LegacyGT.com

LGT random stall coming to idle

‘11 LGT stock (OTS S1) USDM (6spd), yesterday after driving 30 miles I stopped at a light, foot off accelerator, as RPM dropped to idle engine surged once then it stalled. Restarted right up, driving away RPM fell noticeably fast when shifting 1->2 but otherwise fine. Next stop no issue. Another stop later I had to give it a little gas to prevent stall coming to a stop. Parked, checked for codes on accessport, there were none. Uninstalled accessport as first step troubleshooting.

8 hours later drove 30 miles it tired to stall once or twice but saved it by giving some gas. Today it stalled in the morning coming to stop while cold. This evening it stalled four times on way home. The third time it stalled I grabbed my phone and started videoing. As usual it started right back up, I gave a stab at throttle and sure enough it did its thang: rpms drop too low, surge back up on its own then stalls…video below

-only happens when rpms falling to idle

-happens hot or cold

-ac on or off

-doesn’t happen consistently

Leaning towards possibly the coupling that goes from tmic to throttle body.

What is your vacuum at idle/or boost from AP without AC on fully warmed up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's not consistent, I'd start with cleaning the throttle body and maf sensor. If it persists, it sounds like the iac in the throttle body is going bad. Just recently ran into this issue on an 04 Forester. The problem was worse with the ac on. No codes, fuel trims fine, fixed some split hoses and nothing worked. At a stop, the idle would dip to 500 and slowly go down to around 300. A new throttle body and relearn did the trick!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Follow-up: didn’t drive much for rest of June while I was down with COVID. Had dealer take a look while it was getting engine/trans/diff oils changed today. They couldn’t replicate issue but cleaned throttle plate and performed idle re-learn. Drove home with no stalls, hopefully resolved!🤞

Idle relearn will solve it briefly but you will eventually get some stalling. Just part of life with a vac leak on a turbo car. It sounds like you have a vac leak though. Most shops don't keep a pressure tester handy that can handle 10+ PSI that goes through a turbocharged engine. Go to a performance shop that has a dyno and they'll have one 100%. Still sounds like a vacuum leak. Unless you're on an aftermarket intake it's also highly unlikely the throttle plate is dirty. They don't get that dirty on these cars.

• 3 months later...