LegacyGT.com

Banjo Bolt filter

Rabbit hole, absolutely. Don't worry about the snout kit. That's for the clutch and something totally unrelated. Basically don't run your throwout bearing past seized.

I like grimmspeed too but the cost is a lot. After 06 they stopped doing cats in the up pipe so there are options out there from newer legacy gt and wrx. Invidia has worked fine for many and is cheaper. Just things to keep in mind.

Any time you change air flow through the engine. So intake turbo exhaust. Or any fueling, you'll want to get it tuned.

Don't get discouraged with the car or anything. I get distracted and ramble and can be more hindrance than help. If you want to know the concerns for these cars (and all cars have a list like these) read through here CovertRussian's 05 LGT Build Thread

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=5383&share_tid=218363&url=https%3A%2F%2Flegacygt%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D218363&share_type=t&link_source=app

The bottom of the first post has the common issues list pretty concisely. Most of them are be aware of more so than fix right away. The only fix asap is the filters and up pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My up pipe and down pipe are good. Catless and whatnot. Only thing I can see as a problem now is the banjo bolt behind the cam cover. I'll address that this summer and change them both out every time I do a timing belt job. I keep good records of the work I do, and if the car lasts a few more t-belt jobs (knock on wood)and somehow I sell it, (which I don't forsee) it's noted that I kept the banjo bolt filters on. I appreciate all the advice and help!

Wow I'm surprised you still have an engine! Many stories of blown turbos from less than that.

Yeah I know! Just got the car a couple days ago with 125k on the clock. Just spent a day and a half tearing it apart to check over everything. Still gotta tear apart the hvac and mess with the headlights. I've been perusing the forums for a couple weeks now lol

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Nice. Welcome to the club and good thing you got that out. Check the shaft play on the turbo. If it's bad it's worth getting someone's take off for a few hundred because a rebuild is thousands.

Zero Shaft play surprisingly! Nothing left right up down in or out! Had to replace the gasket for oil return and checked for play at the same time. adf3c76ca1f9f0769ede846f1f886c66.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Pretty sure this issue is what nuked my first turbo.. even tho I took it to the dealership for oil changes.. they obviously missed it.. and they some how missed my plugged up-pipe to the turbo that fried my exhaust valve that killed my engine after they had it for diagnosis... Now i'm rebuilding my engine. I'll make sure to mention it to my master mechanic that he remove those banjo bolts entirely in case hes not aware.

Yea these aren't a "serviceable" part. There's no interval to check them and they take about an hour to get to.

If you've blown a turbo, check out the blown turbo thread for all the nitty gritty on what to check to make sure it doesn't happen 10k after getting it all back together again.

Nice to see the new guy's in this thread, here's something you may like,

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2834394

and the service manual,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Also for the new guy's, I have both banjo filters removed in my 05, 130,000 miles without them, zero shaft play and no piston or bearing noise.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Nice to see the new guy's in this thread, here's something you may like,

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2834394

and the service manual,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Also for the new guy's, I have both banjo filters removed in my 05, 130,000 miles without them, zero shaft play and no piston or bearing noise.

That graph would've been super helpful lol. Def started pulling random banjo bolts trying to find the filter after my phone died [emoji23] still need to check the one behind the timing cover.

Thank you for the service manual! Got a few little projects to work on soon and this is super helpful!

With my time spent working in a dealership ive seen quite a few blown turbos on legacy gt's and the outbacks. After the first one or two, I noticed there was a common issue with the banjo filters being clogged. So after that point I started removing the filters on customers cars and never saw one comeback after that. So removing the filter definitely makes a difference!

I bought my first legacy gt back in 2018 (2009 Legacy GT Limited SWP) and within 10k miles the rod bearings gave out. So during the rebuild I made sure all of these preventive measures were taken, especially with the turbo considering the rod bearings gave out. I wasn't sure about all that metal debris in the oil damaging anything else. It's been 25k since the rebuild and everything is going strong.

Hi all new to the forums, I have been reading thru the posts like crazy trying to gain an understanding of what’s up and down....I just bought my ‘06 Legacy GT Spec-B in September (150,000 miles) from my cuz. Had a blown turbo. I pulled the turbo off last weekend and starting to piece together parts list to buy. The shaft in the turbo was loose (moved all around) but still intact. There was green sludge all around the turbo and intake. Banjo bolt seems clogged but didn’t get a chance really get inspect. I was more excited that I got the turbo out. Car seems to be in good shape. Will post pic shortly.

9dceac535f24366f461d49243b78bd21.jpg20c3be2ccd83af4811be12f8b83b9cfc.jpgd5c02e3a09f10e2ee83108e73292b6c8.jpge1e0bd7c43bc1c9884703fd41ee4c980.jpgd422b04790d0c0dd57774b8afc3f1281.jpg

Edited by crazygreek