LegacyGT.com

dgoodhue's 2010 GGM GT project

I purchased this car about 3 months and haven't touch until weekend when I rolled it out of my garage. The car had been sitting for a year from the time the mechanic misdiagnosed a timing belt failure so it is pretty dirty. It has 171k miles and burnt #4 valve. In addition to the head repair, it needs a driver's mirror, new carpet, and passenger front tire (bubble)

The prior owner started to disassemble the motor (fortunately it looks like he was very organized) and took apart the front of the car.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/gullible-customer-possibly-still-salvageable-car-car-wont-start-285285.html?t=285285

IMG_3411.thumb.jpg.55e307622e1f67e8226ecbb3cceb5e3f.jpg

IMG_3410.thumb.jpg.6a3093b985ac2525f58aff1e7af2cbfa.jpg

Edited by dgoodhue

I washed the car, removed the dealer sticker, and did some paint correction. I also remove the tow hook which took some effort with a big breaker bar. The tow hook had salt in the threads, so it was not just put on the car tow once to move it. I was little surprise to see the rims have bronze to them, the prior told be they were painted with plastidip.

The paint had a bunch of pin stripping, and scratches probably from snow removal. I was pleasantly surprised to see most of the scratches came out the paint (Sometimes you never know). I took some before picture, but the paint was dusty from the compound. I will post some before and after pictures later when the car is clean from the bust. My next steps are going to be refinish the headlights and put the front bumper assembly back together.

IMG_3418.thumb.jpg.f72eff40613c27d5d5c453631637d72c.jpg

IMG_3419.thumb.jpg.f6fdd90dab45b146e60c40af9f788e9c.jpg

excited to watch the progress

and i can't remember if i salvaged the drivers side non-folding mirror for parts or if i still have the full thing, i'll check when i get home

edit: nope, don't have it anymore

Edited by creep_nu

I put the headlights back in and bolted the radiator support back in. The prior own had an aftermarket radio that he removed. I started trying to put the stock HK radio in, but I am confused on where the pink wire originally went and if I am missing a connector. The stock HK radio (no NAV) has 4 connector inputs plus the antenna, I can only find 3 connector plus the antenna. The pink wire has a butt connector and cut wire which I assume is from an aftermarket radio, but where did that wire go orignally? The pink wires goes into the factory harness. Was it boost for the antenna? I tried looking at the schematics in the service manual, but I didn't have much luck figuring it out yet.

IMG_3423.thumb.jpg.764fd2dc0ad65a73eab5d04d6d5ffc16.jpg

IMG_3422.thumb.jpg.7905815418d364e26e36bb5ef02d9d96.jpg

The prior own had an aftermarket radio that he removed. I started trying to put the stock HK radio in, but I am confused on where the pink wire originally went and if I am missing a connector. The stock HK radio (no NAV) has 4 connector inputs plus the antenna, I can only find 3 connector plus the antenna. The pink wire has a butt connector and cut wire which I assume is from an aftermarket radio, but where did that wire go orignally? The pink wires goes into the factory harness. I tried looking at the schematics in the service manual, but I didn't have much luck figuring it out yet.

I looked at the service manual wiring diagrams with fresh eyes, id I reading it corrrectly, it does seem like it only has 3 connectors plus the antenna being used. It seems like the pink wires pin goes to connector i131 B23, but the connector does has not pin in that spot. I wonder if the pin was pulled out.

I agree with your conclusion - the pink wire is the speed signal, so it would definitely need to be connected to the head unit somehow. Looks like i131-23 is the right spot.

Easiest method I know of to put a pin back on there is to cut a connector off a subaru at a scrap yard, pull one out and just butt splice that onto the end of your wire.

Maybe test the radio without the pink wire plugged and see if there are any missing functions on the radio?

Probably effects the “speed volume”. I beloved in those HK it was a non adjustable function. The function,on its own, probably isn’t important to you, but I wouldn’t put it past Any manufacturer if it is necessary to use the head unit at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to take a trip the junkyard find the missing electrical pin and few other parts.

I measure the valves clearances today and they were all out spec. I wish I had measured the prior 2011 GT I repaired for more data (I only checked them after the machine shop did the work.)

I had made an assumption that #4 was burnt on this engine, but it was #1. One of the valve #4 is 0, so I will have to check that valve check to make sure it isn't damaged.

Here is what I measured.

Intake Spec is 0.020 + 0.005

1a 0.004

1b 0.004

2a 0.004

2b 0.005

3a 0.004

3b 0.004

4a 0.004

4b 0.004

Exhaust Spec is 0.035 + 0.005

1a 0.008

1b Burnt

2a 0.004

2b 0.004

3a 0.009

3b 0.004

4a 0

4b 0.004

Edited by dgoodhue

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my heads to machine shop about a week ago, I should have them back next week. I got my big order of repair parts from Subaru today.

I still have a few parts that I am looking for. Before I go to the junkyards/order more parts, I figured I would ask. It needs carpet, 2010 driverside mirror assembly, i131 connector going to the radio, 2 GT ignition coils, plastic under tray. I also have a bubble in one of the stock tires with 6/32nd tread wear. Does any set of of GT rim/tires? or 13-14 Sport? I maybe interested if someone has a stock size tire 225/45-18 with 6/32nd (ie someone damaged a tire and had replace all their tires) .

I bought my heads to machine shop about a week ago, I should have them back next week. I got my big order of repair parts from Subaru today.

I still have a few parts that I am looking for. Before I go to the junkyards/order more parts, I figured I would ask. It needs carpet, 2010 driverside mirror assembly, i131 connector going to the radio, 2 GT ignition coils, plastic under tray. I also have a bubble in one of the stock tires with 6/32nd tread wear. Does any set of of GT rim/tires? or 13-14 Sport? I maybe interested if someone has a stock size tire 225/45-18 with 6/32nd (ie someone damaged a tire and had replace all their tires) .

I’ve got a set of stock GT wheels with Michelin’s on them in the garage at the cabin. If you had any reason to be down around DC or the eastern panhandle of WV at any point, they’d be waiting for you.

I went through my engine gasket kit. I couldn't quite figure out all the parts. It is little frustrating because Subaru superseded the engine gasket part number but didn't update the list of parts. I was suppose to be getting the oil control valve gaskets but it didn't come with those. It came with 12 banjo bolt gaskets which it didn't list. I have seven another gasket which I am not quite sure was it is. It might be fuel rail related. I will have to try to match them up by sight when I am putting everything together.

I dropped off the valve seals and locks at the machine shop. I should have the heads back next week.

I thought that I came up with a great idea today for the missing radio pin. My mirror assembly is broken and the power mirror connector's pins looked like my radio connectors pins. I pulled the connector apart and grabbed the pins out of it. I went plug the pin into the radio and it is slightly too big. In looking closer at the radio connector, I can clearly see that someone pried open the retaining flap on the connector at one point. So I am on the right track about the missing wire.

I’ve got a set of stock GT wheels with Michelin’s on them in the garage at the cabin. If you had any reason to be down around DC or the eastern panhandle of WV at any point, they’d be waiting for you.

Thanks, that is a bit of drive for me. I had a line on set of 2011 GT wheels, but when I asked the owner for pictures (he just had a 20 foot view of them on his Legacy GT he sold), he said they were storage and he take some pictures. I follow up a week later and no response. 2 weeks later after I got back from vacation they were sold.

• 3 weeks later...
I did some work to the interior last week. I had gotten a radio connector from a 2011 Legacy 2.5i for the radio. I soldered and shrink tube wrapped the connection. I tried it without the pink connector and the radio did not having any output. Once I connected the pin it work immediately.

IMG_3454.thumb.jpg.52e639b31101d5bca1388352c29c8cb2.jpg

2 weekends ago I had also gotten a carpet out of 2010 Legacy GT being parted out. I vacuumed and washed with carpet cleaner the old carpet. It most had dirt and some animal, hair and few drink spills. It came out looking nearly new with the only dirt spots on the drivers side where the floor mats doesn't cover. Overall it look very good. I threw in some 2011-2012 Legacy GT floor mats. The prior owner had paint in the passenger side seat. He slams the brakes on and spilled white paint every where on the passenger front (glove box, carpet, kick panels, door panel, a little on the seats. It wasn't too bad to pick the paint off plastic or seats. It was impossible get out the carpet or where it spill on the metal. The prior owner threw away the carpet and had apparently drove the car that way for quite a while with just floor mats. I washed the whole floor pan to get all the salt on off everything. I didn't want to seal in all the crap between the carpet and floor. Between the paint and cleaning it up, it probably took me a good 6 hours. I found that I am missing the rear inboard seat bolt covers, I will grab those when I take a trip to get the mirror assembly.

IMG_3455.thumb.jpg.b7415d80480986d5cc348e2f74ead42a.jpg

IMG_3457.thumb.jpg.245e5eddbd4decc538c974e6e15ebcdc.jpg

IMG_3458.thumb.jpg.3b1a361f2bd445e89164f768ed64f6f2.jpg

IMG_3474.thumb.jpg.c82d4cf7c5c7cc9a82020519eb08e598.jpg

IMG_3476.thumb.jpg.0e7c9ad5ce05225205424f22096a415f.jpg

IMG_3475.thumb.jpg.8d1876d1e4a4523c8cf2f8fab99c0990.jpg

IMG_3477.thumb.jpg.21bdda7a27aac568324104f82234dc45.jpg

The in cabin filter was pretty dirty and I replaced it with the one I was going to use for my Legacy. I went through the paperwork in the glove box while doing that and found the window sticker. I am still waiting for the machine to finish my heads. My 2009 Outback needs new tires and a suspension rebuild for September inspection, so that will take priority for a little bit.

IMG_3456.thumb.jpg.402fff9130f81974810d766f72afa2ef.jpg

IMG_3473.thumb.jpg.1d71c56d61b512edc682fae4e67b2fd0.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
I got my heads back from the machine shop about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, I put the short block on my engine stand and I went to clean up the carbon deposits. I unfortunately found that if I pushed on the #4 piston, it had about 1/16" of play in it. The engine must have been knocking noticeably, which the prior owner failed to mention. I posted a video on the Legacy GT Facebook page of it. I wish I had found this 1st before I spend $2500 on parts for this car. I was frustrated, so I left it as it is. The cylinder looks fine, I going to drop the oil pan when I regroup, to see if I can fix it myself or it needs a short block.

IMG_3487.thumb.jpg.813975d4d59732744d008444e34741e0.jpg

jeeeez that's some bad luck. crank all chewed up?

I am guessing the crank is chewed up, the bearing is really loose. This has been going on for a while. Also at least one oil change was done, it some how only has minimal gold bearing material in the oil.

So much for the story of ‘It was running fine and all of sudden the engine quit on the highway’.

Edited by dgoodhue