LegacyGT.com

just crashed into a telephone pole... please dont bash me, just help!!!

Alex1

my rates will double?!?! wtf you sure? thats absurd

You're 17, you just did anywhere from 10-15K worth of damage to a new car with 250HP. I would consider yourself lucky if you get off with anything less than 160% of you pre-accident premium. This of course is assuming the same company, same limits: certeris paribus. Insurance companies determine premiums based on risk, you just entered yourself into a higher risk category. Fortunately or unfortunately there isn't much more room to move up in the risk category, you were already almost at the top being male and below 25.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sucks being a teenage driver doesnt it. I'm only 20 now and everytime I get into my car, I think about how much I'm getting knocked for insurance and how much ass it would suck for it to go up even more.

Tell me about it, see how that cycle magically works.

I keed I keeed

alex, think through this clearly and stop speaking (typing) as if you were an english chav :icon_tong

i was in an accident as well, i am 17 (18 in a month). it was like 8-9 grand in damage, suprisingly car runs better now than it did before the accident haha. a few tips:

1. chillout, its an accident shit happens we all go through this shit at one point, even if its the hard way.

2. people won't flame you here as long as you don't type like an idiot with all the wtf and whatnot, this isn't a software cracking forum.

3. the car is fixable, don't worry about getting a new spec b. i come from an affluent family, but i didn't dare ask my father for a new car.

4. it will take about 1.5 months until the car is back in ur hands, try to act nice to your rents, their insurance just dbled :icon_bigg

5. insurance wouldn't pay u as much for your car as u think. don't forget u drive that thing off the lot its auto 25%+ (i made that up, i'm sure its somewhere around there) loss in market value

my favorite:

6. in a few months u'll look back on it an laugh, hopefully having learned whatever mistake it is that you made. if its snowing i don't think i would be making turns at even 15 mph, too unpredictable.

good luck in the process, everything went supersmooth for me, i hope it goes the same for you

Tell me about it, see how that cycle magically works.
This is why I have kept my cars ass on the road and out of accidents, and why I keep adding things to the front (lights and horns) to ensure I have all the safety I can get. I've been driving for 5 years now and the only insurance claims I've had to file (2 so far knock on wood) were someone elses fault.

Just be glad you're all right, things will sort themselves out http://www.illfindsomethingtoputhere.com/funforum/images/smilies/bigok.gif

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

yeah well, i can act nice to my parents but i have always paid for my insurance, so thats still going to be on me. 1.5 months, is crazy. how many cars were infront of yours at the shop you took it to? i know that there are only 2 cars infront of mine at the shop i brought mine to.

-alex

and u just inadvertantly took the rates up for others in that age group...but hey at least u are safe and the car seems repairable... and this was not a result of reckless driving but just bad circumstances....so feel happy about being alive and start finding the best body shop around....cuz if the insurance is going to jack up ur rates...u deserve to have your car fixed from the best body shop in town and have them pay for it...instead of some crappy body shop!!!

oh and besides the premium hike, i hate to be the bearer of bad news about the nice depreciation hit ur car took....unless u can get it fixed quick and trade it in to a stealer (dont ask dont tell of course) for say an 06 or something.

If they dont ask you about any accident history....dont tell em nothing and trade it in for an 06 AT or a Spec B

i'm not too sure, i kno they were always working on mine. i am friendly with my shop guy, fortunately they had a guy who used ot work at a jag service place he was very experienced, they got my frame within 2-3 mm (i believe thats the allowance) and even gave mea checkup at the end :).

Well you should be glad no one was hurt! I assume that you both were wearing your seatbelts and that saved any injury other than some sore muscles.

+1 for the belts!

Anyway, i agree that tires should be your last concern. You are looking at most likely a good portion of a month without your car, maybe more. My guess would be around 10k+ worth of damage depending on how bad it is underneath.

Looks like a good case of an inexperienced driver, no offense, i was waiting for this post. Can't give you too much shit cause i had a similar accident when i was 16 and in the snow for the first time. However, it should be a good wake-up call. Again be glad no one was hurt, its only a car, it can be repaired. Your parents will have fun with that insurance increase, it will be a nice one...

3 things i would like to get off my chest...

1) AHHH! Suckstones!

2) Subaru ABS SUCKS in snow. Tested, I can stop half as short threshold braking.

3) I've been in a similar situation when I had my summer tires in a snow storm except with an oncoming snow bank. Luckily I knew how to drive through it.

The car really likes to rotate when you mash the throttle. Next time you find yourself in this situation add enough gas to break the rears loose. Apply opposite lock to the steering wheel then straighten out just before you have the nose of the car pointed where you want to go. The front tires will pull you through. The drifting effect will slow the car down substantially.

Please practice this first at very low speeds.

Thank You for Listening

Alex Glad you are ok...

Here in California, when an insurance company recommends a shop, they are required to warranty the work and thus if there are any you can go through the insurance company rather than dealing directly with the shop. Also make sure that they use only factory parts and no aftermarket. Aftermarket or used are fine when out of pocket but you're the one paying the higher premium so make it count. Lastly, on badly damaged but not totalled cars, insurance companies sometimes offer depreciation adjustments, meaning because the car was in an accident it is worth less even fully repaired than one not in an accident.

sorry to see that man. i am pretty sure the car is not totaled, and i doubt the repairs will run you more than $3500 for the repairs.

$3500?? Where did you get that from. I got rear ended in my Mazda 6 at 5mph and all they had to replace was two bumper covers and the exhuast pipe Y: $6000. There's probably $6,000 in parts alone on this job.

$3500?? Where did you get that from. I got rear ended in my Mazda 6 at 5mph and all they had to replace was two bumper covers and the exhuast pipe Y: $6000. There's probably $6,000 in parts alone on this job.

+1

Hood, bumper, grill, lights, radiator, perhaps the quarter panels or at least some touch up work there, all miscelaneous pieces underneath, paint...way more than 3500 right there...

I got hit head on by a drunken driver (at 12:30 on a Monday afternoon) and the damage to my car was extensive: total repair was $12,544.

The Insurance Adjuster told me they won't total it unless the repair cost is more than 75% of the value.

Years ago a friend got hit by another car and was concerned that the damage was not extensive enough to total the car. He handed the tow truck driver $80 (all he had) and said, "Do you think the Insurance Adjuster will total it?" The driver replied, "Is that what you want?" He nodded. And there was no question that it was a total when the adjuster saw it.....

Who Dares Wins

スバル

alex, think through this clearly and stop speaking (typing) as if you were an english chav :icon_tong

i was in an accident as well, i am 17 (18 in a month). it was like 8-9 grand in damage, suprisingly car runs better now than it did before the accident haha. a few tips:

1. chillout, its an accident shit happens we all go through this shit at one point, even if its the hard way.

2. people won't flame you here as long as you don't type like an idiot with all the wtf and whatnot, this isn't a software cracking forum.

3. the car is fixable, don't worry about getting a new spec b. i come from an affluent family, but i didn't dare ask my father for a new car.

4. it will take about 1.5 months until the car is back in ur hands, try to act nice to your rents, their insurance just dbled :icon_bigg

5. insurance wouldn't pay u as much for your car as u think. don't forget u drive that thing off the lot its auto 25%+ (i made that up, i'm sure its somewhere around there) loss in market value

my favorite:

6. in a few months u'll look back on it an laugh, hopefully having learned whatever mistake it is that you made. if its snowing i don't think i would be making turns at even 15 mph, too unpredictable.

good luck in the process, everything went supersmooth for me, i hope it goes the same for you

Wow... that was an awesome post. Great advice.... and you're only 18.

Very level headed.... I am honestly impressed! :)

and u just inadvertantly took the rates up for others in that age group.
You know, this isn't the time someone needs to be reminded about that. Not to mention most people are aware of that anyway.

I doubt it'll be totaled, but good luck with getting it fixed anyway. I got unlucky with some diamondplate the other day and went nose first in to a guard rail.

Even the best drivers can succumb to a rare mistake, but inexperience with a car or certain driving conditions is always an equation for potential trouble. And even then like I said, no matter how good of a driver you are or how safe you are or whatever else: sometimes shit just happens. The car will get fixed, it's easier to fix (or replace if need be) a car than it is a person.

But I know how you feel.

(dont ask dont tell of course) for say an 06 or something.

If they dont ask you about any accident history....dont tell em nothing and trade it in for an 06 AT or a Spec B

Great plan!

No reason to be an honorable person anymore!

Who cares about the poor bastard that's going to end up with it eventually?

Fuck everyone!

Years ago a friend got hit by another car and was concerned that the damage was not extensive enough to total the car. He handed the tow truck driver $80 (all he had) and said, "Do you think the Insurance Adjuster will total it?" The driver replied, "Is that what you want?" He nodded. And there was no question that it was a total when the adjuster saw it.....

Yay for insurance fraud!

Yay for insurance fraud!

No kidding.

I can understand talking with the shop if the car is on that edge, or if the damage to the frame or something might be bad enough that it won't quite be the same again, but otherwise I guess they can fix things pretty well.

People keep telling me that the repair shops can do an amazing job these days and get your car back to where it was before. I guess I'll believe it when I see it, I'm still apprehensive.

I'm a bit shocked the Legacy performed so poorly in such low speeds, but I can't say I'm surprised, the stock brakes/wheels makes this car a deathtrap, I can't wait till I get them switched on the car.

It's not the breaks that suck. The ABS did what is was suppose to. If you don't wanna feel the ABS kick in get better tires.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Archived