LegacyGT.com

best subaru

my mom bought the baja and she loves it. living up north, she tells me the baja handles top notch in snow, the vehicle is unique so she get compliments, and she loves how she can dump her flowers and soil for her garden in it. hey, there are people that love their baja despite sales. also, the front of the baja feel more spacious than the legacy.

yeah lots of people in ladies in west hollywood buy the forresters... as for the outback... ummm kinda sux cuz they really dont have their own model. their kinda the red headed step childs of the product line.. dont really their own design... imprezza outback legacy outback

... as for the outback... ummm kinda sux cuz they really dont have their own model. their kinda the red headed step childs of the product line.. dont really their own design... imprezza outback legacy outback

I've always thought it was stupid that they decided to consider "Outback" it's own separate product line. That implies that the Outback is more closely related to the Outback Sport than it is to the Legacy, which is not true.

It used to be that the Outback was a derivative of the more common Legacy.

Now Legacy is the red-headed step child. The Outback is the model that makes the line, and the Legacy is a tag-along token to the normal-car market.

That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that the Legacy and Outback are considered separate product lines, and the Outback and Outback Sport are considered part of the same product line. That is what makes no sense to me. Possible it's a marketing issue, or maybe it has to do with the Outback now being considered a "light truck".

I guess I still thought that Outback was a nameplate added to the Legacy line, and Outback Sport to the Impreza line,

Outback basically meaning tall off-road version of the other car. and that the tall and off-road bit was the "Outback" part. (nothing you don't already know, of course...)

I realize that it is getting harder to market that, and the "taller and off-road" market is aligning as a sub-segment of the Subaru brand. Since Legacy and Impreza names no longer appear on the Outback or OBSport, respectively, it is getting getting a little more confusing to the non-initiated, but hopefully people in the showrooms can visually differentiate an Outback, and an Outback Sport.

I just wish STI were as diverse, and applied to the Legacy, as well as the Impreza, as the Outback nameplate does. It would bear out my two-prong Subaru plan of attack, tall-and-offroad along side AWD street and rally/motorsport performance.

To be honest I think the new subaru naming system makes more sense.

How confusing was it to people to have the Impreza, Outback Sport which looked just like an Impreza, the Legacy, the Legacy Outback, and then wasn't there somewhere just the Outback even before they finally decided on the current naming scheme?

IMO it's pretty clear now though. The Impreza is the small sedan/wagon, the Forrester is based off it like so many other small SUVs are based off the small sedan, the Legacy is the midsize sedan and the Tribeca is the grown up SUV. The Outback is the unique model line combining cars with increased ride height and rugged parts.

Well, the new scheme makes more sense to me, in the past I could never quite figure out what Subaru was up to.

Yeah, it seems like there is a parallel line through subaru's models now.

Car -> "all-road" Car -> SUV

Legacy -> Outback -> B9 Tribeca (Baja held this place previously)

Impreza -> Outback Sport -> Forester

Too bad that parallel line isn't complete in the performance aspect.

Car -> Turbocharged Car -> STI Turbo Car

Impreza 2.5i/RS -> WRX -> WRX STI (spec B, C, S203, etc)

Legacy 2.5i -> Legacy 2.5GT (&spec B) -> ____________ Hopefully this blank will be filled.

My co-worker wanted to ride in my car the other day.

We were going for lunch.. he says to me he says...

"You want to drive, I've never ridden in an Outback before"

I stopped dead in my tracks, the smile left my face, I looked at him serious as death and said..

"It's not an Outback...."

*paused for drama*

"It's a LEGACY"

To which he replied..... "oh..? whats the difference?"

I then explained..

So yeh.. as you can see, Outback on the brain syndrom over here. :)

Archived