LegacyGT.com

Turbo Oil Return Line

1 hour ago, yellowspirit said:

Would a heater hose work?  I have my doubts because water/coolant vs. oil/fuel are different...

https://www.autozone.com/heating-and-cooling/universal-radiator-heater-hose/p/continental-5-8in-heater-hose-sold-per-foot/4950_0_0

Considering how cheap it is for the OE or a mahle equivalent, I don't think I'd risk it.

More than likely the rubber itself would hold up to the heat/oil, but I did my turbo drain hose not so long ago, and aside from it being a nightmare to get clamps on it once it was in place, it was noteably a fairly firm peice of hose, that I think would be pretty hard to kink somehow.

Usually heater hose is reasonably malleable, and I'd worry about it kinking when it got up to turbo/oil temps....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Considering how cheap it is for the OE or a mahle equivalent, I don't think I'd risk it.

More than likely the rubber itself would hold up to the heat/oil, but I did my turbo drain hose not so long ago, and aside from it being a nightmare to get clamps on it once it was in place, it was noteably a fairly firm peice of hose, that I think would be pretty hard to kink somehow.

Usually heater hose is reasonably malleable, and I'd worry about it kinking when it got up to turbo/oil temps....

Yes...

The best way to access the lower clamp is from underneath the car through the space of the downpipe it seems.

I may just order another OE hose.

6 hours ago, Infosecdad said:

I tried heater hose once, had to replace it a few months later when it started leaking because the oil was eating it up.

I would only go with OEM or oil resistant hose, it's not something I would want to return to fix again.

I ended up ordering the OE hose - they had them in stock at the dealer.  For $10, I don't want to have to remove the turbo (again) to un-f my work.  $10 to not have that problem again... TAKE MY MONEY.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For you newer members, I bolted my turbo years ago. To me, it was much easier to line up the up pipe, turbo inlet and new oil return hose at the same time. Bolts were the same one's used by OEM to bolt the up pipe support bracket to the block. My dealer parts guys give me a handful of them.

DSCN4782.JPG

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here