LegacyGT.com

Timing belt and clutch pricing

While you have the starter out, pull it apart and regrease it. My OB made noise when I bought it with 113k miles, my '12 GT started making noise at that mileage and my '11 GT made noise at 126k. It is an easy fix. I don't know if my 2010GT makes noise but I will proactively regrease it before I install as well.

While you have the starter out, pull it apart and regrease it. My OB made noise when I bought it with 113k miles, my '12 GT started making noise at that mileage and my '11 GT made noise at 126k. It is an easy fix. I don't know if my 2010GT makes noise but I will proactively regrease it before I install as well.

I greased both the 2010 Outback and the GT. The Outback had an extended warranty so had it replaced. Pulled the GT starter twice to grease I believe.

Those things need a grease fitting. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headgaskets seem to be hit or miss as are exhaust valve issues. I am at 99k miles with stage 2 tune the last 39k/4 years I am planning out my timing belt for this fall and plan to do the clutch/cylinder heads/ARP studs/headgaskets all at the same time. At this point I may hold out for a built short block, :redface::lol:

Headgaskets seem to be hit or miss as are exhaust valve issues. I am at 99k miles with stage 2 tune the last 39k/4 years I am planning out my timing belt for this fall and plan to do the clutch/cylinder heads/ARP studs/headgaskets all at the same time. At this point I may hold out for a built short block, :redface::lol:

Just going to say that's taking "well, while I'm in there I might as well replace..." to a whole new level!:lol:

Just going to say that's taking "well, while I'm in there I might as well replace..." to a whole new level!:lol:

It was really to mitigate time constraints, head rebuild/resurface would have taken a week or better in my area so it seemed prudent to just have a set ready to go back on. The short block would definitely be an overshoot at this point, or not....lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That’s around $1,323 usd at the moment. So I was about right in figuring it would be around $2,500 to have an independent shop do all the work.

Of course, that does not include the larger FSB, and heavy duty shift fork and pivot ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

No change yet on when the work will be done, but I called a local import shop (only one in this small town) and he kinda confirmed what I thought about the $2,500 price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Boy does time fly. I'm finally ordering all the parts tonight and having the local import (euro) shop do the work. The guy is not afraid to try something new. Right now he has an old 80's 911 he is doing an engine swap on and a 20 or so year old Jag coupe that he is swapping a LS 350 into. He has done a few Subaru's before so feel pretty good about him working on mine.

3 hours ago, Scubaboo said:

Who/where did you end up getting parts from?

Rockauto - Exedy OEM clutch and flywheel

Import Image Racing - PDM TSK3 Snout kit, Verus billet clutch fork pivot, Verus Forged clutch fork

Six Star Bernie - OEM timing belt kit

Heuberger - OEM water pump, all new flywheel and pressure plate bolts, all new clutch fork springs, clutch fork boot, rear main seal (just in case), and MY13/14 26mm front sway bar w/bushings

I know the HD clutch fork was a bit overkill on a stock clutch, but I never want to hear that squeaky barn door sound again :)

9 hours ago, Falcor said:

Rockauto - Exedy OEM clutch and flywheel

Import Image Racing - PDM TSK3 Snout kit, Verus billet clutch fork pivot, Verus Forged clutch fork

Six Star Bernie - OEM timing belt kit

Heuberger - OEM water pump, all new flywheel and pressure plate bolts, all new clutch fork springs, clutch fork boot, rear main seal (just in case), and MY13/14 26mm front sway bar w/bushings

I know the HD clutch fork was a bit overkill on a stock clutch, but I never want to hear that squeaky barn door sound again :)

I couldnt relate...we only ever had auto GT's here lol!

I'm in the same boat as you, got a bunch of parts from Six Star Bernie, and a whole lot from the local dealer too.  Now to find time to get it installed!

1 hour ago, Scubaboo said:

I couldnt relate...we only ever had auto GT's here lol!

I'm in the same boat as you, got a bunch of parts from Six Star Bernie, and a whole lot from the local dealer too.  Now to find time to get it installed!

But you guys got the wagon, so that kinda makes us even. :)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Falcor said:

Is the snout damaged on the case, or is the repair kit a just in case sort of thing?  I went with the 6 star bernie kit when I did my timing belt a little while back - opted not to do the water pump at the time (only 75k miles and I didn't feel like pulling the exhaust manifold) - few things I would add to the parts - the o-rings for the drivers side cams (the covers have to come off to access the bolts) and a thermostat.  If the folks doing the work haven't done this before, I'd recommend a cam lock tool for the drivers side cams (makes getting the belt on/aligned a whole lot easier)

Opting to do the swaybar is a great idea!  I did that when the engine was out for a spun bearing (25k miles ago) - it makes a nice improvement in body roll.

Didn't think about the thermostat or o-rings. Looks like another order is going to be made. As far as the snout kit, it is really only if there is any damage to the snout. If it all looks good, I will probably send it back.

The guy has done Subaru's before and he did have some Company23 tools hanging on the wall.

Those look correct on the diagram (looking at parts.subaru.com which I am sure looks identical to what is on the Heuberger site (I buy from them all the time - they are right up in the colorado springs area)

I remember it was a bear to find someone with the thermostat in stock when I was getting mine

Edited by DrD123

6 hours ago, Falcor said:

Can anyone confirm these PN's?:

Thermostat - 21210AA160

O-Rings - (top) 806939040 - (bottom) 806969020

https://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/a/Subaru_2011_Legacy-25L-TURBO-6MT-4WD-GT-Limited-Sedan/49287751__6022766/CAMSHAFT--TIMING-BELT-CAMSHAFT-10MY-12MY/B14-013-03.html

Cant help you with the OE 'stat part number, but if you happen to be so inclined I know the lower temp STI thermostat fits, I put that in mine.

You will also want a thermostat gasket with your new 'stat whether you go OE or STI.

1 hour ago, Scubaboo said:

Cant help you with the OE 'stat part number, but if you happen to be so inclined I know the lower temp STI thermostat fits, I put that in mine.

You will also want a thermostat gasket with your new 'stat whether you go OE or STI.

Did you see a benefit of using the STI thermostat?

21210AA160 is with the gasket and 21200AA230 is without the gasket (I have always wondered why Subaru does that) - the gasket itself (if you were to buy it separately) is 21236AA010

Does the STi thermostat flow better or something?  At least for USDM MY12, both the STi and Legacy GT thermostats are fully open at 91C (F) but the STi one does start opening at a lower temperature (76-80C vs. 82-86C) but they have the same lift and bore.

The one for the 2.5i is different, though - it is fully open at 95C and starts to open at 86-90C

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1