LegacyGT.com

heat shield for cat on Dp ?

The other day, someone posted a picture of the heat shield they installed over the cat on the Dp to protect the axle boot.

Can whoever posted it, please do it here. Thanks.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks, ordered. They did say,

"We wanted to say thank you for your recent order — and let you know that the extended shipping date you were provided at checkout isn’t how we normally like things to work. Fast, easy shipping is something we pride ourselves on, and we’re working hard to get your product(s) to you as soon as possible. Please allow 7-10 business days for your order to be processed and shipped."

I just added that link to JmP's sticky about various parts.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

There is a thought the wrap retains moisture, causing rust.

Here's why I'm replacing the Dp on my Spec B. I bought it used, wrapped about 8 years ago. Had to check my book, I didn't list when I installed it but the GS tmic was done May 2 2015, I know the Dp was before that.

DSCN9676.thumb.JPG.700061079f0d49064054ccffa728f866.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

+1 to what Max said, the wrap will retain moisture. After a rainy day you'll find your undercarriage will be mostly dry while the wrap retains moisture. It will also collect the dew that percolates from the ground.

- Someone who wrapped their headers and downpipe

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

+1 to what Max said, the wrap will retain moisture. After a rainy day you'll find your undercarriage will be mostly dry while the wrap retains moisture. It will also collect the dew that percolates from the ground.

- Someone who wrapped their headers and downpipe

So......while I get this I think it is all circumstantial and depends on conditions, drive time, etc. Ypu have to think about the downpipe and how hot it gets so long as you drive the car long enough to get it to temp. Unless you only drive less than that and were in total slop is it going to retain moisture. Max's was used when he instslled it 8+ yrs ago. I think he got his moneys worth. I ended up wrapping my Cobb DP about 14" from the top down. I will end up installing one of the DesignEngineering shield/wraps on the DP to protect the half shaft boots from degrading....further. My opinion.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

So......while I get this I think it is all circumstantial and depends on conditions, drive time, etc. Ypu have to think about the downpipe and how hot it gets so long as you drive the car long enough to get it to temp. Unless you only drive less than that and were in total slop is it going to retain moisture. Max's was used when he instslled it 8+ yrs ago. I think he got his moneys worth. I ended up wrapping my Cobb DP about 14" from the top down. I will end up installing one of the DesignEngineering shield/wraps on the DP to protect the half shaft boots from degrading....further. My opinion.

Yup pretty much, I figure 5+ years on stuff that gets heat cycled a ton is a win. I’m more freaked out about a wrap catching fire from combustible soak of some sort. Not as big an issue if you pay attention to what’s going on with your car on a regular basis. Gotta say though, my recent CV failure would have left a hellscape of highly flammable, sticky petroleum product all over a wrap had I chose to do it.

I always have wrapped mine on previous cars, I have and continue to use the dei silicone sealer spray, I live in an area with mild ish weather but snow in the Winters.

Last car was Audi TT much less of the dp was exposed on that car but mine was still good to go after 8 years when I sold it

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
If you have an aftermarket DP I would suggest a downpipe blanket. Easy to install and remove (while still on vehicle) and has the double duty of protecting the axle boot.

UPS says it should be delivered on Monday.

UPS says it should be delivered on Monday.
Which did you order Max? This, or something to protect the axle boot is on the list.

After further review, I wrapped the upper foot or so of the Cobb DP that appears the be where the blanket will cover (looking at the bellmouth shape). I am thinking the stand off heat shield will better suite my needs plus less fabric to risk fluid contamination....ie boots slinging grease. I have to tackle those inner clamps asap.

Edited by whitexc

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to installing it.

I had to get a 4 1/2" clamp so the shield could fit around the top of the catted Invidia Dp. I was able to use the clamp that came in kit just below the bottom of the cat.

Sorry, didn't get any bottom up shots.

DSCN9751.thumb.JPG.f17a9192425ffad3a63e371feed8efff.JPG

DSCN9753.thumb.JPG.3db172ed3bd5c828c07eef440da92b95.JPG

I'm thinking that a 10" long shield would fit better, using the supplied clamps. Or may be a 7" shield would be even better as it would allow all the stand off's to fit over the cat. As now the bottom of the shield is against the bottom of the cat.

I'll add, both my cars have the same Invidia Dp, neither have any issues with the axle boot. That's the OEM boot the Spec B came with.