LegacyGT.com

Legacy Sales Numbers -- this is why the Gen 7 forum is less active

That’s the situation I found myself in waiting for my car. I wanted an XT, my dealer had only one when I decided to place my order and it was already sold and gone before I got there. Over the 7 months I had to wait I kept checking their website and saw non-XT Legacys listed occasionally but those were almost always gone by the time I drove by there just to look at one. I never even saw a 2020 Legacy before placing my order and only once did see one there when I went with my wife to have her Onyx Outback serviced. That one was owned by a customer. The XTs were quite limited in production during most of 2020 and Legacys overall took a back seat to the Outbacks, I assume, but they seem to sell immediately. Maybe they figure there’s no need to spend the money to advertise them. I also find it quite interesting in my community there are many 2 Subaru households a fair number of them - one Legacy, one Outback which we also are and have been for almost 20 years.

Some dealers sit on Legacy's for months before they move. Others have them pre-sold before they arrive. The screenshots attached are vehicles for sale today.

VqAD3F1.png

tUI2o44.png

Some dealers sit on Legacy's for months before they move. Others have them pre-sold before they arrive. The screenshots attached are vehicles for sale today.

VqAD3F1.png

tUI2o44.png

Called the Ohio dealer today as they are within reasonable driving distance. Talked to Chase, that car is sold.

Edited by hkshooter

Called the Ohio dealer today as they are within reasonable driving distance. Talked to Chase, that car is sold.

:lol: That’s what I found! When I was having to wait 7 months for my Legacy XT I checked all the Cars.com, Autotrader, etc. sites to check for availability of a similar model to what I had ordered. I used a radius of 500 miles around me. The few I found listed on those sites by the time I checked with the dealers they were sold. Part of the problem was, it seemed, that in the XTs they produced more Touring versions than the Limited that I wanted. Those were more money but after a while I decided what the hell I’ll cough up the extra, but those were all gone as soon as I decided that.

Interestingly I have never been able to get a Legacy on the day I wanted when I was at the dealer ready to buy. My first Legacy in ‘02 or ‘03 I wanted a 5 speed so they first had to swap with another dealer and I had to come back a couple days later. The 2nd Legacy, an ‘06 GT Limited, also a 5 speed had to come from another state and again I had to come back some days later. This 2020 XT took 7 months. I’ve often wondered whether Legacys were bought up by rental companies but I’ve never seen any available form them. Seems like they get snapped up about as soon as they’re made with a lot of them having been pre-ordered.

I think SIA builds the XTs in waves. When I was looking to buy my Legacy last August, there was hardly any XTs in the Mid-Atlantic area. I managed to find a Touring with the color that I wanted in late September.

However when November/December came around, the area was "flooded" with Legacy XTs. When I say flooded, I mean the local Subaru dealerships had at least 3 XTs available on their lot. I kept getting emails from the dealers that I contacted stating they had XTs for sale.

Louis Thomas Subaru is parkersburg WV has a limited xt on lot and another that is in transit. I bought mine there. They didn't have color I wanted and got it for me with in 24 hrs.d21adb72ab7f129bad9ca030cb039e64.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

I think SIA builds the XTs in waves. When I was looking to buy my Legacy last August, there was hardly any XTs in the Mid-Atlantic area. I managed to find a Touring with the color that I wanted in late September.

However when November/December came around, the area was "flooded" with Legacy XTs. When I say flooded, I mean the local Subaru dealerships had at least 3 XTs available on their lot. I kept getting emails from the dealers that I contacted stating they had XTs for sale.

This is standard practice in the automotive industry.

Not very many in a network of 600 dealers nationwide.

Which means few people would ever see one. When I used those services to check inventory the car listed was almost always gone when I checked with the actual dealer. This was back in the early part of 2020 when I was waiting on my order. I first started with a radius of 250 miles from Baltimore, didn’t see any then I expanded to 500 miles. I used that distance with the fantasy of flying out to a dealer and driving the car home. Only found a few, mostly Touring ones, then decided to just hassle my dealer to see if there were any further updates on my order. Fortunately I wasn’t in any bind but there were some potentially expensive repairs on the horizon with my almost 15 year old Legacy so I didn’t want to wait too long.

I know the production runs will vary but it seems if you have specific criteria in mind ordering one rather than driving by every dealer in the area every day might be a better plan. If you take time to decide whether you’ll take the color or a specific option, or lack thereof, in an available car it may very well be gone by the time you get back there. If those expensive repairs had begun to crop up I would have been booking a flight and taking whatever the dealer had if it was still there.

• 1 month later...
AF1QipNldb5YyvsJ7PmSoC4_mP7nD0zxvwtxEX8iM8RlWhen I got my Touring XT in early June the dealer in a small city in Northern California had three of them - all in red. They traded with another 100 miles away for an Abyss Blue Pearl for me. Within a month the other two were sold and they haven't had any since. Prior to me buying mine the salesman said the three had been sitting on the lot for several months. I think people are so desperate now for any new car they are quickly snatching up anything including traditionally slow selling models - like the top trims of midsize sedans. Edited by BeauCharles
add photo

Louis Thomas Subaru is parkersburg WV has a limited xt on lot and another that is in transit. I bought mine there. They didn't have color I wanted and got it for me with in 24 hrs.d21adb72ab7f129bad9ca030cb039e64.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

I didnt even know this was a Subaru. It looks like 100 generic sedans.

I didnt even know this was a Subaru. It looks like 100 generic sedans.

Show some respect. The guy just spent $35k+ on a new car. You quote the picture of his car and insulted his car. If you don’t have any nice to say about his then don’t say it. Insulting new owners is not exactly welcoming to this forum which already has very little activity as it is.

Show some respect. The guy just spent $35k+ on a new car. You quote the picture of his car and insulted his car. If you don’t have any nice to say about his then don’t say it. Insulting new owners is not exactly welcoming to this forum which already has very little activity as it is.

You arnt going to argue my comment just that it wasn't a nice comment?

checkmate :lol:

Actually it specifically looks like a Legacy, mine is black but that white really did appeal to me. Almost all other sedans have gone to more angular body styles which limits their headroom, some times significantly as in the Accords. The more rounded and curved lines of the Legacy are quite recognizable. There will always be those who have an agenda with their comments even if it’s not based in reality, they’re easy to ignore.

• 4 months later...
Being invisible in my dark blue legacy has its benefits in 55mph Iowa. Also, the ride of the Legacy is so much better than an Accord or Camry. Buyers of Legacys are not looking for compliments and appreciate a damn good car. For posers please refer to the cocks driving BMWs and Audis. IMHO.

Buyers of Legacys are not looking for compliments and appreciate a damn good car. For posers please refer to the cocks driving BMWs and Audis. IMHO.

Drove an Accord and Camry while car shopping. The Legacy is absolutely a better car. Also drove a 340i and an A4. The Legacy is not a better car than the A4 (or the 21' Acura TLX), but the Legacy offers far more bang for buck, especially in the Touring trim. The 340i is a very different car, and one I wouldn't readily compare to the Legacy. Never drove an A6 or a 5 series. But it's not worth buying an Audi or Bimmer lease victim/basketcase to have that experience at the cost of a new Legacy. I really struggled with the Legacy versus a used Lexus GS350. In the end, the Legacy's full warranty, modern head unit, and far more ample rear seat room won me over.

I do not love the Legacy's gigantic rear end, mismatched wheel wells, or truckish front end, but I do love that it's a total NPC car. It's a turbocharged sleeper that TruckBros never see coming. It cleans up well, and passengers are always impressed by the interior and the smoothness of the suspension and CVT. The Touring trim is a true luxury car, and the Limited is still one of the best "Japanese" sedan interiors outside of the luxury segment.

also need the average american weight increase graph :lol:

im guilty. The 19 in covid is the 19lbs gained since all drive thrus are in their golden era as the little mom and pop shops shut down

Amazingly I haven't gained a pound in the past two years. Back to the Legacy, mine has a little over 5K on it and the interior sure has a lot of buzzes. Not really rattles, just buzzes and the occasional pop from the panels flexing. Kind of bums me out given I got the Touring XT. I have an appointment in a few weeks to get them looked at. My cheap ten year old Lancer I sold when I got it last spring had fewer rattles and buzzes.

My Legacy XT has just over 7000 miles (purchased July 2020) and my wife’s Outback XT has almost 22,000 miles (purchased December 2019). Both seem as solid as a rock with no noticeable rattles or squeaks. Our previous vehicles - 2006 Legacy GT, 2005 Outback XT - both had significant dash rattles. I came to think of those rattles as a Subaru feature. But no such “feature” on these new cars thankfully.

I ordered a 2022 Legacy Touring XT, I was told 8-10 weeks and its slated for late March. My dealer does quite well selling both Subaru and Toyota and every dealership I go by has very little inventory and what is there on popular (Bronco) vehicles is being jacked up. My dealer sold mine at sticker rather than invoice which is the normal purchase price I would pay. But I get that its supply demand and its not over stick. Trading in my wife's '16 Legacy Limited 3.6R. She wanted my 2019 Outback Touring 3.6R and loves it. Didn't see a need for 2 Outbacks in the house.

I ordered a 2022 Legacy Touring XT, I was told 8-10 weeks and its slated for late March. My dealer does quite well selling both Subaru and Toyota and every dealership I go by has very little inventory and what is there on popular (Bronco) vehicles is being jacked up. My dealer sold mine at sticker rather than invoice which is the normal purchase price I would pay. But I get that its supply demand and its not over stick. Trading in my wife's '16 Legacy Limited 3.6R. She wanted my 2019 Outback Touring 3.6R and loves it. Didn't see a need for 2 Outbacks in the house.

<------- My 2016 3.6R is over there. Sold it to the dealer for stupid money when I picked up my 2022 OBXT.

Have your driven the XT? I was much happier with how my 3.6R ran than the XT. You've probably already read somewhere but the HTCVT and the 2.4T aren't nearly as smooth as the 3.6R combination. The new HTCVT is an 8 speed where the old HTCVT was a 6 speed. There's a lot of herky, jerky, can't seem to decide what ratio it needs to be in. And unless you are into the pedal the ratio ramps up way too soon and kills accel. I found it so annoying I ordered a Pedal Commander and run it way up in sport to try to get rid of the dead spot.

I love my OBXT but really miss the smooth and linear performance of the 3.6R. If I didn't drive so much I'd have kept my Legacy just over that reason alone. But I got great money for it at 164K.