• ale/lager/heffenweisen
    • Fruity drink
    • hard liquer/mixed
    • Wine
    • I cant drink cuz im in AA

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I consider myself a beer enthusiast; I like ales and lagers of almost all types, but one thing I'm not a fan of is wheat beers.

I consider myself one too. Like you, I like most ales and lagers, but I love wheat beers (which are ales). There are a lot of bad wheat beers out there, but there are also a lot of delicious ones.

I love Belgium wheats or wits

I love German weisse

My favorites are probably the dunkel wheats

I do love some Hefeweizens, but I find the yeast flavor overpowering sometimes.

On the other hand - I cannot stand dark stouts - tastes like burnt toast or charcoal to me.

Different people have different tastes; nothing wrong with that. I just don't like the tanginess that wheat beers tend to have. I'm a fan of Porters and stouts, although they're not what I mainly drink these days. I sort of go through cycles that last several years. When I first started drinking microbrews in the early '90's, I was partial to ambers. Eventually, that gave way to stouts and particularly porters. Then, I developed a taste for hoppy pale ales, with Goose Island IPA being my favorite. After switching to primarily gin & tonics for a couple years, now I'm back to mainly beer, and it tends to be ambers and brown ales, with Rogue Dead Guy being my favorite. I was surprised to learn that the Dead Guy is classified as an amber.

On a hot summer day, though, I often enjoy fine lagers like Pilsner Urquell or Harp.

hoppy pale ales gin & tonics

FTW x's 2!!!

i'm a whore for a hoppy pale ale and a slut for a good g&t! :munch:

i like lagers, just have to kinda be in the mood to drink them. i haven't really dabbled in ambers, stouts, or porters and i just can't stand any wheat beer. i'm taking some Yuengling home for my stepdad, but i still haven't decided what im gonna take home for myself. i took Flying Dog home last time and let mom taste it and i thought she was gonna die from "bitter beer face" :lol:

i'm gonna have to try the Rogue Dead Guy and Goose Island. If i can find some DogFish Head 90min i might take that home (since i won't be doing much of anything at home!).

Kenda:dm:

I am partial to the hi-end vodkaz (kettle 1) and single malt scotch (the glenlivet). But if you like the good vodkaz, I highly recommend Youri Dulguruki (sp?), it distilled at the original cristall distillery in Russia, here on the east coast, it's distibuted by apollo dist. it's cost is rather steep for vodka, but I swear it's worth every bloody penny ~$26/750 ml.

...oh yeah, scotch w/ a splash of h2o and kettle/youri rocks & olives!!

I have only enjoyed water in Peaty malts (Islay Malts..MMMmm). I usually don't want anything in it, ice and water seem to water down the scotch.. NEAT, and like I said MAYBE a little bit of water with the Islay Single Malts.

What does water do for other scotches? I am still a scotch drinker in learning.

I am partial to the hi-end vodkaz (kettle 1) and single malt scotch (the glenlivet). But if you like the good vodkaz, I highly recommend Youri Dulguruki (sp?), it distilled at the original cristall distillery in Russia, here on the east coast, it's distibuted by apollo dist. it's cost is rather steep for vodka, but I swear it's worth every bloody penny ~$26/750 ml.

...oh yeah, scotch w/ a splash of h2o and kettle/youri rocks & olives!!

$26/750 is cheaper than the grey goose!! (or maybe it was the collector glass that drove the price i paid up :lol: )

oh yeah there's nothing wrong with a little KSBW every now and then to remember where ya REALLY came from! :lol: :lol:

Dont tempt me to come out for the meet in Jan. I will bring "pub packs" (mixed cases of Goose :))

Well, if you're a slut & whore for pales and G&T's, I don't want to know about it.http://www.msprotege.com:8080/smilies/nervous.gif

The young lady (Kenda), on the other hand...:icon_bigg

j/k, it'd be great if you came up for our meet, but it's currently looking like it's going to be four or five of us getting together for some beer & wings, so it might not be worth a six-hour drive for you.:lol: But, hey, at least we're getting something going. It's a start.:)

I'm actually not a huge fan of most of the Goose Island products, but they really nailed the IPA, and they do a nice job with their Christmas beer, too. I love going to the actual Goose Island brewpub on Clybourn, though (hmm, possible location for a future Chicagoland meet?). Somehow, the beer is always great there, and the food's pretty good too. The IPA they have on tap is totally different than the bottled stuff (or at least it was a few years ago). The IPA on site is unfiltered and doesn't have quite the "fruity" (for lack of a better word) character of the bottled IPA.

hmm pub packs..that might be the key for Christmas. anyone know if you can make your own 6 pack at World Market?? the Total Wine is close to home, not work, and i'm stopping by World Market to pick up the wine for dinner. If not, i'll stop by the Total Wine as i hit the road, i guess.

oh yeah having a little Tanquery and tonic now. i brought home the bottle of Tanquery from the local company christmas party....we took out the bottle of Ten at the party. Hmmmm...TEN!

Archived