LegacyGT.com

just crashed into a telephone pole... please dont bash me, just help!!!

Alex1

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may be on your parent's insurance, but if you are still going to feel it. Your parents are going to hate life because it will affect their rates as well since you are still on the policy. All the good student discounts in the world won't offset the claim on a brand new car at your age. Just wait till you have to get your own policy... When you are paying $300 bucks a month for your insurance I'll bet you start looking for a different car to drive.

Still, it sucks about the accident. Nobody likes to breaks something this expensive. Nobody tries to do it, so don't be too hard on yourself. Take it as an expensive learning experience and move on.

Good luck getting the car fixed up. If you are going through your insurance to get it repaired then they will have a couple of prefered shops that you can choose from. My recomendation is to see if you can talk to previous customers of the shops they give you. Make sure they do a good job before you take the car in. You've already killed the resale value of the car by having this accident, but there isn't any reason the car has to look like it was wrecked once.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

voyetra please, thats just how things are. u think everything u've bought in life went through a cycle of honestly and integrity before it came under your ownership? no matter what people are buying or selling, they will always make things up to make the deal more appealing. you could sell a camera while advertising it to be "used once, 1 day old, mint, like new, not a scratch!" u couldve been using that camera for a year but have taken great care of it. it will, granted the product is good itself, work just as well as a camera that actually adheres to that ad. quote. people do it all the time. i get screwed, i "screw" people, never with malicious intent, however. people will do what they can to get the most money out of their dealings. its human nature

voyetra please, thats just how things are. u think everything u've bought in life went through a cycle of honestly and integrity before it came under your ownership? no matter what people are buying or selling, they will always make things up to make the deal more appealing. you could sell a camera while advertising it to be "used once, 1 day old, mint, like new, not a scratch!" u couldve been using that camera for a year but have taken great care of it. it will, granted the product is good itself, work just as well as a camera that actually adheres to that ad. quote. people do it all the time. i get screwed, i "screw" people, never with malicious intent, however.

Is this an attempt at justificaton?

If so, you'll have to come up with a better argument than this.

IE: Everyone else steals, so I will steal too, because after all that's just the way it is!

:icon_roll

Lets not let this degrade in to a debate on the virtues of theft.

I doubt anyone here condones insurance fraud, but I'm sure no one here would argue against someone that an insurance company is trying to take advantage of (ie not totaling a car that should be totaled). We all know both can happen, and neither is right.

We used to have a car ten years ago that might have been in a minor accident once before we got it used from a stealership. Whether or not the stealership knew or not is another issue. Fortunately it was never a problem, there were just some strange things to notice where it seems like something might have been repainted at one point in time.

exactly, i did not see theft is right, you, like most others do, just put it into terms that would make me look like an idiot. you apparently believe that everyone, including yourself, should and do follow "the rules." i'm just saying it doesn't happen that way. like emorphien said, insurance companies try to screw us too, but not by virtue of evilness (sometimes), but because they are money making institutions that still want a profit at the end of the day.

the society we live in isn't candyland, we can all attest to that.

Most important thing was you weren't hurt, regardless of what happened to the car. Subarus have really good crumple zones (my 04 Forester XT could attest to that after a header into a tree at about the same speed). Frame probably isn't damaged from the looks of it. Big question is was the impact enough to push the engine down a bit (designed to keep it from ending up in your lap). Probably not, if the bags didn't deploy, but they did on mine, and that's what ended up causing the insurance company to total it. If you're lucky enough to have USAA, then you won't have nearly the same issues with the insurance company. As for other companies, probably not as lucky. Hopefully you did have rental reimbursement, otherwise you're gonna be out of pocket on some serious change (unless you're gonna be hitching a lot of rides for the next few weeks)...

i'll tell you who the real thieves are, the insurance companies. i mean, we pay them monthly b/c we need "insurance" just to drive and this "insurance" that we pay for every month is supposed to cover us. then when we get in an accident we have to pay a deductable and our rates go up. why even pay for insurance in the first place, if we just need to pay more in the end after an accident. i don't see any promises of my rates going down if i don't crash, i just get the privledge of paying the insurance company again and again. okay sorry for the rant.

car's not totaled, but it will not be an enjoyable wait for the repairs to be made. i'm guessing in the ballpark of 5162 for the repair.

came up so fast, i hit the breaks but abs kicked in and so i let of a little to pump it because i haaate the abs in the leggy it kicks in too soon....

and dont give me any shit about beign 17, yeah im not that expierenced in the snow i know that, but i wasnt being a dick and messing aroudn either, so it could have happened to anyone...

-alex

As for your future reference, you're not suppose to pump the brakes, that's only making things worse.. and just to let you know, you are pushing the brakes too hard (the brakes have gone beyond the braking threshold limit) so the car is telling you that you are pressing the brake pedal too hard and you need to slowly let up just a little bit OR continue to push on the brakes firmly and steer your way to safety. The ABS is there to let you know that you are already doing something wrong (just as any other electronic system in ANY car.. they didnt put Traction Control, ABS, Active Stability, etc to get in your way, it's there to cover your ass, so yes, I do have a right to give you some heat for not knowing that much).

Take your time, your car isn't totalled, it's about $4,000 to $5,000 worth of work and your car should take about 2 weeks to fix.

It's all good, you are fine, no one is hurt. If you ever want to mod your car to prevent yourself from this, get winter tires.

Keefe

ABS systems are very simple. It doesn't even require a PID controller. If the ABS came on, that means you locked one of the wheels. No such thing as it came on too early. If all 4 wheels are still turning, that ABS won't come on. ABS only comes on when one or more wheels are locked. In most cases, just let the computer do the work and keep your foot on the brake and steer in the direction you want to go.

Bad thing about ABS is when you lose complete control of the car. Locking all 4 wheels ensure that you skid in one direction and only one direction.

Given the choice of hitting with the front of the car vs. hitting with the rear, always go for the rear. You usually sustain less damage with the car since it's only sheet metal vs. the engine. The forces exerted on your body against the seat is usually less than the body against the seatbelt and/or airbag. I would have gone for the e-brakes if I knew I was going to hit something head first.

17 yr old + 250 hp already results in very high insurance prices. After one accident, I would hate to see your insurance bill. There was a good reason my dad wouldn't let me have a car with more than 125 hp when I was in high school.

Glad you're not hurt.

As with any forum, bashing is not an option you can delete, you just live with it if you don't like it, or watch what you say and/or watch your spelling, especially the current "wired" instead of "weird" or "breaks" instead of "brakes" and so forth. At least this forum doesn't seem to have the "since you wrecked can I have your..." vultures. I also own a Mustang GT and over on that forum they are murderous on newbies and wreck posts.

Once again, glad you're not hurt, though the insurance bill will hurt enough. Oh I don't even want to think about that.

(just as any other electronic system in ANY car.. they didnt put Traction Control, ABS, Active Stability, etc to get in your way, it's there to cover your ass, so yes, I do have a right to give you some heat for not knowing that much).

WTF? You have the right?

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

17 yr old + 250 hp already results in very high insurance prices. After one accident, I would hate to see your insurance bill. There was a good reason my dad wouldn't let me have a car with more than 125 hp when I was in high school.

Heh, with Erie Insurance, the person at fault in the policy would have a 90% of being kicked out, especially at that age with a NEW car, if not, expect a 50% increase in the insurance premiums for that driver.

Keefe

WTF? You have the right?

sure, it's an opinion is it not? ;)

but the more important thing is that he's ok and he survived, and hopefully he learned his lesson not only about driving in the snow, but to understand more what he has and what he is dealing with.

What I would suggest is to take a car control clinic, as there are some places that can actually simulate ice in the middle of summer heat (via peanut oil sprayed all over the parking lot on the skid pad).. not only that it's educational, it's also safe to learn and it's fun. So that's how I (and anyone here) can learn how to drive in the snow/ice without having to wait for the snow to come around.

Hopefully, things will get sorted quickly and that the insurance doesnt rape you and the rest of your family (but I think you will be ok since your parents have the money to buy you a new $25,000+ car, I am sure they dont care too much of paying a few more $$$ on insurance and stuff).

Keefe

I believe that it was his grandfather that payed for most of the car. Regardless, I think that the job is more than 6000+ dollars. The bumper, paint, headlights, radiator, hood, fans, belts, grille, etc. are all gonna add up. Heck, Subaru wanted 64 dollars for a new hood latch.

Good luck with your situation...and do take some defensive driving classes, to save some of that money that the Ins. co. will charge you.

sure, it's an opinion is it not? ;)

but the more important thing is that he's ok and he survived, and hopefully he learned his lesson not only about driving in the snow, but to understand more what he has and what he is dealing with.

What I would suggest is to take a car control clinic, as there are some places that can actually simulate ice in the middle of summer heat (via peanut oil sprayed all over the parking lot on the skid pad).. not only that it's educational, it's also safe to learn and it's fun. So that's how I (and anyone here) can learn how to drive in the snow/ice without having to wait for the snow to come around.

Hopefully, things will get sorted quickly and that the insurance doesnt rape you and the rest of your family (but I think you will be ok since your parents have the money to buy you a new $25,000+ car, I am sure they dont care too much of paying a few more $$$ on insurance and stuff).

Ok....:icon_conf Came off a different way to my eyes.

Then state your opinion, don't say you have the right to give someone heat for not knowing as much as you. It wasn't too long ago you cracked up a WRX TWICE, totaling it the second time on a warm-up lap at the track. Mind you still learning yourself.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Not to get you down, but a very similar thing happened to a friend of mine when he was 18... he drives an srt4, it was raining, front wheel drive + little tread left = pole. The damage wasn't a TON, but it was enough for his insurance to force his parents to actually DROP him (they literally raised his insurance to like 15,000 a year or something so they had no choice).

Now, this was because he had 3 or 4 speeding tickets before and the accident just pushed him over the edge. If this is the first thing for you then you may be ok. But... if it's not, you're only 17 and your insurance is already bad just because of that, and this is something on top of some speeding tickets you may be in for some serious insurance consequences. So... how's your driving record?

Glad to hear you're ok, though, just thought I'd warn you to prepare for the worst. Accidents are absolutely frightening, even if they're just something small. Good luck and let us know.

Archived