LegacyGT.com

Brake upgrade question

I know this thread has probably been done to death, but are there any upgraded brakes for the front of Legacy GTs that would fit over stock wheels? Like 4 piston calipers? I just think I could use a little extra braking but I don’t want to spend 3-4K buying new wheels x8 and summer/snow tires. Seems like it could get pretty expensive. And I live in WI so not having snows isn’t an option. Thanks!

Our brake calipers from factory are quite robust. You'd find it plenty to upgrade to Hawk HPS 5.0 pads and some decent blank rotors.

My Brembos are expensive on their own, let alone with pads, rotors, the lines, etc. You're definitely right not going down that route. However, the "cheap" alternative of Cadillac Brembo calipers still won't fit under stock wheels.

What do you mean by "extra" braking? More feel? Better stopping distance (that's gonna be a tire upgrade, not a brake upgrade)? Resistance to fade and overheating?

I just use better pads, because, not race car.

Make sure you read the sticky about brakes at the top of that forum.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/clints-tips-and-tricks-brakes-58401.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah, maybe it’s psychological and I just need to convince myself it’s ok. I have SS brake lines, Hawk High performance ceramic pads, centric rotors, I flushed it with Motul brake fluid and have that Master Cylinder brace. I probably should have gotten HPS pads, but it’s too late now. To me it just seems like 4 pistons per side would be better than 2. Lol.

Seems like something to do if you had an extra 3K or so burning a hole in your pocket. For a DD, it doesn’t make the most sense. But if you were racing, or autocrossing it, it would be a good idea. Heck if I lived in a warmer climate, or would park the car in Winter, I might do it. But to get all new Summer and Winter wheels and tires? And the calipers? Nah.. There’s plenty of other things I can save my money for. Like oil, and rising gas prices.

The 3K I paid is worth it for my street car that had original calipers in unknown condition that I didn’t wanna keep on the car anyways as well as for the monumental improvements in brake feel. To each their own, of course. I bought my wheels knowing full well I wanted Brembos underneath them :)

I know this thread has probably been done to death, but are there any upgraded brakes for the front of Legacy GTs that would fit over stock wheels? Like 4 piston calipers? I just think I could use a little extra braking but I don’t want to spend 3-4K buying new wheels x8 and summer/snow tires. Seems like it could get pretty expensive. And I live in WI so not having snows isn’t an option. Thanks!
I completely rebuilt my calipers. New Pistons, new seals, new hardware. SS lines, and fluid flush. Front rotors are:

https://racingbrake.com/2020

Rear are:

Racing Brake Slotted Rotors for Subaru Impreza WRX Rear Pair 06-07 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KKYKWGW/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_DGBKGPPATBHQKN4A1MW7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

So for a little over $900 you are moving up to 2 piece front rotors and getting a better rear rotor. They offer a rear 316x18mm and caliper brackets but they're only available in drilled/slotted so if you wanted them to match you would need the drilled/slotted fronts. Which is just an option at checkout.

I'm on the fence about selling mine and switching to the rear BBK. Because, can't leave well enough alone...

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk