LegacyGT.com

Map Lights on with Dome light Mod

I think when you reattached the LEDs to the new map light assembly, they must be reverse-biased now. And/or you are now trying to get the BIU to pull down on the 12v side of the map lights; if that is the case, then you're lucky the LEDs are reversed, because you'd fry the BIU otherwise. So be care ful ! Also be aware that the map light circuit shown in the vacation pix is not exactly accurate.

I'm a dummy so bear with me. When you say the LEDs are reversed, what's that mean.

Also another clue. The map lights came on faintly this morning when I opened the door but quickly faded.

• I Donated
I'm a dummy so bear with me. When you say the LEDs are reversed, what's that mean.

Also another clue. The map lights came on faintly this morning when I opened the door but quickly faded.

They're likely not in backwards then. I'm leaning towards a bad connection somewhere in your wiring. backwards would be taking them out and then flipping them around so that the sides that are contacting left and right are now contacting right and left respectively. make sense?

They're likely not in backwards then. I'm leaning towards a bad connection somewhere in your wiring. backwards would be taking them out and then flipping them around so that the sides that are contacting left and right are now contacting right and left respectively. make sense?

Makes sense. Thanks. I'll take a look at the crimp connectors.

All right. I swapped out the crimp connector that joins the wire between the diodes and dome light. I open the door and - Tadah! - the map lights shined bright. So I'm thinking "success" and put the map light assembly back in place, open the door, and nothing. The map lights work when you push their buttons. This morning, one of the map lights came on faintly when I opened the door. I'm scratching my head on this one.

• I Donated
All right. I swapped out the crimp connector that joins the wire between the diodes and dome light. I open the door and - Tadah! - the map lights shined bright. So I'm thinking "success" and put the map light assembly back in place, open the door, and nothing. The map lights work when you push their buttons. This morning, one of the map lights came on faintly when I opened the door. I'm scratching my head on this one.

Are your connections to the map light assembly soldered? just go through the entire wiring and check every connection. If you didn't solder every connection there's a chance that it isn't there anymore.

Are your connections to the map light assembly soldered? just go through the entire wiring and check every connection. If you didn't solder every connection there's a chance that it isn't there anymore.

Not every connection. Just the diodes. I may do a little soldering, then.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add another source for LEDs: dx.com

If you search for "31mm festoon" instead of "3175 LED" you'll get more results, although the second search brings back some cool arrays with 3175 connectors. Lots of options starting at around $2.50 shipped.

Andy

• 3 months later...

For those of you like me that fried your BIU, I found a MOSFET 3377 like the original to replace the crapped one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290965049519?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Discovered what to look for on SubOperator's post, but I just want to return to original

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-05-bl-bp-stereo-heat-switches-mirror-switch-illumination-177954.html

• 1 month later...

So, I did this mod tonight and I feel compelled to make some notes from people like me who happen to be stupid and something I came to understand about this mod.

I was under the impression that the mod provided an additional hot line to the lights and would power them when on. This is not the case. The mod provides an additional ground option for the already hot light current to travel down. (maybe this was evident to everyone else, but not to me lol)

Also, after spending 3 hours working on this mod, I was about to throw up my hands when I re-read something about the step where you switch the pins. Switching the pins switches the grounds. Something I didn't think mattered until I did the mod and it didn't work. Then I realized that if the ground switched, my LED light bulbs would have to be switched because they are polarity sensitive. Sure enough, I wasted 2 extra hours because I had my LED bulbs installed backwards.

So, for those of you who already have LED bulbs and try this mod, don't forget to switch your bulbs to the opposite polarity!

• 2 months later...

Tried it followed everything that was said in the first post, then had a buddy check it over who knew more about circuits than I do.

It works great and what made it better was I had some 1N4007 diodes that my brother left behind when he was doing this electrical and electronic engineering degree.

Now waiting for me SMD 5050 LED bulbs to show up and replace everything in the car with it.

Started with the mwiener2 post then used the ScottFW post to swap the wiring and finally the PeterJMC post to figure out the diode direction.

Thanks all

Edited by the kev master

• 2 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure it works with all the doors.

It has a switch like the dome light.... On-Off-Door

My 05 OBXT, the trunk light only comes on when you open the hatch, regardless of the switch position it doesn't come on w/ other doors. Why I know? Because I've toyed w/ doing the same mod as I did w/ the front.

• 2 weeks later...
Just did this mod today on my wife's car. I switched the wires in the connectors going to the map lights, which wasn't as bad as I thought (didn't take too long). Got everything put together, put the 20A fuse back in, then opened the door. Dome light came on, but no map light. "WTF" I thought to myself. Then I remembered reading on here that if they don't work, to switch around the LED festoon bulbs I had in there. Bang - it worked! Switching those wires must reverse something. My wife will love it. Thanks for everyone offering help, especially those who posted pics (I'm a visual learner).

... switched the wires in the connectors going to the map lights ... Switching those wires must reverse something.

Yes indeed. For anyone reading this, it's very important - prevents you from frying your BIU. To make matters more confusing, if the car were actually wired as shown in the schematic, the switch wouldn't be necessary.

• 2 months later...
I did this hack years ago and it's worked flawlessly until recently. The map lights work when you press the button, but they don't come on with the dome light like they used to. I check all the fuses and connections. Any ideas?