'm going to attach a picture of my exhaust I know someone attached a picture of the difference but I still can't tell 😭.And I noticed my front diff seal is leaking a little. I went and looked at the shop notes from 4 weeks ago and they also noticed the front diff leak but they said it not bad at all and to watch my fluids on it.  Is that going to affect the tune by chance 🤔 

No catalytic there, unless it's further back, closer to the flange. (probably not)

Slight diff leak will be just fine. Pretty common, and and easy fix down the road. $5 seal, but a bit of an annoying job.

Looks like you're all good. Open source tune should be able to take care of any CELs that might come up related to not having a cat.

Might be worth asking them to delete the lines of code related to the temp sensor in the UP pipe while they are at it for when you replace the stock UP with one that doesn't have a cat. Debatebly a critical thing to do, since online legent suggests the UP cat will detonate and take out your turbo. I replaced mine as a precaution, but other seem to have been just fine for a long time on stock.

Or look up the 'resistor fix' for the temp sensor. Many have done this, myself included and the results are just fine.