LegacyGT.com

Picking an intercooler

AHoy. Just got my VF52 in the mail, and am looking to upgrade my intercooler as well. Any suggestions on what and where the best bang for my buck would be? Just wanted to get the communities opinion. Cheers.

It really depends on what supporting mods you're running in addition to the turbo, but generally the best intercooler will be whatever you can find a good deal on. If you're only replacing the turbo then I would probably recommend just staying stock (or reinforced stock). Grimmspeed makes the best TMIC and is worth every penny IMO, but PW TMIC's work just as well. I have mixed feelings on the Perrin/AVO/Mishimoto intercoolers, but they're worth it if you can find one under $300. I wouldn't run a FMIC with a VF52 unless it was free.

I'm a big fan of the GS tmic. I had one of those stock style knock off's, they are all difficult to install and remain trouble free. The GS fixes all the issues.

DSCN7058.thumb.JPG.b3bff6d90812fcebed3c3127b4d3db3f.JPG

DSCN7059.thumb.JPG.fdd682665be30c4816227089d0279e91.JPG

DSCN7057.thumb.JPG.3232a97c1aaa75487d7c3a2e654a26c9.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I bought my Perrin used off the classified 8 years ago, I have zero complaints about it running it with a vf52. You should be able to find a used one for under $400. Certainly the Grimmspeed is better but even used it’s going to be twice the price. I haven’t found any reason to switch out my Perrin and have no plans to.

same experience as Holla. Currently running the Grimmspeed TMIC and yes its better than the Perrin / AVO options but that said, I ran my Perrin for 8 years with no problems on both a VF40 and then VF52.

I have tried the Perrin/AVO top mounts. They work well once installed. The install itself is somewhat of a pain due to the tight fitment. Now I have a Grimmspeed. It is by far the better in terms of fitment.

All will work fine with the VF40 and 52 turbos.

j.

If you do your own work the GS will pay for itself in removal/reinstall time very quickly.

5 min to remove and 5 min to reinstall. No wrestling and finagling every time trying to get it sealed up properly.

I’ve never understand why people have so many fitment issues with the Perrin/Avo. I can have mine off and back on in under 15 mins. Never once have I struggled to remove or install it and I’ve had it off countless times.

Quality control issues I assume. You likely just got a good one.

Also there are minor differences in everyone's setup (1/16" here and 1/16" there) and the silicone hoses allow for those differences where the rigid connection doesn't.

I’ve had an AVO for a couple years now and have taken it off way too many times.

Two bolts, one clamp, and one vacuum hose and it’s done and out.

No issues putting it back in either.

I imagine that are differences with each setup, but I’ve been happy with my AVO.

I agree - GS is the top tier option - it's one of the few items I felt represented the cost.... It's worth it for all the right reasons:

- Quality

- Fitment

- Performance

- Customer Service - (So I hear - never needed on mine)

There are certainly others that work - but seems like no others hit all the categories

I’d like to forward you to this bit of intercooler testing that was done by variyforum members:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/post-intercooler-iat-testing-268293.html

TL;DR: Grimmspeed > Stock >> AVO

If the Grimmspeed cost too much for you, one of the Grimmspeed/process west knockoffs would still be better than the Perrin/AVO/Misimoto style.

For a daily driver with minor to moderate modifications, I think the best bang for the buck would be the "bulletproof mod" for the stock TMIC. That's what I'm planning on with mine, as I have no plans to go beyond Stage II power levels...still waiting to find a nice used Cobb DP.

That said, I would jump on a used Grimmspeed unit for the right price. The new price of $1000 is a lot of coin in my world for a not tracked daily driver that needs a steady upkeep and repairs budget.

• 2 weeks later...

Which STI Intercooler can I swap in for a relative upgrade? I have Catless Up/DP ...Invidia/Spec B, Cobb AP Pro Tune "Stage 2" and I'm looking to upgrade to VF52 as well...Not gonna spend for the GS as AWDFTW said, I gotta keep it roadworthy.

I'm definitely on a budget but want what's going to work well with the VF52...Will retune as well, obv.

Which STI Intercooler can I swap in for a relative upgrade? I have Catless Up/DP ...Invidia/Spec B, Cobb AP Pro Tune "Stage 2" and I'm looking to upgrade to VF52 as well...Not gonna spend for the GS as AWDFTW said, I gotta keep it roadworthy.

I'm definitely on a budget but want what's going to work well with the VF52...Will retune as well, obv.

I could be wrong, but I don't think any Sti tmic is a simple bolt on.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sti+intercooler&oq=STi+intercooler&aqs=chrome.0.0l6.6783j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

That's why GS made there's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

i was on the fence with the new grimmspeed tmic... but i'm sold. i was going to order but i saw max had 2 different colors for his 2 cars and on the GS site black is for the "Thermal Dispersant Coating" it looks like. is there any real difference?

No real difference. When I ordered the second one I found it hard to find the costing option so that's why its not black.

I did put some gold heat foil on the bottom side of it over top of the turbo.

The black came from the group buy.

FWIW, Looking through boxes in the basement last night, I did find a OEM tmic in a box.

So update, I just F***ing sent it and bought the GS. I tried as hard as I could to buy a used one, but couldn't be found. It's here, and now I'm just waiting on my tuner to come back from vacation so the mods can begin.

• 3 weeks later...