LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

11 hours ago, WRX USA said:

I’m curious about your solution as mine are still not wired up. 

Did you swap in a JDM reservoir and have the 3rd larger pump as well? or still have the stock reservoir?

Mine did come with a relay for the headlight washer, but I will only use it if I run the pump to a separate switch or if I grab a wagon wiper arm stalk and wire it to the rear washer button.  With the easiest option being to wire into the existing front washer pump.  But I will keep you posted on how I do it. 

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

1 hour ago, tysparks81 said:

Did you swap in a JDM reservoir and have the 3rd larger pump as well? or still have the stock reservoir?

Mine did come with a relay for the headlight washer, but I will only use it if I run the pump to a separate switch or if I grab a wagon wiper arm stalk and wire it to the rear washer button.  With the easiest option being to wire into the existing front washer pump.  But I will keep you posted on how I do it. 

I did swap in a JDM reservoir and the 3rd larger pump. I’m pretty sure I bought them new from Partsouq. I installed it in 2016-17, and at the time I wasn’t that adventurous with wiring so I just left it disconnected. 

• Like 1

I ended up doing 230miles of back roads last weekend.  The weather was perfect and the car performed as expected.  I’m going to keep it rolling and take her to Penn State next week for work.  No sense letting her rot away in the garage.  These two weeks will total half of the mileage that she saw last year!

• Like 5
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

On 8/18/2023 at 12:50 PM, amm203 said:

I always breathe a sigh of relief when my usual mechanic passes the subie's PA inspection - he has yet to notice the lack of an air pump. Butler county's inspection requirements are pretty funny; they don't test for emissions but you will fail if they notice the OEM emission equipment appears to be removed or modified.

Do they even know what would be missing on an 08. I been to places with my 04 STI and they had no clue and passed it lol Just said I need wipers haha.

19 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Need to buy yet another rear wheel bearing. Left rear side is screaming! This time, I'll check what Napa has available instead of buying online.

And passenger side CV boot is leaking :mad:. Made a mess as usual. This time, boot was not split. Rather clamp became ever so slightly loose enough to make a mess. Kinna disappointed as it is a Raxle ($$$). Driver side did the same thing 6 months ago.

Call raxels and talk to them I never had an issue and they would want to hear about it, Also check out FAG Wheel bearings, My 06 LGT has these and they have been great.

20 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Need to buy yet another rear wheel bearing. Left rear side is screaming! This time, I'll check what Napa has available instead of buying online.

And passenger side CV boot is leaking :mad:. Made a mess as usual. This time, boot was not split. Rather clamp became ever so slightly loose enough to make a mess. Kinna disappointed as it is a Raxle ($$$). Driver side did the same thing 6 months ago.

I need to correct my above statement. After closer inspection, the passenger side CV boot was actually torn. It was not loose. I just replaced the boot with a genuine Subaru one, which will fail in about a year or two I guess :rolleyes:. I do have a heat shield between it and the DP. I guess it is not enough..

19 minutes ago, NORULZleggy said:

Call raxels and talk to them I never had an issue and they would want to hear about it, Also check out FAG Wheel bearings, My 06 LGT has these and they have been great.

^ I need to check their warranty policy. I put these in March 2022 IIRC. The driver side began leaking a few months later. I was lazy and did not bother emailing them about it. I just removed their clamp and install another one (while adding some fresh grease with a syringe). I did take a few pics though. But I am surprised the passenger side already failed, given I have a heat shield too. But to be fair, it is hot where I live and the car is being pushed quite a lot on long road trips. And we do a lot of these.

20 minutes ago, NORULZleggy said:

Also check out FAG Wheel bearings, My 06 LGT has these and they have been great.

Never heard of this brand. Will check it out. Although, I just went to Napa yesterday to get an SKF wheel bearing. Will install it tonight. I hope this one will last. More road trips coming up. Sick of the humming already:spin:

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Vinny Ten Racing just called to give me an update after dropping off the car yesterday. She's currently on the dyno getting her break-in tune. They had to find the source of a fuel leak which I discovered when I gassed her to 1/3 tank yesterday. It turned out to be missing o-rings when I assembled the fuel pump. That was back when I was pulling all nighters trying to button her up for ECM.

In looking at the before and after photos of the engine bay it doesn't seem like much work was done at all, despite the block being clear coated, P/S pump rebuilt, turbo freshly painted by JmP.

Vehicle Wraps 777 is waiting for the car now and I'm hoping to get in a wash so the vinyl can bond properly. I will also need to remove the Plastidip from roof and waist spoilers and install the Spec B bumpers/sideskirts I got in from Japan.

engine_bay_before.jpg

engine_bay_after.jpg

sprayed_ps_pump.jpg

• Like 6

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

40 minutes ago, Enlight said:

install the Spec B bumpers/sideskirts I got in from Japan.

Dare I ask if this was a single purchase for you, or part of setting up the import thing.

Now that I have seen the JDM/EDM bumpers on a car in person, they are about the only thing I would change about the lines of our wagons. Prices I have seen for bumpers out of Japan are not ridiculous, but the shipping sure is.

Local prices reflect that of course.... and I just can't bring myself to fork over ~$1000 CAD for a plastic bumper.

Car looks awesome by the way. You sandblast the power steering pump or is that silver paint?

24 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Dare I ask if this was a single purchase for you, or part of setting up the import thing.

Now that I have seen the JDM/EDM bumpers on a car in person, they are about the only thing I would change about the lines of our wagons. Prices I have seen for bumpers out of Japan are not ridiculous, but the shipping sure is.

Local prices reflect that of course.... and I just can't bring myself to fork over ~$1000 CAD for a plastic bumper.

Car looks awesome by the way. You sandblast the power steering pump or is that silver paint?

It was vapor honed and then I just sprayed it with Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing spray paint. I didn't have the time or patience to give it the full prime/paint treatment as I did some other components. The bearing is NTN 6203LLU and I got the reseal kit from Power Steering Seals. I took a gamble on them since I didn't see many reviews but can confirm they fit.

As for the bumpers, the JDM lines really do look better. If you're interested in getting them before next year's meet let me know. I ordered these bumpers as I was doing "research" (read: business expense) on some other businesses.

I will let you know when I expect my last container before the meet. I can provide a 50% discount on fees to members of this forum, excluding the hard costs that my partner in Japan charges me. If you use Yahoo Auctions that will amount to 15% of the item cost + 10% of shipping to Japan warehouse + $7.50/sqft of the package size for the container. This does not include duties U.S. customs may or may not impose (I've gotten lucky and never had to pay). This will get the items to NYC.

Mods, I haven't officially launched the service but please let me know if there's anything I need to do to come into full compliance.

• Like 6

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

1 hour ago, Enlight said:

It was vapor honed and then I just sprayed it with Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing spray paint. I didn't have the time or patience to give it the full prime/paint treatment as I did some other components. The bearing is NTN 6203LLU and I got the reseal kit from Power Steering Seals. I took a gamble on them since I didn't see many reviews but can confirm they fit.

As for the bumpers, the JDM lines really do look better. If you're interested in getting them before next year's meet let me know. I ordered these bumpers as I was doing "research" (read: business expense) on some other businesses.

I will let you know when I expect my last container before the meet. I can provide a 50% discount on fees to members of this forum, excluding the hard costs that my partner in Japan charges me. If you use Yahoo Auctions that will amount to 15% of the item cost + 10% of shipping to Japan warehouse + $7.50/sqft of the package size for the container. This does not include duties U.S. customs may or may not impose (I've gotten lucky and never had to pay). This will get the items to NYC.

Mods, I haven't officially launched the service but please let me know if there's anything I need to do to come into full compliance.

you will be getting a pm from me shortly as I have been holding off on placing bids on big things on yahoo auctions, because shipping was in the 1k for fenders bumpers & shocks.  But if you can get them over on a container I would definitely be interested in placing an order for a few big items. 

• Thanks 1

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

since I'm going out of the country for a while, I put my spec b in storage today - and found out that my front left caliper is sticking a bit once we got there, after my dad pointed out a strong burning smell and a very hot front left fender lol. but this is a good thing since it finally gives me a reason to upgrade to brembos when I return :) 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 6:03 PM, xt2005bonbon said:

About 1 to 1.5 hrs job:

-rear car on jack stand

-remove wheel

-loosen 32mm axle nut

-remove abs sensor (10mm bolt)

-disengage parking brake

-remove brake caliper (2x14 mm bolts)

-remove rotor

-remove wheel bearing (4x14 mm bolts). You will probably have to use a hammer and hit it pretty good to separate it from the knuckle.

It is pretty easy really, provided your bolts are not seized. I use antiseize everywhere. So, all my bolts are in good shape. I think this will be my third set of rear wheel bearings. For me, rears are lasting longer than the front.

At current age/mileage of our cars, might as well replace the dustshield plate that doubles as parking brake base. Not a very smart design decision from Subaru tbh. I had left side replaced some time ago, right one is rusted out bad but still holds the parking brake shoes in place. Have new part ready to go on when bearing is replaced.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

7 hours ago, Enlight said:

This sounds interesting,will get in touch for sure.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, SubOperator said:

At current age/mileage of our cars, might as well replace the dustshield plate that doubles as parking brake base. Not a very smart design decision from Subaru tbh. I had left side replaced some time ago, right one is rusted out bad but still holds the parking brake shoes in place. Have new part ready to go on when bearing is replaced.

My plates are actually fine. I guess I am lucky to live in a place where stuff does not really rust.

• Like 1

A friend of mine who is a consultant in the automotive business once told me that there is a secret lifetime warranty on brake backing plates that applies to all cars of all ages.  If the brake backing plate on your Model T rusts out, you can go to Ford and get a new on for free.  I had never heard of this before but it is obvious why manufacturers would insist on making this a secret warranty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, amptramp said:

A friend of mine who is a consultant in the automotive business once told me that there is a secret lifetime warranty on brake backing plates that applies to all cars of all ages.  If the brake backing plate on your Model T rusts out, you can go to Ford and get a new on for free.  I had never heard of this before but it is obvious why manufacturers would insist on making this a secret warranty.

Wish I knew that years ago when older son's 05 OB had one of the parking shoes stuck in the brake drum. Was (not) a lot of fun fixing that when the drum was refusing to come off. Words were said that can't be printed.

Both the parking shoe holding pin and the slot on the plate where the pin goes were basically gone. Welcome to New England and all the salt.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, amptramp said:

I have heard of this before. Does anyone know if there is some kind of law/ruling etc.... that anyone can point to and use as a reference to have a foot to stand on when asking for said brake backing plate(s) for a car?

Perhaps this is US only? Likely, but who knows.

MY OBW has no dust sheilds remaining, and I would take the time to install them if they were not ~$90/each.... (THE backing plate portion of the part is intact, but not the bit that is supposed to surround the rotor.)

Edited by KZJonny

On 8/22/2023 at 1:02 PM, NORULZleggy said:

Do they even know what would be missing on an 08. I been to places with my 04 STI and they had no clue and passed it lol Just said I need wipers haha.

I honestly think he doesn't know. A few years ago I took it to a different shop before finding my current guy. One of the kids working there seemed interested and was asking all kinds of questions about the GT and what I'd done to it (I never mentioned the TGV/air pump deletes of course). He was also the one who spotted the missing air pump and informed his boss leading to a failed inspection - sumbitch

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, amm203 said:

I honestly think he doesn't know. A few years ago I took it to a different shop before finding my current guy. One of the kids working there seemed interested and was asking all kinds of questions about the GT and what I'd done to it (I never mentioned the TGV/air pump deletes of course). He was also the one who spotted the missing air pump and informed his boss leading to a failed inspection - sumbitch

Just tape it back in the car and BAM, you have air pump.How did he even know it was missing? I mean I have never had anyone ask about my engine bay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just picked these up locally on the cheap. Little scuffed on the bottom, but otherwise in good shape. Hoping they’ll give the stock exhaust note just a little more body. 

IMG_9773.thumb.jpeg.05bd36642423b0ee99dc5bd0a553536e.jpeg

Edited by tehspud
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, tehspud said:

What’s your first? 

Ganador Titan Titanium 

Ganador - Racing Titan - Legacy

I've gone through 8-10 different ones, these are the ones on my white wagon for the last couple years. The Genomes and Stromung are also amazing, just in different ways. But, at wde open throttle these sing in a way that I haven't found a comparison for.  Big smiles.  The Genomes are really close in all other categories, it wasn't an easy decision to let one go.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, WRX USA said:

Have you tried Prodrive?

That's one of the few that I haven't been able to try that I want to.

I don't like the oval tips and there seem to be very few of the round tips for the Legacys so I haven't got my hands on a set yet.

13 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

Ganador Titan Titanium 

Ganador - Racing Titan - Legacy

I've gone through 8-10 different ones, these are the ones on my white wagon for the last couple years. The Genomes and Stromung are also amazing, just in different ways. But, at wde open throttle these sing in a way that I haven't found a comparison for.  Big smiles.  The Genomes are really close in all other categories, it wasn't an easy decision to let one go.

I would like permission from you to rock a pair of these 😁, they sounded beautiful at ECM.

• Like 2

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread