LegacyGT.com

Map Lights on with Dome light Mod

• 1 year later...

Just did the mod tonight on my 05 LGT. Worked like a charm!

Except for when i grazed my negative with the cutters when cutting the positive and blew a fuse. lol

But i love the mod so far. Expect this to come in handy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • I Donated
got a problem, i changed my map light leds Friday to a brighter 3 watt led and today i found one was blown and now the lights don't turn off. any advice. i hope the biu is not the cause :spin:

Does your dome light still function as normal? And if you disconnect the wire leading to the map lights does it function as normal? Once disconnected from dome light, do the map lights function as normal?

Does your dome light still function as normal? And if you disconnect the wire leading to the map lights does it function as normal? Once disconnected from dome light, do the map lights function as normal?

No and I haven't disconnected anything yet. I removed the map light bulbs and shut off the dome light switch for now.

• I Donated
I disconnected the wire, so the map lights are back to normal. i will run a ground from all 4 door switches to the dome light. i refuse to pay for a new BIU on a 11 year old car.

That seems excessive. Just re-do it and pay attention to what you're connecting to what.

That seems excessive. Just re-do it and pay attention to what you're connecting to what.

Not really, I already have all door switches connected to my alarm with diodes. All I need to do is run a wire with diode to the wires on the passenger side A pillar and cut the brown wire and connect the brown dome wire and map light.

i fried my BIU when wires touched :( ... but i managed to pick one up for 50 bux . which is very good for australia... just need to connect it up and get it reprogrammed to my security system . does any one know the ins and outs regards this . will "any " BUI box match up ?

• 2 months later...
So I did something similar to this...I bought one of those flat panel LED light pods, double stickied it to the windshield in the center area, and then wired it to the rear dome light....which also has an LED. So I didn't even touch the OE map lights (which also are LED)... Only lights left that are incandescent are the front door courtesy lights....and the high beams...and the reverse lights...or is HID reverse a better option?? Considering I have 5% tint in the rear 5 windows...

HID Reverse? Really?

Yeah, they make them....for the reverse...but I think I might just get LED bulbs...OR do what this guy did on uh...you'll laugh.....PriusChat. He installed an LED light bar under the rear bumper, but further forward (like near the rear wheels).....he had extremely dark tint like I do...and even w/ the tint the light bar helped him see better... But, I'm still thinking about things....

• 1 month later...

I recently did this mod and it's definitely worth it but please learn from my mistakes. Don't use liquid electrical tape! I was lazy and couldn't find my roll of the regular stuff or any shrink tubing; installed the map lights and the connection got pinned between the body and one of the exposed "traces" in the fixture. Blew the 20A "Back up" fuse, the diode at the joint, and my IBU.

Fortunately, I was able to use this thread to find and replace the blown transistor. If anyone is out there with a bad IBU that needs repair but doesn't have the confidence to repair them I'd be willing to for a nominal fee, just send a PM.

Final thoughts:

DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY!!!

The metal bars are very difficult to solder to, do the screw-wrap method if you can.

Switch the leads in the dome light connector instead of cutting and soldering. It takes a small precision screwdriver poked in from the front to release them; much easier that soldering!

The pictures aren't the greatest; the band of the diode (cathode for the technically inclined) goes away from the map light switch, towards the connection for the dome light.

• 3 weeks later...

I performed this mod a while back and I've been happy with it except for one issue. The map lights do not come on individually. They come on and fade just fine with the dome light, but if I want to turn them on individually I can't get them to work. I've taken measurements, I've checked the wiring but I cannot find anything wrong.

Any ideas? I appreciate any and all responses.

Edited by hwrd69

@hwrd69:

When the map lights come on, they do it by being provided a ground. When opening the door the IBU pulls the circuit for dome light, and through this mod, the map lights to ground, completing the circuit. It sounds like you've got the wiring to the dome light done right so you can scratch that off your list for troubleshooting. That just leaves the dome light circuit. I'd start by disconnecting the battery, pulling the map lights, pressing one of the light buttons, and making sure one side of the bulb has nearly no resistance to ground. If it does, double check to make sure you reversed the two wires for the map light power circuit. The blue with red stripe should be on the left when looking at the plug with the retaining clip facing you.

Hope this helps!

Edited by scoobydrvr
Typo

I just reported that the mod worked. (I left it in the garage without even starting the car before reporting success)

I went to my car later after dark for first start. Headlights and driving lights flashed for a second when I turned them on-then went dark, highbeams=NO! Now nothing but parking lights. DONT DO THIS MOD

Replaced fuse # 18 (10A) by drivers knee. Returned wires to prior. All works as before.

I think they actually blew as I put it into reverse. I think it has to do with changing polarity on the map lights. I jumped in, started it, dropped into reverse before interior lights had a chance to dim.

Edited by stevenva
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

• I Donated
I just reported that the mod worked. (I left it in the garage without even starting the car before reporting success)

I went to my car later after dark for first start. Headlights and driving lights flashed for a second when I turned them on-then went dark, highbeams=NO! Now nothing but parking lights. DONT DO THIS MOD INCORRECTLY

Replaced fuse # 18 (10A) by drivers knee. Returned wires to prior. All works as before.

I think they actually blew as I put it into reverse. I think it has to do with changing polarity on the map lights. I jumped in, started it, dropped into reverse before interior lights had a chance to dim.

FTFY.

I did this mod years ago and have had great success. Others have as well.

I was looking forward to the success of this mod. I wish it worked for me. I don't know exactly why it took out my headlights. I don't see anyone else in this thread with this result. I at least posted what had to be done to restore the headlights

Hi All.. from UK..

Have a jdm 2004 gen IV twinscroll.. Wiring looks identical to what I have seen here so have given it a go.. Just got to connect it up in the morning.. fingers crossed..

Quick question to those that know more about electronics than me (all of you I suspect), why are we using 2 diodes? What is wrong with one diode, say at the domelight end? Cant quite get my head round why 2 after that wire is split in the maplight end.. Its probably obvious, but cant see it meself..

Without using diodes to isolate each map light, the lights would no longer operate independently. It would probably/possibly feed into the overhead (behind sunroof) light when turning on either of the map lights. Edited by stevenva

I've had mine done for a while and they worked well up untill recently. What's weird is when I first unlock the door only the map lights come one. But once the car is warmed up the dome light will come on as well. When I first get in its not responsive to the switches either.

The reason I say "warm up" is because when I get in my car it's typically 10 degrees or so right now. And I didn't have this issue when it was warm out

Big thanks for this mod.. What a difference..! Had become a habit of manually switching on the maps lights everytime I stop, now all auto..!!

Will stress that you must disconnect the battery doing this mod.. Even tho I had, I tried very carefully to keep the two wires on the plug (which you have to swap around) from touching each other, veeery difficult and seems this is what blows the BUI..

Managed to do all of this without solder, used small block connectors and on the dome light, I wedged the wire under one of the metal strips connected to the middle (brown) wire, similar to how folks have been connecting the wires at the map light end..

Quite daft that this is not done at Subaru... Heated seats next..!!

Yamon, is it possible you have some condensation in your dome light? My leggy is the worst car I have ever had for condensation and is a running battle to wipe off all the interior water on the windows every time I get in it in the winter.. just a thought..

Edited by StevieGT