LegacyGT.com

New turbo first startup procedure?

Reading up on NASIOC, people recommend pulling the ignition fuse, which I cannot find on this car (08 5MT), then cranking it for 10s three to five times in a row to prime the turbo with oil.

I can find the fuel pump fuse but am worried that somehow the engine will fire up with residual fuel in the lines. Or is that entirely impossible?

Do we have an ignition fuse? Anything else I need to do?

There are a few ways to skin this cat.

First would be to prefill the turbo before connecting the feed lines. Use a small syringe ....say something like kids pain reliever little plastic jobber or similar.

Pull the spark plugs and crank for a bit. Can't fire up without plugs.

Ignition circuit fuse.

Fuel pump fuse is an option as is holding the go pedal to the floor. Most fuel injected vehicles will go into flood mode and shut off injector firing when the throttle is WOT during cranking. You may get an attempted start from any leftovers.

Use good oil.

Why did we change the turbo? Failure or upgrade?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

There are a few ways to skin this cat.

First would be to prefill the turbo before connecting the feed lines. Use a small syringe ....say something like kids pain reliever little plastic jobber or similar.

Pull the spark plugs and crank for a bit. Can't fire up without plugs.

Ignition circuit fuse.

Fuel pump fuse is an option as is holding the go pedal to the floor. Most fuel injected vehicles will go into flood mode and shut off injector firing when the throttle is WOT during cranking. You may get an attempted start from any leftovers.

Use good oil.

Why did we change the turbo? Failure or upgrade?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Neither actually. It was sweating oil in the middle, so I decided to preemptively rebuild it.

It’s already mounted so living that way is not an option.

Pulling plugs is a massive pain in the ass on these cars. Seems like the fuel pump fuse is the easiest option, unless I can easily disconnect the coil wires.

FWIW, Yeah I'm that guy, when I installed the vf52 Aug 2011. After putting some oil in the turbo feed fitting before connecting the stock oil feed line. I started the engine like I do every time. You get full oil pressure much faster than you think.

I also just started the ej257 when it came time. I had the fuel system primed a few times before starting the ej257. When it came time to start it the first time, the engine cranked over 3 times and was at idle, just like every day.

That vf52 has over 160,000 miles on it, ej257 has 150,000+ miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here