LegacyGT.com

Defi Triple Gauge pack installed but need help with wiring

9788abffa439c29b38ed43860d2d35ef.jpg

I have successful installed the gauge pack portion into my 06 ll bean and just need help with wiring. Below are pictures of it installed and the power wires coming from it, there's a white, black, red, and orange. Can someone tell how to wire these? I'm assuming I should tap into the 12v on the cigarette lighter as it is constant. But which wires go where? Any help is much appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do the gauges wire in, as in the sending units, etc? No directions since it was all new?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Where should I wire in the wires from the first picture, there's a black, red, white, and orange. This is what it says on defi's manual online

6a35ed967e4cbacc1a6e4ada19ab46bc.jpg

What are those wires being used for? Are they just powering the lights on the gauges (or a Defi-link)?

If it's just the lights or a Defi-link, then you can tap into a switched source with orange (interior lights or something similar that can be turned on when the key is at ACC, but not when the key is off), a constant 12V source for red, and a ground for black. I would assume there is a relay inside the gauge pack, which is why there is a signal wire. You can literally connect red and black to the battery but I wouldn't do that unless there is an easy to access fuse in the gauge pack. I wouldn't pull power from an existing circuit like the 12V DC plug in without understanding how much current those gauges are going to pull.

You could add a fuse on the power side to protect the gauges if the fuse is hard to get to, or there isn't one.

The wiring diagrams in the FSM, I think, tell you what circuits are powered under what conditions, but you can also probe the fuse holder to figure it out. The orange wire will probably be connected behind the interior fuse panel/above the foot tray panel under the steering column where wires are somewhat accessible (it's hard to see and work under there at times).

If it's stand-alone sensors and gauges then you probably have more work ahead of you but we can't help with that unless we know what you are dealing with.

What are those wires being used for? Are they just powering the lights on the gauges (or a Defi-link)?

If it's just the lights or a Defi-link, then you can tap into a switched source with orange (interior lights or something similar that can be turned on when the key is at ACC, but not when the key is off), a constant 12V source for red, and a ground for black. I would assume there is a relay inside the gauge pack, which is why there is a signal wire. You can literally connect red and black to the battery but I wouldn't do that unless there is an easy to access fuse in the gauge pack. I wouldn't pull power from an existing circuit like the 12V DC plug in without understanding how much current those gauges are going to pull.

You could add a fuse on the power side to protect the gauges if the fuse is hard to get to, or there isn't one.

The wiring diagrams in the FSM, I think, tell you what circuits are powered under what conditions, but you can also probe the fuse holder to figure it out. The orange wire will probably be connected behind the interior fuse panel/above the foot tray panel under the steering column where wires are somewhat accessible (it's hard to see and work under there at times).

If it's stand-alone sensors and gauges then you probably have more work ahead of you but we can't help with that unless we know what you are dealing with.

They're just powering the lights on the gauges I believe? There's no defi link on this unit. I saw a post on nasioc I think that was a tutorial on to wire gauges and the guy basically said to splice into the factory radio harness. Is that a possibility here?

Looking at another variant of the pack, it has a setup where it has an inline connector for what looks like the stereo plug. I've powered gauges from radio harness before, should be fine.

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/rare-oem-defi-sti-gauge-pack.587930/

I'm assuming you just haven't shown all the other wiring and sensors for feeding data to the gauges and this is just the power/lights part.

Looking at another variant of the pack, it has a setup where it has an inline connector for what looks like the stereo plug. I've powered gauges from radio harness before, should be fine.

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/rare-oem-defi-sti-gauge-pack.587930/

I'm assuming you just haven't shown all the other wiring and sensors for feeding data to the gauges and this is just the power/lights part.

There's only other 3 other wires that attach to the back of the din unit, 1 wire for each sensor that goes into the engine bay. So if my radio harness has the same color wires (red, black, white, and orange) do I just connect the wires from the gauge to the corresponding colors on the radio harness?

There's only other 3 other wires that attach to the back of the din unit, 1 wire for each sensor that goes into the engine bay. So if my radio harness has the same color wires (red, black, white, and orange) do I just connect the wires from the gauge to the corresponding colors on the radio harness?

The red and black may match up, but there are often multiple red and black wires on the back of the stereo, and orange is not going to be what you need it to be. Colors are not consistent between different manufacturers products (even power and grounds often change color depending on application - lots of power/ground wires in the body are blue, green or purple, with different color tracers). You need to look in the FSM to figure out what wires go where if you are trying to tap into things behind the stereo instead of behind the fuse panel.

EDIT: according to the 2008 FSM, you will probably find switched power is violet (satellite) or yellow/red (stereo), black is ground and constant power to the 12V DC plug is yellow/green.

I don't know if the colors are consistent from year to year. You need to look in the FSM for your year and figure that out.

EDIT2: I checked the 2005 FSM and switched power is yellow/red on connector i26. I don't know where to find a 2006 FSM so you need to do some more digging or pull the stereo out and see if the colors match the other years.

Edited by lagwagon

Take a look at the link that Infosecdad posted.

The OEM STI gauges use a pigtail adapter to power the gauges. I would use this same setup but you'll need to tap into the wiring harness instead of it being plug and play.

Edited by Holla

I'm kind of in the same boat, have a USDM pack installed but was missing the illumination pigtail. If you figure out what the pinout is for the illumination plug, I would hope it is the same on mine.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

You can tap into the radio harness, I tapped into the fuse box because I didn't feel like removing the radio stereo trim.

Here is the pinout for the radio harness

http://ae64.com/Legacy-pinout.htm

Your wires will go to the following

Orange (illum+) : 1

Red (12v constant) : 10

Black (Ground) : 11

White (12v with ign on) : 14

Ground can tap into most screws that go into metal. Use a multimeter and set to ohm. Touch a piece of bare metal and the screw you want to use. Closer to 0 is better.

Edited by Ratmilk

Check the direction of the tap on the upper right, it matters which way its installed (wire up or wire down). Yours is down and mine is up... I think one of us has it wrong (it could be me).

Edit - In the correct direction power for each circuit goes through its own fuse. In the wrong direction power for both circuits goes through original fuse and could overload it.

If yours is right let me know so I can flip mine :)

If I remember right every other row in the fuse box required the tap to be installed in the other direction, ie The 1st, 3ed and 5th row the tap wire goes up, 2ed and 4th row the wire goes down.

Gary

Edited by All_talk

Check the direction of the tap on the upper right, it matters which way its installed (wire up or wire down). Yours is down and mine is up... I think one of us has it wrong (it could be me).

Edit - In the correct direction power for each circuit goes through its own fuse. In the wrong direction power for both circuits goes through original fuse and could overload it.

If yours is right let me know so I can flip mine :)

If I remember right every other row in the fuse box required the tap to be installed in the other direction, ie The 1st, 3ed and 5th row the tap wire goes up, 2ed and 4th row the wire goes down.

Gary

Well I tried every orientation I can think of and still no power getting to the gauges. Is there something obvious that I'm not seeing? 🥲 I checked all 4 fuses and none are blown.

You can tap into the radio harness, I tapped into the fuse box because I didn't feel like removing the radio stereo trim.

Here is the pinout for the radio harness

http://ae64.com/Legacy-pinout.htm

Your wires will go to the following

Orange (illum+) : 1

Red (12v constant) : 10

Black (Ground) : 11

White (12v with ign on) : 14

Ground can tap into most screws that go into metal. Use a multimeter and set to ohm. Touch a piece of bare metal and the screw you want to use. Closer to 0 is better.

That's what I was going to do but the shop that installed my sound system already tapped into it and I didn't wanna tap into again and mess something up