LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

33 minutes ago, SubOperator said:

Yes. I knew he had something to do with the film industry but never looked him up. Amazing! I have to say he was always willing to go extra distance to help me out, several times he arranged some JDM parts to be shipped to me directly from Japan while he was there.

InfosecDad is rocking the JDM HID headlights I bought from Arnold but never installed.

Thank you for the link!

He’s a great guy! We were hunting down the EDM center console pieces at the same time and while some people would become competitive and not even think about helping others, he did the exact opposite.

• Like 2

Thanks to my boys who did most of the heavy lifting for the swap, taking care of removing the USDM front end parts and installing JDM hood, fenders and whole bumper related set of parts. I mostly dragged the project by procrastinating with the headlights and related wiring.

Btw now I have full 05 USDM front end in RBP (color code 35J) for sale - hood, fenders, bumper, front crash bar, headlights, fog lights. Will put that up in FS section.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

1 hour ago, SubOperator said:

Thanks to my boys who did most of the heavy lifting for the swap, taking care of removing the USDM front end parts and installing JDM hood, fenders and whole bumper related set of parts. I mostly dragged the project by procrastinating with the headlights and related wiring.

Btw now I have full 05 USDM front end in RBP (color code 35J) for sale - hood, fenders, bumper, front crash bar, headlights, fog lights. Will put that up in FS section.

How is JDM hood different?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WRX USA said:

How is JDM hood different?

Good question! I do not know if it is in fact different. The JDM donor was 09 and my car is USDM 05. I have read somewhere that the USDM hood front part does not align with JDM grille and bumper but I have not verified that actually.

Would be interesting to cross verify part ## for both.

On 9/22/2023 at 8:10 AM, SubOperator said:

There is a forum member in Hawaii that makes wiring adapters for various JDM things. Headlights being one of them. Anyone know his name off the top of their head?

19 minutes ago, ckwaters said:

There is a forum member in Hawaii that makes wiring adapters for various JDM things. Headlights being one of them. Anyone know his name off the top of their head?

These two are options:

https://www.legacyoddsnends.com/

or

https://aaronssubieelectronics.com/product-category/wiring-harnesses/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ckwaters said:

20 hours ago, WRX USA said:

11 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

I am pretty sure the legacyoddsnends site is owned by the forum member from Hawaii.

LegacyOddNends is Ralph from Hawaii. I used his harnesses for the headlights main harness and level motor harness as well. I have his folding mirror harness kit too, half mounted (the switch part is done).

Good quality and workmanship. I decided to reuse the JDM parking bulb socket from original JDM harness - the ones in Ralph's harness were not as long and were difficult to insert as the opening in the back of the light is very deep- hence the original OEM socket being longer. It may just be that the rubber seal is too thick on new connectors, I compared them after cutting and that was the only other difference.

Ralph's instructions are also very helpful and detailed. 5 stars imo.

• Like 4

Picked up a JDM dual climate zone center panel with i88 harness and a pioneer head unit off FB marketplace.  I don't plan to use the head unit.  I now need to find a touchscreen to be used with the Clarion backup camera I grabbed from picknpull awhile ago.

PXL_20230924_212750220.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/22/2023 at 9:01 PM, SubOperator said:

Good question! I do not know if it is in fact different. The JDM donor was 09 and my car is USDM 05. I have read somewhere that the USDM hood front part does not align with JDM grille and bumper but I have not verified that actually.

Would be interesting to cross verify part ## for both.

I installed a post face lift JDM front end on my 05 OBXT and kept my USDM hood. Fit was just fine.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2023 at 3:31 PM, pksystems said:

Picked up a JDM dual climate zone center panel with i88 harness and a pioneer head unit off FB marketplace.  I don't plan to use the head unit.  I now need to find a touchscreen to be used with the Clarion backup camera I grabbed from picknpull awhile ago.

PXL_20230924_212750220.jpg

Good to meet you E!

Edit: pulled apart my door panel yesterday to see about fixing the broken door handle. Got all the way to the door handle and couldn't remove it for fear of breaking it (new one isn't here yet for another week). Looks like the piece that connects to the latch rod broke. Lock rod still works. Actuator still works. Interior handle still works.

Edited by lagwagon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was chasing an annoying rattling sound, which I believe triggered the knock sensor at times. Turned out to be due to a seized lower brake caliper pin (the one with the rubber sleeve). This was on the passenger side. I noticed the rattling was going away each time I braked. To confirm, I used a rubber mallet and hit the PS tire at 12 oclock. Sure enough, the brake caliper was rattling. Removed the seized pin, regreased everything. No more rattling (for now). Will probably regrease the remaining brake caliper pins on the car.

Note: apparently, the purpose of the rubber sleeve on the lower pin is anti-rattling.. Problem is they swell over time if using wrong grease I guess, or if water gets in there.

2 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Was chasing an annoying rattling sound, which I believe triggered the knock sensor at times. Turned out to be due to a seized lower brake caliper pin (the one with the rubber sleeve). This was on the passenger side. I noticed the rattling was going away each time I braked. To confirm, I used a rubber mallet and hit the PS tire at 12 oclock. Sure enough, the brake caliper was rattling. Removed the seized pin, regreased everything. No more rattling (for now). Will probably regrease the remaining brake caliper pins on the car.

Note: apparently, the purpose of the rubber sleeve on the lower pin is anti-rattling.. Problem is they swell over time if using wrong grease I guess, or if water gets in there.

You probably already know at this point, but I didn't for the longest time. Nothing but silicon grease on those slide pins, and the bushes shouldn't swell. Or whatever proprietary thing OE wants to sell you.

I bought some years ago, and haven't had that problem since, tho while using 'whatever high temp' grease I had on the shelf, I definitely cut out and threw away a few of those anti-rattle sleeves. Live and learn.

Actually I just learned about it this morning :spin:.

I used some 'sil-glyde' brake grease. So I am guessing it should be good. I think it also does not help that we do some light offroad which involves stream crossing, mud playing and stuff..

Edited by xt2005bonbon
  • Like 1

Finished up some work on a friends car this weekend that I had started two weeks ago.  

So a couple fridays ago we spent the evening installing 4 new speakers in the doors as well as added some dynomat to each of the doors plus Installed the JDM double din kit + his new stereo.

Second day was to run the Amp wires, install the amp and sub, dynomat the rear hatch & install a backup camera.  While we were in there he was complaining of not having any reverse lights, so we fixed the notorious broken wires at the hatch and everything works well now.  But I did most of the work and don't want to do anymore stereo installs for a little while. 

• Haha 2

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

3 hours ago, KZJonny said:

You probably already know at this point, but I didn't for the longest time. Nothing but silicon grease on those slide pins, and the bushes shouldn't swell. Or whatever proprietary thing OE wants to sell you.

I bought some years ago, and haven't had that problem since, tho while using 'whatever high temp' grease I had on the shelf, I definitely cut out and threw away a few of those anti-rattle sleeves. Live and learn.

2 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Actually I just learned about it this morning :spin:.

I used some 'sil-glyde' brake grease. So I am guessing it should be good. I think it also does not help that we do some light offroad which involves stream crossing, mud playing and stuff..

So what is the recommended grease you used? "sil-glyde" or something else? The swollen rubber sleeves are also holding the pin in the caliper, resulting in brake pads uneven wear. I had to trim the sleeves a few times before replacing them with new OEM. I used some high-temp brake pin grease but I do not recall if that was silicone or not.

I use this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005RNEH5O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just 3M Silicon Paste. There seems to be all sorts of analogues out there in a variety of colours, etc... I like it for being *thick* and not having any other addiditives that I was uncertain about, wrt to whether or not they can have any effect on rubber parts. (Ie: the teflon additives in some of the other silicon/ceramic greases) Seems to be unavailable at the moment, but I can't imagine 3M stopped making it. Apparently I orderd my jar over 4 years ago, and I can't be more than 1/4 through it tho... However, that is also coming from someone who keeps 3 different kinds of anti-seize around. 🤪

Sil-Glyde looks like it's a pure silicon grease as well, tho I've never used it, so I can't comment on it specifically.

EDIT: This stuff looks like it has the same consistancy I like in the 3M stuff. Made in America, and the price seems about right. Probably a good substitute.

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Automotive-Dielectric-Silicone-Waterproof/dp/B016E5E59G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3J3RZXJGSCILJ&keywords=3m+silicone+paste&qid=1695754728&sprefix=3m+silicon+paste%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Edited by KZJonny
  • Thanks 2

I love the EDM center console, but the change tray was annoying me and I didn't want to mount the wireless magnetic charger back on the vent.  So I went to the Engineering department and 3D scanned the change tray, then went through several iterations in Fusion360 to fit the wireless magnetic charger I have (plus a 90-degree USB-C adapter). I love the end result and now have a built-in wireless charger that's not too far from factory-looking.

IMG_20230926_064027983_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230926_080754504_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230926_175525611.jpg

IMG_20230926_175537763.jpg

• Like 7

Today received front plate mounting hardware and put the front plate on JDM bumper. RI requires front plates so have to obey.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Infosecdad said:

I love the EDM center console, but the change tray was annoying me and I didn't want to mount the wireless magnetic charger back on the vent.  So I went to the Engineering department and 3D scanned the change tray, then went through several iterations in Fusion360 to fit the wireless magnetic charger I have (plus a 90-degree USB-C adapter). I love the end result and now have a built-in wireless charger that's not too far from factory-looking.

IMG_20230926_064027983_HDR.jpg

I may need to commission one from you when I get my EDM consol installed - I should've taken a look at yours during ECM! Nice to have an engineering department on hand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Heard a loud clunk when opening my sunroof last week. 2-3x. Once it registered, took a few days off of using it out of caution to not have it stuck open. Which made me realize how much I enjoy it. Applied white lithium grease today in abundance, and seems to have smoothed out. Thank the boards again, even omitting the site from search parameters brought up LGT.com results for the correct lube. Nice to have Legacy fam. 

• Like 5