LegacyGT.com

Turbo coolant hose (Help needed!)

So, when taking off the transmission, I noticed a crusty ol coolant hose under the turbo. Since I don't know when I'll ever get to this again, it's gotta be changed. Anyone have any experience with this? Do I need to drain the coolant and take off the turbo to get at it? It really looks like it's going to fail and I've got the parts ready, I just need some advice. Thanks!

1281151922_ScreenShot2021-08-05at12_42_34PM.png.37d725b7e4df76b072abb24aed04b662.png

IMG_3290.jpg.dc40d5c68d84989779a895042507f617.jpg

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT

If I'm seeing the photo correctly, I believe that is your oil return hose and not related to the coolant. Coolant hose is that "U"-shaped hose near the top-left of your parts diagram. It's usually covered in a foil-like material.

Link for replacement oil return hose and spring clamps: https://www.fastwrx.com/products/turbo-oil-return-line-hose-to-head

If I'm seeing the photo correctly, I believe that is your oil return hose and not related to the coolant. Coolant hose is that "U"-shaped hose near the top-left of your parts diagram. It's usually covered in a foil-like material.

Link for replacement oil return hose and spring clamps: https://www.fastwrx.com/products/turbo-oil-return-line-hose-to-head

Funny, the spring clips in that link are what Subaru recommends for only the bottom of it, for the top there's a thicker hose clamp they recommend. And I got all that from the dealership, the hose, hose clamp and spring clip.

1843958525_ScreenShot2021-08-11at3_36_20PM.thumb.png.366257da03ee20284e645bd09654c397.png

Has the filter from the banjo bolt been removed ? if not, now would be a good time.

I replaced that one 30,000 miles ago. I plan on changing both every time I do the timing belt. I just don't feel comfortable deleting it. I might change my mind about deleting the one behind the timing belt cover, but I've got some time to decide.

Pull the turbo, no other way you're getting at it that would be anywhere near as easy.

Yeah, you're telling me! I struggled and swore, used too much silicone spray, but I got it. Hopefully there won't be a next time, but I suppose if I ever replace/upgrade the turbo, I'll replace that then as well.. Definitely would have been easier removing the turbo.

From what I have ready replacement of that hose is one of the trickiest bits of a turbo swap also, I have seen long pliers , finness and patience recommend highly...good luck

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The rubber tube went on fairly decent, I got the top in first and then bent and twisted the lower part on, with the clips in the middle. Then, putting the clips in place..

The bottom clip wasn't that horrible, I zip tied it together and it slid down and over the metal return tube, then I obviously cut the zip tie. The upper part(hose clamp) was the REAL bugger. That one, I swore way too much and almost freaked out trying to get it where it needed to be. In the end, it took super long extended reach needle nose pliers and a beefy metal hanger I typically use for holding up brake calipers.

I had to actually shape a tool of sorts with that to pull the clip in and sneak it close enough to grab both tabs with the pliers. Once I had the two spring clip tabs secure with the pliers up as far as I could, only then could I blast a little more silicone spray and weasel it over the metal tube. Once it was finally on, and I was sure about it, could I then use a flat head screwdriver to twist it up into place. But there's no room to work in there, and you can only see it from below, with the transmission out. I couldn't get at it from the side, above or anything.

Never really thought that was going to be one of the hardest part of the whole clutch job.

Honestly tho, I've got a lot to learn about these cars if I really thought that hose was coolant. :lol: Guess I was so used to replacing so many random coolant hoses around the engine, that that's what I thought it was. I didn't give much thought to why there'd be coolant going into the turbo. Thank you amm203 for correcting me, that actually gave me more courage to tackle it. But honestly, I would gladly wait another 257,000 miles before doing that job again. Edited by Jolbaru_LGT

Coolant does go into the turbo as well, just not from that hose.

right. I do remember replacing those now that I think about it. One of the first hoses I replaced, just a bloated, leaking hose, connecting coolant to the turbo. I also remember that metal tube being very white and crusty.

I really try to do the best I can replacing everything I see that's nasty. Only to find out what it is later on.. Here's the new one.

IMG_1748.thumb.jpg.cf17699b26543fc240856b3d09b3272d.jpg

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT

Yeah, long reach needle nose pliers worked great. Maybe long reach bent nose would work well too? Hard to say because I didn’t have one on hand. I wished I could have had that clip pre tensioned that you release like some are from Subaru. But being a return hose, maybe you would only need two of the thin wire spring clips? I’m not sure, I usually tend to do what the factory originally intended.

06B47776-6182-48AE-8EEF-0227A40D17C5.png.8a4f1a4c53e2e52d90477935743836f2.png