LegacyGT.com

Regarding Hood Dampers.. Any interest in...

jsalicru

one dimension is more critical than the other, but everything can be done by eye-ball. the length-wise position is more forgiving just make it the center of the third (closest to the front of the car) cutout on the sidewall. the lateral position of the mounting bolt is more critical as J said. but it can still be eye-balled. just put the starting hole for drilling as close to the inner edge as possible while still leaving some landing room for the footprint of the mount. it would even be okay for a small portion of the mount's bottom (foot) to stick slightly over the edge. basically just don't tuck it up too close to the fender or the barrel (cylinder) of the damper will rub the side. this is especially true for carbon fiber units because the barrel is a bit bigger.

even if you get some rubbing, between us friends, its fine to pull back the rubber edge protector and grind down some extra clearance room. just coat the exposed body metal with touch-up paint, epoxy, or any decent sealer to prevent rusting. then put the rubber edge protector back on covering up the bodywork.

not that we ever had to do such a thing....:icon_wink

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
even if you get some rubbing, between us friends, its fine to pull back the rubber edge protector and grind down some extra clearance room. just coat the exposed body metal with touch-up paint, epoxy, or any decent sealer to prevent rusting. then put the rubber edge protector back on covering up the bodywork.

not that we ever had to do such a thing....:icon_wink

That's where my critical point comes from.

I don't have such issues in my install. However, I did run into this problem when I installed BOXRPWRS dampers. I completely didn't take into account that the CF damper is thicker. It still wasn't to hard to finish it off, but it required me to trim a little metal from under the rubber liner.

You can see that here..

http://homepage.mac.com/jsalicru/.Public/IMG_2330%20point.JPG

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

BTW, two of you were interested. if nobody wants by 3:30 there wont be shipping until Tuesday of next week.
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I'm interested but think I'll wait to hear how some of you did on installs. me don't want a bent hood.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I'm interested but think I'll wait to hear how some of you did on installs. me don't want a bent hood.

haha, i can make you feel better there.

There's pretty much no way to bend the hood with this.

The notching that I ask you to do is bigger than necessary. The only critical part of the installation has to do with clearance of the fender, not the hood.

I've got these installed. I can assure you there's no risk to bending the hood. Even though its aluminum....it's built really stiff. Just use your brain when pulling down the hood. If something feels totally different & wrong...then stop and look around. otherwise....it closes like a champ.

I've got these installed. I can assure you there's no risk to bending the hood. Even though its aluminum....it's built really stiff. Just use your brain when pulling down the hood. If something feels totally different & wrong...then stop and look around. otherwise....it closes like a champ.

LGT hoods are aluminum?:munch:

• 1 month later...
LGT hoods are aluminum?:munch:

All '05 & '06 Legacy hoods are Al. W/ & W/O turbos.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had a temporary lapse with my server that hosts my pictures/pdf. It will be back up shortly.

Would there be any interest in a GB? I could probably lower the price if I could get 10 of you together... In batches of 10 the price could definetly be lowered.

J - What a great offering to your fellow LGT owners.

GB sounds great and I'd even swing up and let you install a set of polished dampeners if you'd like to take pics on a SWP wagon. LMK

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

alright, everyone who has interest... you are gonna get PM'd in a few.

Archived