LegacyGT.com

Oil type and brand

Hi

Just looking for some insight on what type and brand to run in my 2022 legacy premium. I live in the northeast and always ran 5w-30 on my other cars due to the weather changes. I see turbo models require 0w-20? Read that online somewhere but i was thinking of running kirkland brand full synthetic 5w-30 on my car. Im putting 30k miles a year on her and oil changes every 6k is going to add up. I can get 4 (5 gallon) jugs from costco for 66$. Making an oil change around 16$ before buying the filter.

Any insight would be great

Thanks!

Amsoil would be great. :)

I'll agree with this. All three of my Subaru's are on Amsoil going for much longer oil change intervals.

PM NORULZleggy for more info.

My 05 GT wagon has over 150,000 miles on it's ej257, It was on Amsoil since it had about 3000 miles on it back in late summer 2012. That engine has none of the Subaru engines common to them.

It get's 5w-40 year round, both my turbo cars use that oil, European Classic Full SAP.

I sent a sample off to Blackstone Labs when the first Amsoil had 7000 miles on it, they said to leave it in till 9000 miles and send in another sample. I just change it 7-8000 miles.

I looked your car for you. I see it still uses the same filter.

https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-and-light-truck/2022/subaru/legacy/2-4l-4-cyl-engine-code-a-fa24-a-turbo/?volume=us-volume

It sounds like you drive a lot, that's great for these engines, you need to get the oil hot enough to boil the moisture out of it. My 09 Spec B only get's driven mainly on Saturday night going to dinner, but when driven its for at least 10 miles one way.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Valvoline 5w-30 conventional in my 08... 100k miles and 14 years later just did a leak down test and all cylinders perfect and within 3 percent.

based on that and owner's manual... 0w-20 Valvoline.

wife's turbo Mazda is 5w30 while non turbo is 0w20. wish Subaru would put 5w30 in their turbo cars.

Valvoline 5w-30 conventional in my 08... 100k miles and 14 years later just did a leak down test and all cylinders perfect and within 3 percent.

based on that and owner's manual... 0w-20 Valvoline.

wife's turbo Mazda is 5w30 while non turbo is 0w20. wish Subaru would put 5w30 in their turbo cars.

Thank you!

• 3 months later...

Run what the factory recommends for viscosity. Nothing wrong with 0W-20 as long as you use an API certified synthetic and quality filter. I only run AMSOIL, but any name brand will honesty do just fine. 5W-30 will decrease fuel economy, increase cold flow viscosity, take longer to heat up and cause the oil bypass valve to bleed off oil pressure for longer periods of time. If you're not consuming oil, no reason to change to 5W-30. 

• 1 month later...

Sounds like 5w-30 is the way to go for the turbo engine? I have left over 5w30 Castrol GTX Magnatec 5 gallon jug that I plan to use for my first oil change. I also bought a lot of Castrol EDGE Euro-Spec 0w-40 for my other car, 2018 Audi Q7 - am wondering if that can be mixed with a higher-weight Castrol Edge for use in my '22 Touring XT

2 hours ago, dohturdima said:

Sounds like 5w-30 is the way to go for the turbo engine? I have left over 5w30 Castrol GTX Magnatec 5 gallon jug that I plan to use for my first oil change. I also bought a lot of Castrol EDGE Euro-Spec 0w-40 for my other car, 2018 Audi Q7 - am wondering if that can be mixed with a higher-weight Castrol Edge for use in my '22 Touring XT

5W-30 was the recommended viscosity until the 2.4DIT. IMO, run the OEM recommended viscosity unless you see oil consumption. 0W-20 has no issue with the FA24DIT at the Subaru interval. These engines are also pretty good with fuel dilution, so the viscosity doesn't break down like other manufacturers. 

• Like 1

I run Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 with Wix filters with my 2022 Ascent, change my oil and filter every 4 months or 5000km. I did the same with my previous Outback, but it was a 2010 so I used 5w30, so far so good. I also make sure to get a good highway run on each of my cars every week, especially in the winter, since we do alot of short trips during the week.

I suspect that changing the oil regularly is more important than the brand, but I am hesitant to run a more viscous oil for newer engines...I assume all of the oil galleries and other passages are designed for 0w20, using a more viscous oil could (?should? reduce recirculation rate of oil throughout the engine since, to my knowledge, the pump is rotating at the same rate regardless of what oil you pour in.

My two cents, sticking with 0w20 in my Ascent!

My intervals are a lot longer than 3.5K miles - I routinely go 5-6K miles with synthetic oil and a decent filter (M1/Wix etc). Lately I don't drive nearly as much as I used to - barely 7K a year, and that's between two cars - so have been changing the oil once a year (!) with no issues due to low mileage (but Subaru recommends changing it at least once every 6 moths regardless of mileage, so it's best to do that).  I had pretty good experience with Mobil1 filters and their sythtetic oil, so probably with stay with it for the Legacy.

Edited by dohturdima