LegacyGT.com

Legacy Sales Numbers -- this is why the Gen 7 forum is less active

You would need to check the overall industry numbers and the decline to know what context to put these sales numbers in. They may actually better than the industry average impact from COVID, we don't know with just these numbers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Legacy will be discontinued in the near future. It already is in Australia and Europe.

Everyone seems to want a big ugly SUV these days.

Haven't seen another Turbo Legacy yet.

I'd say it's a toss-up. They're selling enough that it's viable. The Outback and Legacy are mechanically identical except for a few trim components.

I posted the numbers to show the decline in sales as the body styles age. The car was redesigned 3 years ago, but the outside looks unchanged since 2014.

park a 2005-2009 outback next to a current year outback. it's disturbing the size difference.
It's basically what used to be midsize is now almost small/ compact size. 2005 Outback might even be smaller inside than a new Impreza.

Even more pronounced in the truck world, a full-size pickup from the 90s is as big as a midsize pickup now lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sales of 4-door sedans have been declining industry-wide for more than a decade. I don't know whether Legacy sales have been hurt more or less than most. Seems most buyers want an SUV (or a "pretend" SUV) these days, and manufacturers are only too happy to oblige, since the profit margin on trucks and SUVs is generally higher than on sedans.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Since I couldn’t get my 2020 Legacy Limited XT until the end of July which was close to when the 2021 cars started to be offered I don’t think sales numbers in general for the last one to two years are very relevant. Looking at the sales reports I get from Subaru they have done quite well.

As far as sedans being made, since every major manufacturer has a variety of sedans that they promote, many in the performance category, and because they make the most sense for most people, not everyone is a soccer parent carting kids around, they will persist. Most of my married friends aren’t having children, which of course could change and isn’t necessarily indicative of anything. But many of them are buying Camaros and Chargers, Audis, and BMWs so there will be no death of the sedan. And Subaru would be stupid to shoot themselves in the foot when Honda, Toyota, Lexus and Acura continue to introduce sedan models with no decline in sight. I think I first read about the projected “disappearance of sedans” back in the 80s when dads needed to transport kids but couldn’t stand to be seen in a station wagon or minivan, and SUV sales began to accelerate. But the sedan has remained a stalwart model. Can’t think of one manufacturer that has plans to eliminate them. I doubt Subaru would be the very first company in the world to do so. I had people upset with me when I traded my previous Legacy instead of selling it to them, and it was over 14 years old. Almost made me regret that decision but I got a fair deal with minimal hassle.

Honda Accords & Toyota Camry Sales are down like the Legacy. It is not just a Subaru Legacy trend. The sedan market size might be down but there are still a lot units purchased. They just aren't selling in the same volume they use to.

Accord

2005 376,293

2006 354,441

2007 382,231

2008 368,161

2009 290,056

2010 311,381

2011 252,304

2012 353,204

2013 366,678

2014 388,435

2015 355,557

2016 345,135

2017 322,655

2018 291,071

2019 267,567

2020 199,458

2021 114,707

Camry

2005 431,703

2006 448,445

2007 472,808

2008 436,617

2009 356,824

2010 327,553

2011 306,510

2012 404,885

2013 408,484

2014 428,606

2015 429,355

2016 388,616

2017 387,081

2018 343,439

2019 336,978

2020 294,348

2021 177,671

Honda Accords & Toyota Camry Sales are down like the Legacy. It is not just a Subaru Legacy trend. The sedan market size might be down but there are still a lot units purchased. They just aren't selling in the same volume they use to.

Accord

2005 376,293

2006 354,441

2007 382,231

2008 368,161

2009 290,056

2010 311,381

2011 252,304

2012 353,204

2013 366,678

2014 388,435

2015 355,557

2016 345,135

2017 322,655

2018 291,071

2019 267,567

2020 199,458

2021 114,707

Camry

2005 431,703

2006 448,445

2007 472,808

2008 436,617

2009 356,824

2010 327,553

2011 306,510

2012 404,885

2013 408,484

2014 428,606

2015 429,355

2016 388,616

2017 387,081

2018 343,439

2019 336,978

2020 294,348

2021 177,671

If those are for the first 6 months of 2021, 2021 will be a better year than the last few years with 355K Camrys, and 229K Accords. That's not exactly a downhill trend (many assumptions being made here, obviously).

Just about every market has been rattled over the last year or so. Repercussions will probably be felt in different ways for several years. The pandemic is far from over and who knows what’s next on the horizon, devastating heat waves, wildfires, catastrophic flooding, all happening now throughout the world will change every manufacturer of all goods to radically change their projections. Taking numbers from a small period of time while the world is still reeling is pretty much meaningless.

• 2 weeks later...

I commute over an hour to work each day, there and back, 2 hours. So I see a lot of vehicles. By far, sedans out number SUVs and pick ups around 5 to 1. Sedans aren't going anywhere around my area. And I'm not talking just Subaru but across the board. IMO, if a sedan isn't selling it's because others are more attractive and the maker isn't promoting it. Subaru is bad about this, they say the cars don't sell but then what do you see in the multiple TV ads? I don't remember the last time I saw a Legacy in a TV ad. It doesn't help that the Legacy's styling has been outclassed for years by other better looking models. Subaru is letting Legacy die on the vine.

One can argue "why advertise a car that won't sell" and to that I'd say "so it WILL sell". Subaru doesn't promote the Legacy anymore, all they are interested in is big number SUV types. If there's a car they need to dump because sales suck they should look at the WRX.

Edited by hkshooter

I think it is more that GM and Ford saw they could make more money with bigger vehicles. They seem to always be in financial trouble and sedans don't have the profit margins so they got cut. Then the advertising shifted to those vehicles and then it was follow the leader.

I have a confession to make, I'm actually considering an Outback for my next car.

My 2016 3.6R is at 157k and nearly paid off. The market for used cars about guarantees I'll have positive equity in the car even if I trade it tomorrow. Between this and the special employee lease prices it's nearly a no brainer.

But the reasons I'm considering the OB are higher ride so easier to get me and my bad knees in and out of, same for my wife's and I elderly mothers, extra cargo room for those rare but annual road trips.

I'm very torn because I'm a car guy at heart and love something spirited, even if just a little, and the Legacy handles curves much better than the OB. I'll drive the car 365 days and I'm just not convinced I'll be happy in the OB. But the OB attributes are attractive.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'll do but in the mean time I'll continue to love my 3.6R. Wish I could have got good enough numbers to trade it on a 2019.

No matter if I go Legacy or OB, I'm getting the XT Limited.

I have a confession to make, I'm actually considering an Outback for my next car.

My 2016 3.6R is at 157k and nearly paid off. The market for used cars about guarantees I'll have positive equity in the car even if I trade it tomorrow. Between this and the special employee lease prices it's nearly a no brainer.

But the reasons I'm considering the OB are higher ride so easier to get me and my bad knees in and out of, same for my wife's and I elderly mothers, extra cargo room for those rare but annual road trips.

I'm very torn because I'm a car guy at heart and love something spirited, even if just a little, and the Legacy handles curves much better than the OB. I'll drive the car 365 days and I'm just not convinced I'll be happy in the OB. But the OB attributes are attractive.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'll do but in the mean time I'll continue to love my 3.6R. Wish I could have got good enough numbers to trade it on a 2019.

No matter if I go Legacy or OB, I'm getting the XT Limited.

Currently own a 2017 Outback. Nice car, the wife uses it and it does have good room inside. Think of it more as a wagon than an SUV and you'll be alright.

I don't remember the last time I saw a Legacy in a TV ad.

I think the last Subaru sedan tv commercial I saw were the Paul Hogan - Crocodile Dundee - Outback sedan ads back in the late 90s or early 2000s I think. Those led me to my first Legacy in ‘03 or ‘04 which led to my ‘06 Legacy GT Limited. Since the Legacys and Outbacks share so much it costs little to keep making them side by side, and they sell enough to be profitable. Plus it’s always been somewhat of a prestige in having something that not many other people have. But there are a lot of them out there, I even occasionally see one of the old Outback Sedans. And currently in my mid-Atlantic region I’m seeing an explosion in sedans. Toyota especially must be selling the hell out the Avalon, except for Teslas, which I’m seeing a boatload of new ones, I’m seeing a lot of new Avalons.

Before I firmly decided on my 2020 Legacy I considered a Camry and an Accord, and since I had to wait 7 months to get the Legacy I really started pricing everything out on those cars wondering if I was ever going to get the Legacy. I would have probably gone for the Accord Sport 2 liter turbo but it still wouldn’t have given me what I got in the Legacy. I had seen a few Avalons in that time and thought they really looked nice but didn’t give them much thought. Now I see them everywhere and love the way they look. If for some reason I had to make a choice again and Legacys weren’t available I would really take a strong look at them. But sedans will be around a long time. I see so many new Teslas, BMWs, Audis, in addition to the Avalons, Camrys and Accords that the sedan market seems very healthy. But who knows maybe those fools who predicted the demise of the sedan 40 years ago will be proven right one day, I won’t hold my breath. :)

I think the last Subaru sedan tv commercial I saw were the Paul Hogan - Crocodile Dundee - Outback sedan ads back in the late 90s or early 2000s I think. Those led me to my first Legacy in ‘03 or ‘04 which led to my ‘06 Legacy GT Limited. Since the Legacys and Outbacks share so much it costs little to keep making them side by side, and they sell enough to be profitable. Plus it’s always been somewhat of a prestige in having something that not many other people have. But there are a lot of them out there, I even occasionally see one of the old Outback Sedans. And currently in my mid-Atlantic region I’m seeing an explosion in sedans. Toyota especially must be selling the hell out the Avalon, except for Teslas, which I’m seeing a boatload of new ones, I’m seeing a lot of new Avalons.

Before I firmly decided on my 2020 Legacy I considered a Camry and an Accord, and since I had to wait 7 months to get the Legacy I really started pricing everything out on those cars wondering if I was ever going to get the Legacy. I would have probably gone for the Accord Sport 2 liter turbo but it still wouldn’t have given me what I got in the Legacy. I had seen a few Avalons in that time and thought they really looked nice but didn’t give them much thought. Now I see them everywhere and love the way they look. If for some reason I had to make a choice again and Legacys weren’t available I would really take a strong look at them. But sedans will be around a long time. I see so many new Teslas, BMWs, Audis, in addition to the Avalons, Camrys and Accords that the sedan market seems very healthy. But who knows maybe those fools who predicted the demise of the sedan 40 years ago will be proven right one day, I won’t hold my breath. :)

I hear you.

When I mentioned to my wife (SIA acssociate) that people are saying the Legacy isn't selling she gave me an odd look and said "Well, I don't know what they are doing with them then because we see lots of them coming down the line every day and the lot is full of them."

Local Subaru dealer says every car they have delivered is presold and will be for months, also told me if I want a Legacy I'll have to wait longer than the two months the Outback would take for it to arrive. Demand or not producing them?

I hear you.

Local Subaru dealer says every car they have delivered is presold and will be for months, also told me if I want a Legacy I'll have to wait longer than the two months the Outback would take for it to arrive. Demand or not producing them?

That’s the situation I found myself in waiting for my car. I wanted an XT, my dealer had only one when I decided to place my order and it was already sold and gone before I got there. Over the 7 months I had to wait I kept checking their website and saw non-XT Legacys listed occasionally but those were almost always gone by the time I drove by there just to look at one. I never even saw a 2020 Legacy before placing my order and only once did see one there when I went with my wife to have her Onyx Outback serviced. That one was owned by a customer. The XTs were quite limited in production during most of 2020 and Legacys overall took a back seat to the Outbacks, I assume, but they seem to sell immediately. Maybe they figure there’s no need to spend the money to advertise them. I also find it quite interesting in my community there are many 2 Subaru households a fair number of them - one Legacy, one Outback which we also are and have been for almost 20 years.