LegacyGT.com

JDM Clone Headlight Project

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn signal bulbs arrived today. Going to tape off the second headlight tonight and paint them in the booth at work tomorrow.

Also, the delicate surface Frog tape does not like sticking to itself. I have to keep pushing it back down. Hope it stays long enough to paint.

f5082f5afbe955b80d115d5c0e65f1e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Falcor

Also, the delicate surface Frog tape does not like sticking to itself. I have to keep pushing it back down. Hope it stays long enough to paint.

Use the Frog tape only around the edges so as not to peel the chrome, use a stronger tape everywhere else.

Pulled the tape off last night. Was pretty careful and no issues with the chrome pulling up.[emoji1303]

I did have a couple spots on one where the paint pulled up along a tape line. At first it didn’t bother me too much, by after sleeping on it I taped them off and touched it up this morning.

4b4e5c9d2fafd79a8b167457b6e394ca.jpg

So, I removed the tape and the lines are only a little better. It’s something I can live with though. I went to cleanup a spot of overspray and used alcohol on a q-tip to remove it. I ended up removing the chrome in that spot [emoji51]. It was a white/creme color.

I tried a silver rub’n buff I use on 3D prints and it didn’t help, so I went to find some silver/chrome paint. Went to Westlake, Hobby Lobby, and finally Lowe’s before I decided on Krylon silver something. After a test I realized it wouldn’t work to spray, so I put some on a q-tip and lightly covered the spot. Now, I don’t think it will be very noticeable.

I ended up putting them in my makeshift “oven” for about 40 min to help them cure. Planning on reassembling everything tomorrow or Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I probably should have mentioned it if I didn't. Trying to remove over spray is a futile effort. I learned that the same way. Qtip and alcohol. Depending on the situation I actually found if you are really gentle with just a dry Qtip it can possibly remove light over spray. But most of the time it's almost a guarantee you'll end up removing the chrome. And trying to paint it back chrome is next to impossible so best you can do is just makes it a close grey like you did.

I stressed over having nice lines and bits of barely noticeable over spray but once it's assembled and your nose is further then a foot away its hard to notice the imperfections.

Finally finished up a couple hours ago. Still have to polish the lenses again, but I’ll get better pics tomorrow.

If you become tired of lenses polishing or it gets some cracks - you can purchase new glass on aliexpress. I just noticed - mine got some small cracks around on edges.

PS: if someone is willing to do the same clone project and is not good at painting, I have my old genuine EU (it has no side reflector) black bezels collecting dust..

PS: if someone is willing to do the same clone project and is not good at painting, I have my old genuine EU (it has no side reflector) black bezels collecting dust..

Honestly, if I were to ever do this again, I would buy pre-painted bezels. Unless I was painting the whole bezel black. Taping took around 6 hours total over a couple nights.

Then there was the oven issue. Unless you have a large oven or access to one, these will not fit in a normal household oven (at least not mine). The homemade heat gun box oven worked, but takes quite a bit longer.