LegacyGT.com

Sedan mudguards

jim1969

I called Subaru today and spoke with a representive to ask if the Legacy sedan would get mudguards. He said there is no plans at this time but if enough people call Subaru then........ Personally, I like the way the car looks as is but I already had to clean dirt off that was thrown up by the front wheels. Winter will be worse plus it's easier to just kick the guard to get the icy crap to fall out of your wheel wells.[b][/b]

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I strongly dislike the looks of mud guards on a car especially a Legacy. They are not worth the irritation of the car getting additional dirt. Sorry.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Just a counterpoint, but.....In areas where they use rocks and sand for winter traction, mud guards are a saviour. In Alberta for example, you use would have no paint on the lower part of the fenders and rear bumper if you don't have mudguards. Also, driving behind cars without them during winter is definitely a curse-inducing situation.

[img]http://partner.subaru.ch/images/products/Bilder_WWW_Gross/J1010AG221.jpg[/img] [img]http://partner.subaru.ch/images/products/Bilder_WWW_Gross/J1010AG234.jpg[/img] These seem to be readily available outside North America. Hopefully Subaru of America will add them to the accessory roster soon.

You can also get a clearbra type covering put on the areas just behind the wheels if you don't like the trucker-like looks of mudflaps. Doesn't do anything for the cars behind you but works quite well for protecting your own. It's definitely best to have this done while the car is still pretty new. Many manufacturers (Honda, Toyota, etc.) apply a stronger paint finish to that area from the factory but I really don't know about Subaru since this is my first one.

I was trying to figure out how my wife's '03 Legacy was staying cleaner than mine the other day...I finally realized it was the mudgaurds...I would buy them in a minute if they were availible...just sent an e-mail to SOA.

Unless you really really really need them where you live, I totally understand that they are totally necessary BUT for ppl that just get them for the sake of getting them, well they should be outlawed, banned, burnt, scrapped and throw in the bin. LOL enough said.

jim1969, those pics are from Subaru Switzerland's site: [url]http://www.subaru.ch/showroom/legacy/legacy4/legacy4-zubeh.htm[/url] The mudguards are also shown on Subaru Australia's site (as just pointed out :D) [url]http://subaru.com.au/explore/liberty/accessories.asp?item=23464[/url] It doesn't appear to me that the North American Legacy has any differences in the shape of the wheelwell/rocker panels that would preclude these from being a direct fit...

EXACTLY. That's why when I got that reply directly from SOA (1-800 SUBARU3) I started this thread. Winter is only about 3 months away here in the northeast and I personally would like body colored mud guards but would take the black one offered elsewhere if I had to. CALL SUBARU!! Speak with Barry Hall.

Hrm...just got this reply to my "Mud guard" request e-mail: [quote]Dear Mr. ******: Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your interest in Subaru products. We do not offer mudguards for the 2005 Legacy models because of the lack of clearance in the wheel wells. There are no plans at this time to offer this accessory. Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again. Best wishes, John J. Mergen Subaru of America, Inc.[/quote] :?: Lack of clearance?

Archived