LegacyGT.com

Turbo Oil Return Line

So around the turbo oil return line is leaking and im pretty sure its the gasket between the turbo and the metal piece. While I'm in there, I want to replace the rubber line itself. The line looks like just a fuel or heater hose so I was trying to see if it was from some special polymer or I could pick some up from my work of the same diameter.

Thanks,

Dillan M

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Alright so I couldnt find any oil hose even close to the required diameter at the local auto parts stores. However, there was a shop that deals with machinery and semitrucks which had 5/8" fuel & oil hose. I was concerned at first because regular fuel hose swells when exposed to hydrocarbons, but, this hose seems to be just a large fuel hose made of some sort of oil resistant silicone.

I have my turbo out for the second time and sure enough it dumping oil from both the gasket area and the worn out hose. As far as replacement, I picked up a felpro gasket kit specific for the vf40 and the gasket(s) intended for the oil return are 2 paper material cutouts with the same shape as the original. Would these gaskets still work or should i just wait the week or 2 for new ones? I do have another used one from a different turbo that may work also

Great to see your able to "think outside the box" You may also have a supply house that has parts for heavy equipment repairs. There are options out there if you just think.

Those gaskets may work with a little red RTV on both sides.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Great to see your able to "think outside the box" You may also have a supply house that has parts for heavy equipment repairs. There are options out there if you just think.

Those gaskets may work with a little red RTV on both sides.

Yeah man, from this trip I found there is quite a bit of large machinery places close by I had no idea about

So another advancement, maybe. I was reading around other car forums about leaking oil return gaskets. I found this thread:

https://www.srtforums.com/threads/turbo-oil-return-line-gasket-alternative.488317/

In theroy, if I could get a gasket of the same size with the silicone inner lining, it SHOULD seal better than the stock (maybe) I will go ahead and try it and let everyone know how it goes.

Found this one at O'reilys, ill have to see it in person to determine how plausible it is.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/mahle-original-4186/fuel---emissions-16775/turbo---supercharger-16802/turbocharger-oil-line-gasket-14183/1b9fac983f6c/mahle-original-turbocharger-oil-line-gasket/b32315/4425661?pos=1

If it doesn't work out, im replacing the turbo in a couple months anyway.

Back in the early Turbo charged Civic day's I learned about this,

https://www.bing.com/search?q=thunderbird+turbo+coupe+gasket+kit+for+turbo&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTSR

I also recall going to a local Volvo dealership to get oil return gaskets too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thinking more about it, I'm pretty sure most turbo's use the same basic setup for the oil return.

JmP6889928 may be helpful if you reach out to him. I'm sure there's a post in his sticky about this.

Back in the early Turbo charged Civic day's I learned about this,

https://www.bing.com/search?q=thunderbird+turbo+coupe+gasket+kit+for+turbo&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTSR

I also recall going to a local Volvo dealership to get oil return gaskets too.

From the look of it, most journal bearing turbos have the similar oil return lines. Im not sure if they're all the same size but they definitely look similar.

Thinking more about it, I'm pretty sure most turbo's use the same basic setup for the oil return.

JmP6889928 may be helpful if you reach out to him. I'm sure there's a post in his sticky about this.

Haha im supposed to be sending him one of my turbos for an upgrade.

I think he has been busy lately but ill see what he says

Even the Garrett GT35R's have the same flange. Pretty common.

Remember this is just the center section your dealing with, different MFG's will stick different hot sides and cold sides on.

Even the Garrett GT35R's have the same flange. Pretty common.

Remember this is just the center section your dealing with, different MFG's will stick different hot sides and cold sides on.

Interesting, didn't really think about that. Depending on the needs they just switch out the compressor and exhaust. In that case, I should be good with quite a few different oil return gaskets.

A sort of related question, are there any secret techniques to get this oil return line on?

Ive already swapped the turbo once, but this hose is just not stiff enough to bend all over the place and too stiff to go where I want it to. Put the turbo in place twice now and I check up on the oil hose and its all bent up the wrong way. This is with both connections oiled.

The drain pipe on the bottom of the turbo is slightly angled. Iirc it needs to angle toward the front of the car. If it faces back it won’t line up. If you removed it to seal the flange I’d double check its orientation.
Yeah I had it on backwards the first time I got the turbo mounted. I took it off and flipped it around and tried it again. Its still being a pita. The problem may be I cut the hose too short and it didn't have enough line to seat itself on both sides.

Just though I would share some stuff I found.

Oil (with filter) and coolant banjo bolt gasket:

1/2" diameter.

P/N at oreilys was H9461 for a pack of 10 for $6

Or

P/N H9452-2 pack of 2 for $ 1.79 (there are slightly thicker)

Oil banjo bolt on turbo:

Any 25/64" copper gasket

P/N at oreilys 66272 for pack of 2 at $3.49

Oil Return line is 5/8", a truck and machinery place should have oil & fuel line that size $5 a foot. To make installing turbo a little easier you could cut a length the same as th old line and use oil to get it into place. I left the line on side going into the crank case for a bit to help stretch it out.

The oil return gasket should be same as any turbo with a similar outlet, I used a beaded steel one from mahle, P/N B32315 at $5

Thanks, I took the liberty of adding that info to JmP's sticky up top. See post #288

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-p5895672.html#post5895672

• 3 years later...
On 12/3/2019 at 8:38 PM, dwmccauley01 said:

Just though I would share some stuff I found.

Oil (with filter) and coolant banjo bolt gasket:

1/2" diameter.

P/N at oreilys was H9461 for a pack of 10 for $6

Or

P/N H9452-2 pack of 2 for $ 1.79 (there are slightly thicker)

Oil banjo bolt on turbo:

Any 25/64" copper gasket

P/N at oreilys 66272 for pack of 2 at $3.49

Oil Return line is 5/8", a truck and machinery place should have oil & fuel line that size $5 a foot. To make installing turbo a little easier you could cut a length the same as th old line and use oil to get it into place. I left the line on side going into the crank case for a bit to help stretch it out.

The oil return gasket should be same as any turbo with a similar outlet, I used a beaded steel one from mahle, P/N B32315 at $5

Would a heater hose work?  I have my doubts because water/coolant vs. oil/fuel are different...

https://www.autozone.com/heating-and-cooling/universal-radiator-heater-hose/p/continental-5-8in-heater-hose-sold-per-foot/4950_0_0

On 11/28/2019 at 10:49 AM, DaveWaters said:

The drain pipe on the bottom of the turbo is slightly angled. Iirc it needs to angle toward the front of the car. If it faces back it won’t line up. If you removed it to seal the flange I’d double check its orientation.

This looks to be my problem...