LegacyGT.com

Data Logging Results

PhilT

Hi all,

Just looking through this thread, but I notice a critical data channel that's missing in your logs: coolant temp. It is really hard to understand what's happening if you can't see if the coolant temp was the same from file to file. While MAF is a critical input for base maps, ECT is generally used to correct those base maps.

Likewise, since you're looking at MAF, I would also log intake cam position duty cycle and tumble valve DC as well, just for comparison.

Not trying to be critical, just trying to help you guys make the best comparisions possible.

autoeng

05 LGT 5MT

Good points made. However, it is generally assumed that anyone datalogging under WOT, will have the engine up to operating temps, before starting logs.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what do you think you are going to run at etown now man? 12.5?

Well, I'm not the best launcher, coupled with the fact that I'm sheepish with the tranny, mid 12's seems attainable. It's really the trap speed that I want, something in the 113-116mph range. This car pulls like a freight train on the highway...

Mccorry thanks for the cutepdf link. Works great.

Here is one of my logs. Thoughts anyone?

[ATTACH]16840[/ATTACH]

If you want to know what's going on under WOT, you need to log it. With the exception for a very brief area between 5289-5900 rpm's, you weren't at WOT. The ecu uses much different timing/fuel tables under part throttle, than at WOT. Mostly it hunts for stoic(closed loop), and uses the front O2 sensor for feedback. Under WOT it is using open loop.

I find it easiset to log by triggering the log just before going WOT, then either run through a couple of gears, or just start your log from say 2.5K in 3rd, and then just rev it out, then stop the log. You can then clean it up, so that you only have a couple of seconds prior to & after the 100% throttle.

So, who uses EcuExplorer and who uses the DL1? After looking through EcuExplorer, its not for first timers from what i can figure out. Anyone willing to chime in and help me out? Can't figure out which one to use.

- Luminati

Looking at stock logs, it seems MAF readings are different for each car. Phil, you had 200's on your stock readings a while ago, and though I cant find any others except my own, the readings for mine are different by 20, stock to stock. It seems like its hard to compare apples to apples.

Anyone, esp edmundu who has helped me before

The first logs I did were back in December 05 and January 06, and since I hadn't made any changes and the car runs great I haven't done more until this past week and today. Since I am doing my uppipe finally, after waiting for warmer weather, I wanted a reference log for a before and after comparison. Most parameters look essentially the same except the EGTs which are higher and worry me.

The log I attach is from my road 'dyno', a steep interstate hill with slow lanes and on/off ramps on both sides. This is a 3rd gear 2k to 4th run. Outside temp was mid 60s, sunny.

I took the parameters from a posted edmundu log, but welcome suggestions for adding or subtracting any. This is a TDC e-tune with which I have been very happy. Talking to Jon via IM, he advises that once the up cat is gone EGT will decrease 100c. The temps only go this high after staying in the throttle near the top of 4th gear after starting at 2k in 3rd. It wants to hang there instead of shifting for some TCU reason.

Thanks everyone.

This is a .csv renamed .pdf.

Ive can't figure out how to view the files .csv renamed to .pdf :confused: !!?A!!

what program do i need to change them? Ive tried the Open office, and CutePDF. But, im not too good with Document type programs.

- Luminati

Save it as file.csv instead of file.pdf. Your browser likely has some kind of "save link as" capability. If that doesn't work, rename the saved file however you normally rename files.

Anyone, esp edmundu who has helped me before

The first logs I did were back in December 05 and January 06, and since I hadn't made any changes and the car runs great I haven't done more until this past week and today. Since I am doing my uppipe finally, after waiting for warmer weather, I wanted a reference log for a before and after comparison. Most parameters look essentially the same except the EGTs which are higher and worry me.

The log I attach is from my road 'dyno', a steep interstate hill with slow lanes and on/off ramps on both sides. This is a 3rd gear 2k to 4th run. Outside temp was mid 60s, sunny.

I took the parameters from a posted edmundu log, but welcome suggestions for adding or subtracting any. This is a TDC e-tune with which I have been very happy. Talking to Jon via IM, he advises that once the up cat is gone EGT will decrease 100c. The temps only go this high after staying in the throttle near the top of 4th gear after starting at 2k in 3rd. It wants to hang there instead of shifting for some TCU reason.

Thanks everyone.

This is a .csv renamed .pdf.

You put your foot into it, and went WOT for 20+ seconds, uphill, in 77* air, with a custom tune and your engine didn't complain :icon_bigg !

IMO, you have slightly elevated EGT's, but coupled with the fact that you still have an UP cat, I completely agree with Jon here, in that your EGT's will drop by 150-175* once you get rid of the UP cat.

There's a reason why Subaru didn't put one on the STI. Sustained WOT will cause any engine's EGT's to rise, particularly uphill under a nice load.

Rest easy, your car is running well. You could use a touch more timing in the mid range, but I see that the ecu was reducing dynamic advance, likely due to increasing load from the uphill pull. This too helped contribute to the higher EGT's.

Usually the most obvious escapes me. Thanks guys, you saved the rest of my hair form being pulled out.

Ill post some logs of Cobb Stg2 1.10 vs. 1.115 later today and see if there is any big diffrence.

- Luminati

You put your foot into it, and went WOT for 20+ seconds, uphill, in 77* air, with a custom tune and your engine didn't complain :icon_bigg !

IMO, you have slightly elevated EGT's, but coupled with the fact that you still have an UP cat, I completely agree with Jon here, in that your EGT's will drop by 150-175* once you get rid of the UP cat.

There's a reason why Subaru didn't put one on the STI. Sustained WOT will cause any engine's EGT's to rise, particularly uphill under a nice load.

Rest easy, your car is running well. You could use a touch more timing in the mid range, but I see that the ecu was reducing dynamic advance, likely due to increasing load from the uphill pull. This too helped contribute to the higher EGT's.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have been on pins and needles over this. This is what I had hoped to hear. My imagination, and some recent posts about what can go wrong, was working some cruel overtime. Next,....out out damned cat!

What would we do without you, edmundu.

My next post should be better.

Archived