LegacyGT.com

JDM Clone Headlight Project

I have been throwing around the idea of painting my current headlights or get a set of 13-14 headlights. OEM headlights are out of the budget, and I'm not convinced on the quality of the cheap knockoffs. So, I decided on painting my headlights to be as close to 10-12 JDM as possible, with a twist.

I bugged Humble quite a bit since he has opened up his headlights recently, and he helped me decide to get a set of Klearz corner lenses. I ended up getting a set of smoked lenses to replicate the deleted corner light on the JDM's, but still have a light there. I ordered them on Friday and they were delivered on Monday, way quicker than I expected.

I'm going to tape off the chrome with painters tape and paint the bezels to match the JDM's, and asked Brunzo to take a few pics of the bezels he removed from his lights for more detail. Also, Humble recommended getting new butyl headlight sealant, and that will be arriving today.

I'll also be reconditioning the lens since they are due anyway. The nice thing is my wife is going on vacation in a few weeks, so I'll be able to take my time since I'll have her car.

This should be an interesting and hopefully not too frustrating project. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4143e7es-960.jpg

Here's the picture for you of hi-tech headlights for our cars :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Here's my headlight project report, it uses google auto-translate engine but i hope you can get the idea.

Headlight removal link.

You can actually browse the whole logbook of my car changes via google translate there.

4143e7es-960.jpg

Here's the picture for you of hi-tech headlights for our cars :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Here's my headlight project report, it uses google auto-translate engine but i hope you can get the idea.

Headlight removal link.

You can actually browse the whole logbook of my car changes via google translate there.

I thought the bumper had to come off to get the headlights out.

Why was the reflector so fried in the old lights? were they running higher wattage bulbs or HIDs or something? light output must have been terrible!

The bumper definitely does have to come off to get the headlights out.

Not necessary. I removed top grill clips, removed side wheel housing/bumper clip and gently pulled out the bumper side till i get access to headlight side screws. Then also pulled it a little out from top to release headlights. No need to take it off completely.

Why was the reflector so fried in the old lights? were they running higher wattage bulbs or HIDs or something? light output must have been terrible!

Original xenon lights were officially subject for Subaru Goodwill company (parts for free, pay for labour). The issue is that koito xenon lens coating burns out with time. I could not apply for goodwill as this car is not serviced at dealer anymore.

You have a JDM equivalent. JDM and USDM lights have different brackets, and the USDM lights have a screw at the bottom that's accessed from the front that's completely blocked by the bumper. The lights are not removable with the bumper on the car. Also, factory xenon lights don't exist in North America. All USDM Legacy's are halogen only from factory.

Screw in question.

http://i.imgur.com/nydy820.jpg

Brunzo sent me a ton of pics of his old bezels, so that will really help with the taping off of the chrome. Also, it looks like the JDM's are glossy black, so I'll go that direction.

If you could post some of those pics up here, I'd be grateful. I plan to do the JDM pattern too, in semi-gloss black.

I suppose I need do my headlights too, and I have FX-R HID projectors and Klearz lenses sitting in the garage, so I really have no excuse. I'm going to black out my GX470 headlights first as a dry run.

Keep in mind that many here have had issues with taping off the chrome bezels of our lights. When they pull the tape off, the chrome comes with it, and they've just defaulted to painting the entire bezel because of this. I would suggest spraying the chrome bezels with a few layers of clear coat first, before taping.

If you could post some of those pics up here, I'd be grateful. I plan to do the JDM pattern too, in semi-gloss black.

I suppose I need do my headlights too, and I have FX-R HID projectors and Klearz lenses sitting in the garage, so I really have no excuse. I'm going to black out my GX470 headlights first as a dry run.

Keep in mind that many here have had issues with taping off the chrome bezels of our lights. When they pull the tape off, the chrome comes with it, and they've just defaulted to painting the entire bezel because of this. I would suggest spraying the chrome bezels with a few layers of clear coat first, before taping.

Thanks for the heads up. I was concerned as well after hearing of the chrome pulling up. I'll try the clear coat method. Look like there will be a bit of intricate taping to match the JDM's.