LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

1 hour ago, Kojak said:

I’ve been staring at the new filter in the passenger foot well for over a month. Long overdue. Drove another hour for work and an hour home, no repeat performance. Temps ranged from low 70’s at ignition to foggy and 60’s over a bay area bridge, then mid 80’s as I was spitting distance to Sonoma Speedway and into Napa. Chalking it up to old cabin filter, odd atmospheric conditions and running my heater for the first time in months last nite. Appreciate the prompt support. 

That’ll do it brother. I notice it when the humidity is high or foggy. Condensation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kojak said:

I’ve been staring at the new filter in the passenger foot well for over a month. Long overdue. Drove another hour for work and an hour home, no repeat performance. Temps ranged from low 70’s at ignition to foggy and 60’s over a bay area bridge, then mid 80’s as I was spitting distance to Sonoma Speedway and into Napa. Chalking it up to old cabin filter, odd atmospheric conditions and running my heater for the first time in months last nite. Appreciate the prompt support. 

I had the same thing happen to me a couple months ago. Only once, and I chalked it up to the same things. 

MILKRUN  - Click Here

After flashing the ECU back to stock (mentioned previously), I've been gently ramping up how heavy my right foot is.  Last night I finally put my foot to the floor a few times.  Not official pulls or anything, just a few to get max boost and higher RPMs to see how my IAM looked afterwards.  Happy to say, my Learning View looked excellent after.  I'll still be checking it every month or so (because unpredictable engine issues are what makes a Subaru a Subaru...).

Also did some work trying to condition/soften the passenger seat, lower side material.  The leather/vinyl/whatever next to the Alcantara has gotten kinda stiff.  I'll be giving it good doses of leather conditioner to try to get it to soak in and see if it loosens it up.  My driver side is soft and flexible.  I also found that same stiff material on the tops of the rear seats, so doing the same there.  Anyone have special tips on getting that stuff supple quickly?

Getting ready to move this thing to the carport so I can swap an engine into my Forester before winter.....

I drained a bit of oil into a clear container through my fumoto valve, and it doesn't have any flakes in it.  Is this racket from lifters?

I'm getting some smoke from both sides of the engine once it warms up.  I think it's coolant dripping on the exhaust, altho maybe I have an exhaust leak? Water pump was new when I did timing belt. 

After swapping out my MAF sensor to a known good one, my AFR at idle is around 18, which is better then the 20-22 with the MAF that came on the car.

Edited by pksystems

Yes  I know the afr is quite high idling.

I don't think the tone changes when I rev it.  I haven't run it longer then ~10minutes.

I'm beginning to wonder if my gates timing tensioner is an issue after watching YouTube vids with similar ticking. I didn't check where all the components were made.

On 10/15/2023 at 3:26 PM, Kojak said:

Just got to work after an aggressive 30+ min commute, pulling in to oark had smoke from the A/C vent. Temp gauge looks normal. No noticeable smoke in engine bay. Burnt compressor? Anyone wanna weigh in? Smoke was whiteish w little to no odor, fwiw. 

Is this like an occasional misting type smoke? And is your AC running when this is happening?

This happens to me in super humid conditions. I believe that another related symptom is that in the dead of summer (full blast AC) and higher humidity, my condenser will freeze over. Blower still working at full blast, but not a lot of air flow out the vents. I would turn off the AC for about 5 min, and then I would get airflow again.

I believe this is either obstructed drain or slightly dirty condenser fins that leads to condensation freezing over.

Next time my dash comes out I will take a closer look

• Thanks 1

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

5 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

Very nice!

I got to drive @Code’s LGT the other day, and daaayum it’s fun. AVO BB turbo with about 380whp and STi 6mt. 

Thanks and I’m glad you enjoyed the ride/drive.  It’s nice to have another forum member drive my car, however brief it was, and give some thoughts/assessments.  I’ve never driven any Subaru other than the few that I’ve owned. 

*DISCLAIMER: it’s probably more like 360whp ish.  On the day of the tune and with what settings they use at Six Star Motorsports (tuned by JR), her best run was 375hp//415tq and from there she was dialed back a bit for the sake of longevity.  😉 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

What did I do today? I learned that there's a fuel cut when I hit the rev limiter at 6500... 😬  I didn't mean to, but I was passing someone and they decided to speed up a little, and my ego put the pedal down.  I was worried I'd damaged something when the power dropped off, haha. But after my weekly fluids and Learning View check everything is still happy.

I also waved at multiple other hood scooped subies with no reciprocation...

Edited by SilentJ20
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SilentJ20 said:

What did I do today? I learned that there's a fuel cut when I hit the rev limiter at 6500... 😬  I didn't mean to, but I was passing someone and they decided to speed up a little, and my ego put the pedal down.  I was worried I'd damaged something when the power dropped off, haha. But after my weekly fluids and Learning View check everything is still happy.

I also waved at multiple other hood scooped subies with no reciprocation...

You could always change the rev limit to 7k. My tuner did that. Although I almost never go there since it doesn't pull that much up there, at least in my case.

Thanks to @Febreze Mee for givong the heads up on this event!

Attended a driver skills event Hosted at the Bremerton Motorsports Park. I was the only scoobie there. It was great fun.

The Porsche Club Pacific Northwest Region, Audi Club Northwest, and BMW CCA Puget Sound Region Chapter have teamed up to provide instructors for this event, with one goal: to provide the best car control experience possible.

The instructors were were fantastic and it was a great learning experience.

The last photo is a Cayman jump starting another Cayman 😆 

20231021_100415.jpg

20231021_151159.jpg

20231021_152553.jpg

20231021_125341.jpg

Edited by Captain Redbeard
Give credit to the guy that alerted me to the event
  • Like 10

While waiting for my fuel pressure gauge to come in to hopefully pinpoint some weirdness while tuning for my 20X swap, installed my new '05 headlights (thanks, @SubOperator!), cursed the collision repair shop that apparently "fixed" the car before I got it, and did a quick and dirty chrome grille surround blackout.

IMG_1119.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Captain Redbeard said:

Attended a driver skills event Hosted at the Bremerton Motorsports Park. I was the only scoobie there. It was great fun.

The Porsche Club Pacific Northwest Region, Audi Club Northwest, and BMW CCA Puget Sound Region Chapter have teamed up to provide instructors for this event, with one goal: to provide the best car control experience possible.

20231021_100415.jpg

20231021_151159.jpg

20231021_152553.jpg

20231021_125341.jpg

John and I were supposed to volunteer. Work has ramped up the last week, and I had to go in today (it's still late Saturday for me night rn), so I couldn't make it out. I'm glad to hear that you made it out. Glad to see familiar cars out there. And I hope the car got as much love as mine was while throwing it around course.

I cannot wait to hear what you've learned and freshened up on. I hope this will be the catalyst to plunge you into AutoX, or similar HPDE, that aren't as hard on the car as several, 20min long, open track-day sessions. It would be really fun to consistently spend a Saturday with one of y'all. 

• Like 2

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Doing some checks, and exploratory surgery today. I’ve got a chunk/clunk that sounds like it’s coming from the right front under compression. Took the strut out, checked the tightness of everything in the suspension on that side. Took a look at the engine mounts, sway bar mounts, etc. Cannot figure it out. Checked some other stuff in the engine while I was doing things, and accidentally denied myself AC for a bit… ooops! I also took off the under tray for now. It’s looking pretty beat up, and I suspect was the source of a rattle I’ve been hearing as well. 

IMG_0667.thumb.jpeg.892763ba18ba07bd0237f1355c52f659.jpeg

IMG_0660.thumb.jpeg.0233dc49608c53b5ab102d427c2a6b13.jpeg

Edited by tehspud
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 10/21/2023 at 7:24 PM, Captain Redbeard said:

20231021_100415.jpg

20231021_151159.jpg

20231021_152553.jpg

20231021_125341.jpg

I sure would love to have time to attend an event like this. Been a long time since I've been on a track and it would've been a hoot to have two wagons there.  Love the stance of yours. What springs/ struts, or coilovers?

• Like 1

Not had time for much lately but I did finally adjust the koni struts to a stiffer setting and what a difference.  They were about in the middle of their range and I put them at 1/4 turn back from full stiff and it's made a huge difference.  The car no longer has a wallowing feel on uneven pavement, it feels totally planted now even on undulating pavement and big sweeping ramps and it didn't hurt the ride quality at all. 

The odometer will turn over 200k on my morning commute. 

Also went up against my first BMW tonight but not sure if I'd be breaking any site rules talking about that. 

• Like 3