LegacyGT.com

just crashed into a telephone pole... please dont bash me, just help!!!

Alex1

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again, our definition of opinions must be very different. I'm not denying you anything. Say what you will, but I'm simply pointing out the pot calling the kettle black. Don't give "heat" to someone because you feel you have the right to. What right? And wether you know it or not, you do assume many of us don't know what the hell were doing in a car because we don't talk about what we do on a minute to minute basis. (go back and reread some of your posts)

Your right in one thing, you should stop the "people don't know how to drive" attitude. It comes off as pompous and self-righteous.

amen

Alex by hitting that pole you have done much more than damaged your car. You have changed this forum forever!!! j/k
Maybe we'll all be nicer to one another from now on. I know I never gave anyone crap for getting in to an accident because they don't need it (or deserve it many times) and some day you yourself might find yourself in their situation.

Eventually most people will at some point in their life have a booboo. The earlier the better probably, you learn quicker that way I guess. Unless you have that attitude some young (and even old) people have where they believe they've done nothing wrong, even though it was them 100%. example: 17 yr olds crashing their STIs on nasioc and blaming it on the stock tires which aren't even all season, or crashing their WRXs and blaming it on the RE92s. Sometimes I wonder if they actually learn anything from that incident.

My question was why in two different cars (Civic and LGT) placed in the same situation (braking to stop at the stop sign from a low speed and hitting a small pothole while braking) ABS would engage in once car (Civic) and won't engage in another (LGT). Given my low speed and conditions (dry road surface) I do not believe ABS should have engaged and yet it did. Consequently, I am inclined to think that there is a deficiency in ABS design on the Civic rather than to believe that a wheel was actually about to get locked up. Am I wrong to think that?

Let me clarify your statements regarding ABS. ABS is designed to PREVENT wheel lockup. If a wheel locks up, your ABS is not doing its job.

Per "Howstuffworks.com":

A controller monitors the speed sensors at all times. It is looking for decelerations in the wheel that are out of the ordinary. Right before a wheel locks up, it will experience a rapid deceleration. If left unchecked, the wheel would stop much more quickly than any car could. It might take a car five seconds to stop from 60 mph (96.6 kph) under ideal conditions, but a wheel that locks up could stop spinning in less than a second. The ABS controller knows that such a rapid deceleration is impossible, so it reduces the pressure to that brake until it sees an acceleration, then it increases the pressure until it sees the deceleration again. It can do this very quickly, before the tire can actually significantly change speed. The result is that the tire slows down at the same rate as the car, with the brakes keeping the tires very near the point at which they will start to lock up. This gives the system maximum braking power.

-S

My question was why in two different cars (Civic and LGT) placed in the same situation (braking to stop at the stop sign from a low speed and hitting a small pothole while braking) ABS would engage in once car (Civic) and won't engage in another (LGT). Given my low speed and conditions (dry road surface) I do not believe ABS should have engaged and yet it did. Consequently, I am inclined to think that there is a deficiency in ABS design on the Civic rather than to believe that a wheel was actually about to get locked up. Am I wrong to think that?

civic = less weight over the front wheels, thus easier lockup. And, maybe the programming is a bit agressive on the ABS computer (anybody with an 02-03 WRX knows what I am talking about ;) )

Hey Alex, I feel for you. I crashed my brand new car when I was 16 and was totally bummed for a long time. Just be glad you are fine- you can replace/fix your car (not so your body) and in a few months it will just be a memory. I'm sure you'll learn from your mistake and become a better driver. We all make mistakes, be thankful you are alive to learn from it! Try not to pay attention to the negative stuff here on the board. Everyone has their opinions and are entitled to them- but you don't have to read them either! :icon_bigg It'll just bum you out more than you already are.

Don't worry about what the insurance company is going to do. They will fix your car and if you find a good body shop you probaly won't be able to tell it was ever in an accident.

At least you have good taste at 17 and in a few years you'll hopefully be driving whatever the latest and greatest Subaru has to offer!

tom

BTW, where in Boston are you? I lived in Cambridge for many years and miss it every winter.

tom :)

man...sorry for your bit of bad luck. Atleast you weren't hurt. Looks to me though that you were going a over 20 mph..U eff'd up that front end bro. But I could be wrong. Good luck w/ everything...oh yeah and if I were you...I would sign up for defensive driving.. :icon_bigg You get a discount on insurance.

voyetra8- dude..take off your freakin priest collar or nun hat whichever way you go.

Looks to me though that you were going a over 20 mph..U eff'd up that front end bro. But I could be wrong.

Yeah, same on my end. It looks faster than 20 but there's no telling unless we've got another legacy that tried to argue with a telephone pole to compare it to.

No point in telling the poor guy he's lying about how fast he went. He knows, and he has to deal with it on his own terms anyway.

oh I wasn't trying to make the guy feel worse than he does. I was just stating what I thought from looking at the damage. He has to file the claim w/ his insurance company. If he says he was going 20 mph, the insurance adjuster is going to see the damage and may not agree with his statement.

oh I wasn't trying to make the guy feel worse than he does. I was just stating what I thought from looking at the damage. He has to file the claim w/ his insurance company. If he says he was going 20 mph, the insurance adjuster is going to see the damage and may not agree with his statement.

I wasn't saying that to you, but I think others implied he had to be.

Sometimes it doesn't take a lot of speed to make a real mess but usually when the bumper beam is hit they can tell fairly well I imagine (them experts who do this for a living).

Alan - I would definately start shopping for rates. I had an accident when I was 17 (totaled but the car was worth only 4 grand) and the insurance rate went from about $600 to a little more then $1500 for full coverage. That said I went with liability insurance for $1200 but I don't think you'll have that option as you have a new car and your parents are probably financing the purchase. Aside from that the insurance company made me and my parents sign a contract saying that I cannot drive their cars for 4 years or they won't insure it for the damages that I cause and their rates would have went up alot if I didn't agree to that. Even though we did sign that agreement the insurance for my parents would still have went up a bit if I was still their plan and so they decided to put me on my own plan.

Glad to see that your safe though.

hahaha... thanks for the info and stories everyone.

1) i have no previous tickets, i've been stopped twice... but thank god no ticekts

2) the incident on sunday, althought i do not know my exact speed, can not be that fast because the Airbags did not go off, (ems said they should have) but i didnt get any citations or anything from the cops, they saw the road and completly understood what had happened, but dont argue over the speed because truthfully i dont even know, i can only speculate... looking at the spedometer wasnt really my first reaction when i was heading towards a telephone pole haha..

but thanks for the info on the driving schools and insurance rates and everything else...

i find out tmrw the damage report and everything, it got appraised today at the autobody shop with the insurance agent so they have to wait for the paperwork to go through i guess and i will find out tomorrow.

-Alex

So now you know what car instructors feel like.. they are actually risking their lives and trusting the student drivers.. that's why I appreciate my instructors (track or not).
Yea I can imagine how mine felt when I went through my defensive driving school (that was a blast). I just cringe up with any driver and brace my feet through the floor, I hate it, its so hard to relax riding shot gun. Thank god I have never been involved in an accident with someone else driving the car. I still get the heebie-jeebies getting on planes after being in a plane crash. I really hate not being in control.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Did this happen early Sunday morning (12/4)? I had a "holy crap" moment myself in the Metrowest Boston area, but was able to lift and countersteer before hitting the curb. Turns out that the untreated road I was on had a thin layer of ice covered by a layer of snow. I also saw a set of tracks heading off the road and a scuffed-up tree where they stopped.

Did this happen early Sunday morning (12/4)? I had a "holy crap" moment myself in the Metrowest Boston area, but was able to lift and countersteer before hitting the curb. Turns out that the untreated road I was on had a thin layer of ice covered by a layer of snow. I also saw a set of tracks heading off the road and a scuffed-up tree where they stopped.
That's what we had in Rochester on friday which is probably a contributing factor to why I wasn't really able to recover after the car started to spin on the train tracks.

Your pull overs might count against you too. For some reason my insurance company has records of my warnings although I had no points or fines assessed.

I guess that's possible if the cop entered info but didn't write a ticket. From friends who have been pulled over (issued tickets or not) they say the cop enters some info which I presume is in case they get pulled over again for a minor situation in the future. Eventually they might see a trend and hit you hard the next time. Maybe. :confused:

I'm not really sure how past events can come back to haunt you since I've never had any. Hopefully they won't haunt you though, but in the future maybe don't drive so that they have to stop you!

Alex,

Feel for you man...glad no humans were hurt in your experience with rapid deceleration.

My guess is $8,127.00. Please let us know who wins.

I bet the car will feel as good as new when you get it back - far better than whatever you drive in the interim. And, by the way, good choice with the black MT.

Stay chilly...

Archived