LegacyGT.com

Timing belt and clutch pricing

^Honestly, cant say if the STI thermostat did anything, was not able to compare before and after.

Just thought I'd throw it in there, even having read about the pros and cons for it.

EDIT: they were pretty much identical in construction, one could pass for the other besides the temp stamp, so no advantage in flow IMO.

Edited by Scubaboo
Additional info
  • Like 1

Now just waiting on the thermostat and o-rings. Everything else is ready to go. 

On a side note, we had a whole new HVAC system installed yesterday to replace our 20yr old system. Ended up installing a mini split in the garage as well. 😃

• Like 3

Does the engine really need to come out to do the clutch?  The service manual shows doing it by using a cross-support engine stand, then taking the transmission out the bottom - is that more difficult?  (is it hard to get the car high enough on jack stands to get the transmission out?  I've never had to do the clutch on the Legacy or my old WRX or previous cars I've owned (for past vehicles, something I have gotten rid of the vehicle before the clutch has worn out)

11 hours ago, Falcor said:

I was hoping to, but it would take me a couple weeks easy since I don’t have a lot of time to do it. And I would have to buy an engine stand and hoist for a one time job. 

But you need to recoup the cost of your AC though! 😁

But yeah, if thats how its gonna go it sounds better to get someone to do it.

My brother got the timing belt done on his (my former) Forester SG9 engine in situ though.  Not sure if that is the case with our engines, havent really looked into the process yet.  

7 hours ago, DrD123 said:

Does the engine really need to come out to do the clutch?  The service manual shows doing it by using a cross-support engine stand, then taking the transmission out the bottom - is that more difficult?  (is it hard to get the car high enough on jack stands to get the transmission out?  I've never had to do the clutch on the Legacy or my old WRX or previous cars I've owned (for past vehicles, something I have gotten rid of the vehicle before the clutch has worn out)

You can either pull the engine or the trans. Since it needs the timing belt service as well, it was decided to pull the engine.

41 minutes ago, Scubaboo said:

But you need to recoup the cost of your AC though! 😁 

That’s why I was wanting to do it myself, along with wanting to have the experience. Time is the biggest factor though. I just don’t have the time right now to dedicate to getting it done.

42 minutes ago, Falcor said:

That’s why I was wanting to do it myself, along with wanting to have the experience. Time is the biggest factor though. I just don’t have the time right now to dedicate to getting it done.

Yeah I understand.  I get more done than I do myself nowadays.

yup, as much as i love working on my own cars i just don't have the time (or patience) and space to do the big jobs myself anymore.  oil changes, brakes, suspension stuff, sure, but more involved jobs that'll take multiple days...i'll bite the bullet and pay for someone to take care of it.  working on a city street isn't really conducive to a big rebuild either...don't need the riffraff stealing my engine while it's out on a stand lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did the timing belt myself, just needed to pull the radiator fan assembly and coolant hoses, there is tons of room in there. I did it in one (long) night, but from the comfort of my garage.

My friend/mechanic did the clutch, he pulled the transmission, definitely not something I would attempt on my own even with a garage and time on my hands.

Called the shop and it should be finished up today. I will be able to pick it up in the morning. He said it took about 3-4 hours to separate the engine and trans since the guide pins were stuck in the trans. He also removed the cat to get the water pump changed. 

Since he removed the trans and not the engine, he did not install the sway bar. I'll have to figure that one out. 

That's too bad about the guide pins, I guess I got lucky, my friend/mechanic was able to replace the clutch in about 4 hours. I am unclear as to why the cat would need to be removed to do the water pump, though. While I am no expert, I have spent many many many hours in that area of the engine bay. That being said, I was told by many people not to bother with the water pump since they are not known to fail (with Subarus).

Hopefully I was not misled, it did take a long time to do.

He has done older Subarus with the rear mounted turbo, but not one with a front mount. 

The water pump was just for insurance since it was all apart. It gave me the warm fuzzys.

There's a bolt on the bottom of the water pump that I don't know has clearance to come out without pulling the cat.  There's also a rear facing coolant line that needs to come off - maybe it can be done without removing stuff, but it's probably a pain - here are some images (not mine - when I did my timing belt I went with the same thought - also, I was replacing on age not mileage (only 74k miles on the car at the time)

IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2590 2.jpg

• Like 1

Then its good I didn't try to replace it when I did my timing belt, my stock cat is rust-welded to the turbo exhaust outlet, the whole assembly is currently sitting at the bottom of my storage rack in the garage (replaced with newer turbo and Invidia high-flow cat a year later).

Picked up the car this morning. He showed me all the old parts. The flywheel had hot spots and the clutch was almost down to the rivets. 

Weird thing is the new clutch has a way lighter pedal. I didn't expect that.

• Like 1