LegacyGT.com

Sporty Sedans mentioned, Legacy conspicuously Absent...

I was watching speed channel earlier this evening, specifically the "World's Greatest Auto Shows" or something, about three people talking about cars at car shows...

They had a small segment on some of the sporty sedans at the show... I beleive this was the South Florida Auto Show, in Miami.

They mentioned the new passat. Nice, upscale, and German... not particularly sporty. V6, yadda, yadda, yadda.

They mentioned the Mitsubishi Galant RalliArt... Oooh, sporty looking... AAAAWWWWH... 230hp, 250lb-ft. Mivec V6... but even they admitted the interior was low-rent.

And then they gushed over the Nissan Altima SE-R for 5 broadcast minutes, test drive, and everything... WOW, 260 horsepower 3.5 V6... Sport suspension that is "so tight!" (while video shows them crawling down a residential suburbian street at about 20mph... I sh_t you not.)

[my editorial]

All FWD crap. V6 *YAWWWWN*. Whoopity-do! The Passat looks like it is boring as anything. The Galant looks like a poor shadow of VR4s gone by, and the Nissan SE-R may be fine, and have lots of options, but it is still a FWD car with a torquey V6... Hellooo torque-steer.

BTW... No mention of Subaru (I got into the show a bit before half way...) they had the inane hosts picking their dream cars... and talking about what sort of cars, like the hyundai accent, are really nice and appeal to the hispanic audiences at the Miami show... (the commentary was really elementary an inane anyway, so I don't know what I was expecting... :rolleyes: )

As they pan past the Subaru booth, (filler video, during other commentary) they showed a new WRB WRX STI, and, of course, a LEGACY GT SPEC B!!!!

Why the hell was that not mentioned in the "Fun, Fast, Family-car feature."

Damned automotive press... Barely even give Subaru the time of day... The GT Spec B (even the regular GT) is superior performer, and better looking than ALL of the sporty sedans they mentioned... mentioning the Subie probably would have interrupted their blubbering over the Nissan, though.

If the Automotive press is anything like the mainstream news, that could actually be a complement, though... I can't trust anything I see or read anymore, from any angle. Maybe the lack of media attention is due to the LGT being too "real" for them to handle. Yeah, that's it! :lol:

Anybody else catch this? (especially the beginning, in case I missed a big Subaru showcase... but I doubt it.)

Thats the way it always is for Subarus sadly, they are always looked over, unless someone doing the show drives/ has driven one, or Subaru is putting coin in to the station as adds. It really sucks because Subaru's deserve so much respect, but thanks to the recent Gold safety rating and lots of other good reviews by the NTSB Subaru's are gonna get the best kind of reviews!

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I didn't see that show, but I ahve to say all teh $30k or $35k sporty sedan shootouts the magazines have been running have mostly been loaded with crap. Or OK cars that don't really quite meet their price guideline.

Perfect example C&D $35,000 sports sedans.

The lineup:

Acura TL

Audi A4 3.2 Quattro

BMW 330i

Cadillac CTS

Infiniti G35

Lexus IS350

Saab 9-3 Aero

Volvo S60R AWD

There are some real dogs on there, and half the field blows the $35,000 budget by a lot if your car actually resembles what they will sell you off a lot The Audi A4 in particular is notorious for not being available at the base MSRP price. The BMW will join it, and the S60R is over $38k without any options.

I think it would be real amusing to run that pack up against somethign along the lines of the following

Subaru Legacy Gt limited

Honda accord V6

Pontiac grand prix GXP

volkswagen passat 3.6

Nissan Altima SE-R

Mazdaspeed Mazda 6

It'd make for some fun honest comparisons.

Sadly, in 2005 you could compare the LGT to many mainstream $25K sedans, and it would destroy them in every category. But now in 2006 you'll spend at LEAST $30K for a LGT, which puts you into much rarer air. The difference between a TSX and a LGT is much more nebulous in the average consumer's eyes.

Also, to be fair a lot of FWD cars don't have any problem with torque steer. My old GTP (240HP, 280ftlbs) had absolutely zero torque steer. And that's about the worst-case scenario you can imagine for a FWD car, short of the old FWD 300HP STS.

IMHO, torque steer is a conquered demon that automotive journalists continue to harp on to bash FWD cars they don't like.

Not that I like FWD any more than the next guy...

• 5 years later...

Archived