LegacyGT.com

Regarding Hood Dampers.. Any interest in...

jsalicru

I'd have to see. I would say that I'd use USPS, but I've had bad luck shipping USPS and Canada... Let's just say there's a Canadian Customs guy somewhere with a $500 cell phone...
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://homepage.mac.com/jsalicru/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/Legacy%20Dampers/IMG_2252%20%28Large%29.JPG
reposting your pic really didn't answer the question since i still don't see what is notched? Are you removing body panel when you say notched?

I will do that when I return. Im sorry but I have to leave shortly with the XO.

Tools necesary for the installation are a drill bit (size detail to come with directions), and a dremel or similar tool to notch the plastic.

I will circle the image when I return. If you look at the rubber gasket see the semi-circle that is notched underneath it? That's what needs to be notched.

I will circle when I return. I apologize for not being able to clarify this right away.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

One last question.

I notice that there is no existing threaded hole on the car, so I assume those are the holes that will need to be drilled. How secure will the new bolt be? Will we have to use a tap or is that a self tapping bolt?

"Shipped" as in shipping included for all??.. or only in the states?? i live in vancouver canada... is the shipping still included.. i am really interested in a CF set...

Giotein

You have wishful thinking...

tack on another 40.00 phantom duty from UPS, etc, and you may hav a price. Either way, I am interested too, as I love the tein jobbies but don't want the "poseur green" impeding the engine bay.

One last question.

I notice that there is no existing threaded hole on the car, so I assume those are the holes that will need to be drilled. How secure will the new bolt be? Will we have to use a tap or is that a self tapping bolt?

The hole needs to be drilled. There are several methods that can be used to thread it. The metal there is double walled, but somewhat thin. I am going to try to find you guys a self tapping bolt. Want to know what I did?

I took a 10mm bolt from another spot of the car (I have a couple in my tool box from the DP heatshield actually) and started the threads that way. It was much easier than I expected. Most likely due to the thickness of the metal.

Regarding shipping. Hopefully it won't be too bad. If you want to calculate it yourself. My zip code is 92882, city of Corona.

The thing is this. The quote given to you in Canada is cheaper than the quote I will get here in US, just thought I'd let you know.

I will ship USPS if you really wish, but it will be done with the understanding that it is a risk.

I havent looked yet, but Im assuming that theres no way to get behind it to use a nut right?

actually there should be. I can't look right now because my wife took the car for work.

But I think that if the liner is removed, there should be access to the area.

To be honest though I would try to offer something to you guys that I didn't feel wasn't secure. the bolt is very secure and works very well. BOXRPWR has seen this in person and actually, we just talked about it some more just tonight while I did an oil change on his LGT.

Either way, i want to find the best way to make the installation easy for everyone.

I can always tell you the size of the nut needed, even include it if you wish.

Then give you different methods of possible installation based on your preference and available tools.

let me work on this tonight/tomorrow. if there IS access, which I think there is, I will supply the extra hardware in the box.

Giotein

You have wishful thinking...

tack on another 40.00 phantom duty from UPS, etc, and you may hav a price. Either way, I am interested too, as I love the tein jobbies but don't want the "poseur green" impeding the engine bay.

Gireland

We should just order two together.. and maybe shipping will be cheaper?? or is this more wishful thinking?

giotein, I sent you a PM regarding the shipping, so that I may calculate it for you.

Gireland

We should just order two together.. and maybe shipping will be cheaper?? or is this more wishful thinking?

I PM'd you. You will be happy to know the shipping isn't so bad. $11.00

Regarding everyone that wants black dampers:

If you guys want to have some black units, there are several options available.

I could sand and paint a set for you if so wished. However, it should be noted that you will have to purchase a set before I perform the painting for you..

Or by all means, you can paint them yourselves if you so wish...

ok, I have everything ready now.

Here's what will be included:

-Hood dampers with all needed hardware (ball joints & clips).

-Supplemental installation instructions specific for Legacy.

-M6 x 1.00 tap (so that you can easily install the ball joints after drilling.

The hood dampers are available in polished and carbon fiber. If you are REALLY wanting black, I can make that happen, but it will take a little time for me to prepare them for you.

lol, its real.

If BOXRPWR finishes with Harman Motive today with time to spare, I will install his CF set tonight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/paperchasin/DamperWeave.jpg

taco incident?

Here's the mount on the hood:

http://homepage.mac.com/jsalicru/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/Legacy%20Dampers/IMG_2246%20(Large).JPG

and the whole hood open...

http://homepage.mac.com/jsalicru/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/Legacy%20Dampers/IMG_2261%20(Large).JPG

taco incident?

strong dampers + lightweight aluminum hood = trouble (if not mounted to a reinforced section)

Thanks for the pics.....the mounts should be good since they use the factory lift point. Just couldn't tell that from the other pics you posted.

you are right. The taco issues tend to be present when dealing with CF hoods primarily. In fact, NRG doesn't recommend the installation of hood dampers in cars with CF hoods specifically because of that issue. With aluminum hoods, it isn't much of an issue. I've installed NRG dampers on STi with no real issue. NRG also makes a fitment for S2000 and they do quite well too.

Archived