LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I’ve been having a hesitation/stutter/stumble during mid-hard acceleration from 3-4k lately. I’m still trying to diagnose it. I pulled the intercooler off last night to check vacuum lines, nothing there but maybe it’s time to change the turbo inlet. 

Almost looks like someone wrapped the stock one with electrical tape? A brittle strip of whatever that is came off as I was poking around. 

IMG_9503.thumb.jpeg.b14c6be10d1a6838299f528cf926f1cf.jpeg

IMG_9496.thumb.jpeg.1cf52dec7d20275f5491cee15e222754.jpeg

6 hours ago, amm203 said:

Yes both catted. Guess it's a no brainer/dumb question. Different cat location + different type of cell setup most likely as well. I'll hold off on the DP and just swap the crappy 140k up.

If you’re paying attention to your data logs I’d say it’s probably fine to swap similar downpipes for daily use. Although I wouldn’t be going full WOT until properly tuned.

Also when removing the downpipe, in my experience always start with the nut underneath. People struggle with it bc they undo all the others first and it puts a lot of weight on that bottom bolt. I’ve learned it’s best to start at the bottom

• Like 2

My sons will be starting on 09 JDM Spec-B front end conversion on my car at end of this week. I will plan on inspecting and rust proofing as much as I can see while this is ongoing.

Will see how much USDM RBP is different from JDM RBP.

• Like 2

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I finally got a chance to pickup my cylinder heads and case halves from the machine shop after they've been done a couple of weeks. New house=busyness. They cleaned it all, tested the heads, resurfaced for me. Hopefully I can start the blueprinting and assembly next week. 

• Like 6

Tomorrow makes 14 years for me and LGT.  She still shines like new.  Just a hair under 57k miles. 

IMG_6902.jpeg

• Like 11
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I think it was last week, but I washed the poor beasty.

Every time I wash the Crosstrek I tell the specB that I'll wash it, but it usually too late and I have to start discombobulating all the wash gear.

But the wild fire ash was a bit much so the specB finally got a decent wash.

SC

• Like 1

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Yesterday was also wash day for the wagon. Haven't done much else but drive and enjoy it despite it's age lately. 

In the back of my mind I'm scheming how to acquire some abs equipment so I can finally wire in the 07 passenger seat. 

I took the mudflaps off again, this time it was an accident. The night before heading up from TX to WA, I backed the car up a curb hastily, and the wheels grabbed the flaps and took them right off. All are intact. And the plastic hardware is too, it just needs to be bent back. I'm glad I did, as I have been toying with the idea of removing them for some time. It looks a little less modest without them (not that I have THAT much tire to show).

899C7EC0-DD3F-4FF1-8E34-7196B65932B8.thumb.jpeg.b0b30130d95851ba44d1095557e60176.jpeg

938F4754-33D7-4681-9460-3DEFAEA86AA4.thumb.jpeg.991b98e52d683195369a657b34d64ffa.jpeg

• Like 5

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Some progress on JDM front end swap, visually it's on, still need to deal with undertray, fender liners and all headlights and fog lights wiring.

Color matches pretty good, same color code 35J on donor as on my car.

Unfortunately fenders are scratched pretty badly, so will have to look for a quick paint job to not let the rust develop.

image.thumb.png.1d765a296faacc040b9a07da66738b51.png

-----

image.thumb.png.1e54b5eda724c10951eff0cfb288428a.png

------

image.thumb.png.f73492b926cb38722d08a23a650dbcde.png

-------

image.png.04312bb661d2c59a828c30973ff8d3d6.png

Edited by SubOperator
  • Like 8

39 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Did you open up the JDM headlights to flip the shields?

Not yet. I plan to swap the JDM HID projectors out for Bi-LED Hella3 modules. Have the parts - Bi-LED projectors themselves, adapter brackets and some pictures from others showing the steps. Bi-LEDs are LHD already so hopefully less work there.

That's the main reason I did not bother with wiring yet. Lights will be coming off the car anyway.

I also want to have the DRL switched to JDM park light, and the turn and running light to be a switchback bulb. I have the adapter harness for switchbacks but have not looked into which bulbs/brands to get.

Any suggestions/experiences are welcome!

Edited by SubOperator
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SubOperator said:

Not yet. I plan to swap the JDM HID projectors out for Bi-LED Hella3 modules. Have the parts - Bi-LED projectors themselves, adapter brackets and some pictures from others showing the steps. Bi-LEDs are LHD already so hopefully less work there.

That's the main reason I did not bother with wiring yet. Lights will be coming off the car anyway.

I also want to have the DRL switched to JDM park light, and the turn and running light to be a switchback bulb. I have the adapter harness for switchbacks but have not looked into which bulbs/brands to get.

Any suggestions/experiences are welcome!

I guess I'd like to know how to turn the DRLs into parking lights as well on my JDM headlights (yet to be installed). I would certainly prefer that aesthetic. I haven't bothered looking yet, so maybe it's already out there for how-tos. 

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Found an old post I made. Are you looking to do something like this?

On 12/16/2018 at 3:26 PM, xt2005bonbon said:

I got these little led bulbs from the Russian source Pyro mentioned earlier. I love it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=271281&d=1543974872

attachment.php?attachmentid=271282&d=1543974914

• Thanks 1

It was all done before I bought my wagon so idk what the trick is, but my DRLs are off and I usually drive with all my parking lights on, the first switch. I’d love my fogs to come on with the parking light switch though.

In my case, my DRL module is also disconnected, and I taped into a fuse, from the engine bay fuse box, to get the LEDs (shown on the above picture) to stay on while the ignition is on.

These little suckers are pretty good quality: 5 years of use and still going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Found an old post I made. Are you looking to do something like this?

Yes exactly. Unfortunately getting things from Russia is not as easy as it used to be. May have to look for alternatives. Which sucks since aftermarket knowledge and experience there is huge, in fact the Bi-LEDs were pointed to me by people from Moscow Subaru community.

I am curious as to how the DRL module will behave if I manage to connect it correctly. All there is to it is basically higher ground voltage that allows some current to flow through low beam when the DRL mode is ON. Similar to how dimming works in our cars - positive is constant 12V, negative is floating ground anywhere from 0 to 12V. That difference makes the lights dim to different levels. Our DRL works the same, just with fixed ground voltage.

5 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

All bank transactions to Russia are now blocked which means none of US credit cards work like they did in the past. Also there is now no postal services between US and Russia so even if I managed to provide payment somehow, the company can not ship to US.

Those EDM 2DIN panels I was selling recently I obtained from Russia with occasion - one relative in Russia paid for them, and another brought them to me from Russia. Compare that with how I got the first one - bought on Ebay, got it delivered 5 days later. Oh well.

I'll talk to them tomorrow, looks like they have channel in WhatsApp.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SubOperator said:

All bank transactions to Russia are now blocked which means none of US credit cards work like they did in the past. Also there is now no postal services between US and Russia so even if I managed to provide payment somehow, the company can not ship to US.

Those EDM 2DIN panels I was selling recently I obtained from Russia with occasion - one relative in Russia paid for them, and another brought them to me from Russia. Compare that with how I got the first one - bought on Ebay, got it delivered 5 days later. Oh well.

I’d be interested in one of those EDM 2 DIN panels, if you can get it. My EDM dash trim likes to fall off, because of the ill fitting JDM 2 DIN. Makes the car feel really cheap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SubOperator said:

That's too bad man. I hope this will get resolved soon..

• Thanks 1

That conflict has so far impacted me in zero way, not even holding up my legacy radio situation. But ugh man that stuff has hit people in the worst ways. Also hope it's resolved. 

In today's first world 4th gen legacy problems, I rain-x'd my windshield for the 2nd time since having it installed in January. The inside of this windshield has been particularly funky. Invisible glass ( I know) hasn't done anything to keep the inside clean longer than a week. Even wiping it with the blue shop paper towels makes it cleaner right now.

What do you guys use to treat the inside of your windshields? 

5 hours ago, seanyb505 said:

That conflict has so far impacted me in zero way, not even holding up my legacy radio situation. But ugh man that stuff has hit people in the worst ways. Also hope it's resolved. 

In today's first world 4th gen legacy problems, I rain-x'd my windshield for the 2nd time since having it installed in January. The inside of this windshield has been particularly funky. Invisible glass ( I know) hasn't done anything to keep the inside clean longer than a week. Even wiping it with the blue shop paper towels makes it cleaner right now.

What do you guys use to treat the inside of your windshields? 

I have been struggling with the exact same thing with the inside pf my windshield. I was getting results with InvisiGlass or Griot's products. I just stopped using products three weeks ago, and wiping with the softest of microfibers. I'm unsure of what to do, as nothing is lasting more than a week!

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Did you guys check your cabin air filter? I clean the inside may be every other month using microfiber towels and InvisiGlass, it seems to be enough to keep it clean. I also drive most of time with recirc open so cabin pulls fresh air from outside. I know some people prefer to have recirc door closed.

The outside of windshield is another story, couple of times a year I take the paper towel roll, spray bottle with some alcohol and go to town spraying and wiping it clean. These includes cleaning the wipers themselves - try running paper towel wet with alcohol over the rubber edge of the wiper and you'll be amazed how much crud there is.

Edited by SubOperator
  • Thanks 1