LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

58 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

That's one of the few that I haven't been able to try that I want to.

I don't like the oval tips and there seem to be very few of the round tips for the Legacys so I haven't got my hands on a set yet. I’m 

I’d love to try the prodrive ovals.

I have been running the spt exhaust (killer b header, Cobb catted dp) for a while and really like the subtlety but would love to try another high quality cbe just to see what it’s like. Previously I had a Frankenstein Autospeed cbe w/ borla xr1 that is too loud for my liking. 

• Like 1
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I polished my headlights and installed the JDM kit for a replacement head unit. The hvac module is pretty dim. Anybody else install and think the same thing? If I turn on parking lights or headlights, the display almost disappears during the day it gets so dim. I also have a clicking going on now behind the radio.

Resumed working on converting JDM HID headlights to EDM bi-LED headlights. Mounted driver side bi-led projector and closed the light only to find out that with bi-led projector the clearance between the lens and front garnish is too little for headlight adjustment to work in my judgement. The other unmodified light has about 3 mm clearance and bi-led has 1mm or so.

Tomorrow will work on figuring that problem out.

• Like 2

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Whoops, too much dugga! Guess I should buy replacement hardware before I put these genomes on. And by “buy” I mean take some from the keep-fill bins at work. 

IMG_9778.thumb.jpeg.b18a91356cb51d1ac3f66334e4f41fcf.jpeg

Edited by tehspud
  • Haha 3

Pulled off a bunch of parts to verify I have my catch can's routed correctly.  While searching on net I managed to find this install diagram which is a million times easier to figure out compared to youtube videos.

It just happens that I ran my lines exactly this way, with one difference.  I added a PCV check valve/barb adapter inline (to keep boost out of the catch can/lines) on the green return line before the intake.  I have 2 check valves that both seem to work running inline with one another in the same direction.  Would this cause any issues? 

I've tried replacing the factory PCV check valve with just a barb, but I'm pretty sure that plastic tee is going to explode before I get the oem fitting out.

Catch-Can-Drawing-2048x1325.png

• Thanks 1

Loaded another map revision and did some logging this weekend. It's really starting to feel good. After doing the WOT logs reality set in that I can't baby the brakes anymore and really need to start/finish up the brake upgrade project. The current pads/rotors were very close to needing replaced back when I dropped the car off back in late 2019 before all the upgrades were done.

So I decided to dig out what I have, take inventory, and figure out what I need. Which is rotors/pads along with the STI brake master cylinder & booster but that's about it, I've got everything else in hand. The calipers (S402 fronts for those curious) are going to be sent off for powder coating and re-seal in the next coming weeks and the tbSTI rear backing plates are going to get thoroughly cleaned up as well. I haven't decided on caliper color just yet but I'm leaning towards a classic deep red or something similar to Subaru's rally blue pearl which is a little darker than world rally blue. I'm open to input if anyone has some suggestions. Just no silver, black or highlighter yellow/green.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, NORULZleggy said:

So my 2013 2.5i my wife drive does have the FB25 engine oil burn issue, but I do check it often. I saw this because I decided to check. Is it head gasket? or what, i plan on getting it fixed.

LegMud.jpg

I though the FB oil leak problem was at the cam carriers, and it was external…

Unless that can somehow cause oil and coolant mixing, you’ve got to figure it must be head gaskets….

9 hours ago, DoctorDaveLGT said:

Loaded another map revision and did some logging this weekend. It's really starting to feel good. After doing the WOT logs reality set in that I can't baby the brakes anymore and really need to start/finish up the brake upgrade project. The current pads/rotors were very close to needing replaced back when I dropped the car off back in late 2019 before all the upgrades were done.

So I decided to dig out what I have, take inventory, and figure out what I need. Which is rotors/pads along with the STI brake master cylinder & booster but that's about it, I've got everything else in hand. The calipers (S402 fronts for those curious) are going to be sent off for powder coating and re-seal in the next coming weeks and the tbSTI rear backing plates are going to get thoroughly cleaned up as well. I haven't decided on caliper color just yet but I'm leaning towards a classic deep red or something similar to Subaru's rally blue pearl which is a little darker than world rally blue. I'm open to input if anyone has some suggestions. Just no silver, black or highlighter yellow/green.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I know it’s completely counterintuitive but I went with white powdercoat on my Brembo calipers. They actually stay pretty clean and are easy to clean when they are dirty.

14 hours ago, KZJonny said:

I though the FB oil leak problem was at the cam carriers, and it was external…

Unless that can somehow cause oil and coolant mixing, you’ve got to figure it must be head gaskets….

I know the FB25 had problem from the factory, but never knew it had head gasket problems. I knew about 4 years ago that my buddy at the dealer was dropping in motor often because of SOA was fixing the issues. Going to the shop that build my LGT to get a used FB put if needed. I check the car often and do not remember it looking that bad. Well my LGT will get some more miles, and the T-dog my daily will get some also.

11 hours ago, WRX USA said:

I know it’s completely counterintuitive but I went with white powdercoat on my Brembo calipers. They actually stay pretty clean and are easy to clean when they are dirty.

I’ve have a set of brembos on the shelf with everything needed for a rebuild. They need cleaned up and fresh PC.

Funny, White is my first choice but I’m scared of how dirty they’ll look after some time.  Second and third choice is WRB or Cherry Blossom Red/STI pink.  As boring as I usually am, I bet they end up boring as well.  Maybe hyper silver or matte steel gray to match my wheels.  

• Like 1
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

@WRX USA I did give white some consideration but decided that I do want a pop of some contrasting color. A little surprising regarding how clean they stay. I wouldn't have guessed but that kinda makes sense now that I think about how white cars hide dirt better than other colors.

@Code Let me throw out a color to potentially try and match. Subaru's blue steel mica. A buddy of mine mentioned it and while I'd still like some color, its interesting enough that I'm going to request a sample to see what they can come up with. 

• Like 3

Unfortunately I've seen enough top gear episodes making fun of Richard for buying Porsches with red calipers. Granted my car is black but I couldn't imagine putting red/blue/hyper highlighter calipers on. Will probably stick with silver even over brembo gold. 

But, since this is a white car, I'd go with something like Subaru sapphire blue over can't turn left blue steel or wrb. That dark blue looks decent on M cars... 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Off topic, but WRX USA, did you just get a Rivian truck? Is that what 'R1S' stands for? If yes, did you do a drag race against your Plaid? :spin:

Yes, I got a Rivian R1S which is technically an SUV. It would get scorched by the Plaid.

IMG_5971.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WRX USA said:

Yes, I got a Rivian R1S which is technically an SUV. It would get scorched by the Plaid.

IMG_5971.jpeg

So how are EVs compared to other ICU vehicles you own(ed)? Real life experience, etc.

33 minutes ago, SubOperator said:

So how are EVs compared to other ICU vehicles you own(ed)? Real life experience, etc.

The instant torque on an EV is something that you never get over. I suppose because I’m older, I also appreciate the quietness of the EV regardless of the speed you’re going or how quickly you're accelerating. Charging at home is great and the Tesla is fantastic on a road trip with their Supercharger network. I have yet to road trip the Rivian but I know that the charging infrastructure will be more of an issue (until the adapter to use the Tesla Superchargers is available next Spring). Since I travel with my dog stopping every couple hours for 30 minutes to charge and walk around is something I would have done in an ICE vehicle, albeit probably a shorter walk with the immediate goal of getting back in and going. Dog mode makes leaving my dog in the car a non issue, since the temp is maintained and I can monitor it. Autopilot makes the long drives much easier and I don’t have any neck or shoulder strain.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, WRX USA said:

The instant torque on an EV is something that you never get over. I suppose because I’m older, I also appreciate the quietness of the EV regardless of the speed you’re going or how quickly you're accelerating. Charging at home is great and the Tesla is fantastic on a road trip with their Supercharger network. I have yet to road trip the Rivian but I know that the charging infrastructure will be more of an issue (until the adapter to use the Tesla Superchargers is available next Spring). Since I travel with my dog stopping every couple hours for 30 minutes to charge and walk around is something I would have done in an ICE vehicle, albeit probably a shorter walk with the immediate goal of getting back in and going. Dog mode makes leaving my dog in the car a non issue, since the temp is maintained and I can monitor it. Autopilot makes the long drives much easier and I don’t have any neck or shoulder strain.

Thanks for info. I am thinking about what my next vehicle will be, and something like Rivian SUV looks interesting enough. we like to travel so I am waiting for next breakthrough in battery technology. Looks like by then the charging infrastructure will also improve. Like the fact that Tesla's charging opened up to others and Tesla's connector will be used by others, Finally, unification to benefit all.

• Like 1

While on electric front, I learned last night that Subaru in fact uses positive ground to control the headlights. Wish I checked that *prior* to soldering the wiring inside the first headlight. All corrected now but I lost a night. Duh.