• hard liquer/mixed
    • Wine
    • I cant drink cuz im in AA

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just picked up a bottle of this today:

http://www.800spirits.com/store/images/large/7872a.jpg Milagro Select Barrel Reserve Anejo tequila

I'm just starting to learn to appreciate sipping tequila, and this is an interesting example. Definitely a more intense flavor than the Don Julio Anejo I had the other night, and probably less suited to a tequila n00b like me, but I wanted to pick up some good stuff, and this was highly recommended in a magazine I get. I prefer it to any whiskey for sipping, but then, I'm not much of a whiskey guy.

At around $75, it might well be the most expensive bottle of booze I've ever bought. I figure after today, I'll only break it out for special occasions, and I expect it to last a long time. BTW, it comes in a really cool bottle; there's a 3-D agave plant blown into the glass, and the neck is designed so that it burbles as you pour. Definitely good for putting on a show when sharing with guests!

This is what I'll be drinking tonight:

http://www.800spirits.com/store/images/large/7901.jpg

Patron Anejo

Very nice stuff. Good flavor, very smooth and produces a very pleasant buzz...better than any other alcohol I've tried anyway. The first time I bought a bottle, at $65, I also thought I would only drink it on rare occasion and it did last 8-10 months. Since then, I've learned to "appreciate" it a bit more, and they go a bit faster :) Probably lasts 2-3 months now.

I was going to try that Milagro you suggested rfd425, but now you've got me a bit concerned that it tastes too strong? What's it taste like? Patron has a very enjoyable taste to me, so maybe I'll stick with what I know for now :)

I'm also a big fan of Margaritas (Sauza), drink the occasional Captain and Coke and when in the mood, get a top shelf Long Island at Applebees. If you guys are ever in the mood for a Long Island, I highly recommend you get it at Applebees, and I highly recommend spending the extra buck (yes, it's only $1 more) for the top shelf booze, it is truely excellent.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Just opened a 2001 Bartholomew Park Pinot Noir Sonoma Valley Estate Vineyard. Truely AWESOME Pinot! Only made something like 760 cases and this is my second to last bottle :icon_cry: . The bad thing about collecting wine is that you eventually have to drink it. When you find a truely exceptional wine it's a happy :) and sad :icon_sad: occassion when you drink your last bottle - you enjoy it, but are sad you probably won't ever enjoy it again (unless you find more).

I was going to try that Milagro you suggested rfd425, but now you've got me a bit concerned that it tastes too strong? What's it taste like? Patron has a very enjoyable taste to me, so maybe I'll stick with what I know for now :)
Well, again, I'm a tequila n00b, but I'm sipping it right now, and on day #2, I'd say it is quite pleasant. It really is fairly smooth, although when I took the first drink yesterday, I thought it had more of a bite than the Don Julio. I suppose one has to get used to sipping straight tequila before he can really assess flavor.

Considering the price of this stuff, I can understand your hesitation in buying a bottle. For example, I like Bombay gin ("original" moreso than the "Sapphire"), but I sometimes will experiment with some fancy gin that costs twice as much; I almost always regret it, because it generally doesn't live up to Bombay. The exception was Desert Juniper, a micro-distilled gin from Oregon. While not necessarily superior to Bombay, it was very good and totally different.

Maybe the best approach would be to try the Milagro Select Reserve in a bar or restaurant, if possible, before buying a bottle yourself, to see if you like it. Some Mexican restaurants seem to stock a diverse selection of tequilas. I'm going for an oil change Tuesday night, and I always go get dinner at the Don Pablo's near the Suby dealer while I wait. I think I'll try the Patron Anejo, so that I can make a comparison.

And tonight, a little change of pace:

http://www.whisky.fr/contenu/img/1608.jpg

Gahhh! Bad memories.

Canadian whiskey is usually a bit smoother that a typical Scotch, or Irish whiskey(such as Bushmills). For a smooth Irish, try Powers.

Canadian whiskey is usually a bit smoother that a typical Scotch, or Irish whiskey(such as Bushmills). For a smooth Irish, try Powers.

Interesting; I went to an Irish whiskey tasting dinner last March, and I found Irish whiskey (like Bushmill's or Jameson) to be smoother than either Scotch or bourbon. I guess I figured Canadian would be more like bourbon.

I guess now is as good a time as any to post, some of you beer drinkers should check out: http://www.beeradvocate.com

Some of my favorites include Maudite, a strong belgian ale, from Unibroue in Quebec, and anything Summit out of St. Paul, Minnesota. If you're ever in Wisconsin, pick up a six pack from New Glarus Brewing Company - you can't go wrong.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BREWERY

I guess now is as good as time as any to post, some of you beer drinkers should check out http://www.beeradvocate.com

Some of my favorites include Maudite, a strong belgian ale, from Unibroue in Quebec, and anything Summit out of St. Paul, Minnesota. If you're ever in Wisconsin, pick up a six pack from New Glarus Brewing Company - you can't go wrong.

n00b picks the alcoholic thread for his first post! :lol:

Summit is the pride of the Twin Cities. The great thing is that we can get it on draft just about anywhere! New Glarus: are they the ones that make the Spotted Cow Ale? I know I've had their products before, but I can't remember what all of their offerings are.

New Glarus: are they the ones that make the Spotted Cow Ale? I know I've had their products before, but I can't remember what all of their offerings are.

Yep, Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel, Rasberry Tart, Native Ale, Edel Pils among others. They do have some unique labels and names for their selections, but its whats inside that counts.

Well, here's a little bump to the tequila sub-thread. I was back at Don Pablo's restaurant tonight (while getting the 15,000-mile service for my LGT), and I tried Patron Anejo side-by-side with Don Julio Anejo. My first thought with the Patron was "wow, this goes down really easy." The Don Julio had more bite, and seemed to me to have taken on more of the flavor from the barrel it was aged in (perhaps it was aged longer). I would say the Patron was relatively sweet, and the Don Julio was more spicy. Now at home, I'm sipping the Milagro Select Reserve pictured above, and I would say it is like a more extreme version of the Don Julio: even spicier, with a stronger flavor and more bite. It is nice to drink, though. I just take smaller sips and nurse it over a longer period of time than I probably would with the Patron.

I can definitely see the appeal of the Patron as a nice everyday sipping drink, whereas the Milagro might be something I would break out for special occasions.

Archived