LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I am suffering from a mushy brake pedal feel on the 05. Recently bled the system (was mushy before bleeding too), and added the Grimmspeed bracket. No change in feel. Requires a lot of pedal travel to brake. The 06 does not behave like that. Assuming bleeding was done correctly, what could cause this?

Well I was bored and ordered all my parts for my Brembo Swap. I have the Black STI logo calipers. If you want to know what it takes here it is.

2006 LGT Limited 5MT

BL/BP Brembo swap:

KNS Caliper Bracket V1.1 - Brembo Kit LGT (Purchased)

KNS parking Rear Adapter shoes - For Legacy GT to fit 5x100 2004 STI rotor (Purchased)

KNS Braided Line STI swap lines (Purchased Last year)

Amsoil Fluid

Front:
08+ STI front calipers will bolt with bracket (Purchased last year)

04 STI 5x100 Rotor:
Part #: dba654S-10 DBA 02-09 Subaru WRX STi 10 Stud Hole Front Slotted Street Series Rotor (Purchased)

Pad:
hawkHB453B.585 5.0 (Purchased) 

Rear:
08+ STI front calipers will bolt with adapters (Purchased last year)

P#: dba655S-10 DBA 02-09 Subaru WRX / 02-07 STi 10 Stud Hole Rear Slotted Street Series Rotor (Purchased)

Part #: sto105.09610 PosiQuiet Subaru Rear Ceramic Brake Pads (Purchased)

I been saving since last year so I can pay cash for this all. I just been lazy on getting the parts. the Shop that built my car will be doing it. I just do not have time with little kids, soccer, swimming and so on lol. Can't wait to get them on. 

I went all out and wanted the right stuff so it would go smooth. I researched for like 7 months also. My car is by no means fast, but when I get going in third gear, the brakes do not like to slow it down.

Edited by NORULZleggy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xt2005bonbon said:

I am suffering from a mushy brake pedal feel on the 05. Recently bled the system (was mushy before bleeding too), and added the Grimmspeed bracket. No change in feel. Requires a lot of pedal travel to brake. The 06 does not behave like that. Assuming bleeding was done correctly, what could cause this?

Did you use a pressure bleeder or just the pump the brake pedal to bleed them ?

You can search google for "mushy brake pedal"  I think there are some simple test you can do.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You needed a bracket for the front? My Brembo's bolted to the LGT knuckle with no problem. I used the 5x100 STI rotors with Hawk pads as well. 

I only needed adapters for the rears. i used the Black 2008+ calipers for the fronts, and the gold calipers (repainted) for the rears. 

17 hours ago, socalsleeper said:

You needed a bracket for the front? My Brembo's bolted to the LGT knuckle with no problem. I used the 5x100 STI rotors with Hawk pads as well. 

I only needed adapters for the rears. i used the Black 2008+ calipers for the fronts, and the gold calipers (repainted) for the rears. 

Oh no the brackets are for the rear only. I might have written that wrong. I got a full set of black STI calipers for nothing. I want them matching and do not really want to repaint. they are in great conditions. How do you like your swap? I am not looking to track that car, just want it to slow down better. My 04 STI brakes I loved.

20 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

The pump the brake method. Still though, used the same method on both cars but one is way mushier than the other. Same stop tech pads on both cars. Same type of fluid/brand. Only differs with rotor type.

A few years back, I bought a Motive Pressure Bleeder. Model 0107 it had the three prong cap for Subaru. I bought the flat top for my 86' F150. Last Fall, I used it to bleed the brakes on four different cars.

DSCN9626.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Started removing the rest of engine bay rubber fuel lines.  That bottom quick release fitting is a pain to get to unclip.    Interesting how Subaru thought this clip was required here, but ~4" away they started with the parade of hose clamps that leak vapours every winter.

After 20min I finally got it off and installed Redhorse Performance AN-6 adapter with locking nut.

PXL_20230319_021626825.jpg

Edited by pksystems
  • Like 2

Started the car after about 3 weeks of sitting. No noise and normal warm up. Got rid of my Cavalier and upgraded my DD to a 13 SXT AWD Charger. Been driving it alot lately vs. the LGT. I do miss rowing a 6mt, but being in a larger cushy car feels good lately. I guess im getting old.. probably gonna drive it next weekend, give it a thorough cleaning. 

*EDIT* Went to take it off again, and probably put enough pressure in just the right spot to have it fall into place. Still don’t think the rubber grommet for the brake and sprayer lines is in place, but that’s something to work on later. 

Wing is on:

D35C81E7-D1B5-4F3B-9670-8FA5857F352D.thumb.jpeg.398e5f2a60942bbdf289377cc87ad1a5.jpeg

612E7D15-4005-46F3-893C-87C18C2BC7EA.thumb.jpeg.2991a3d798dc7488a4d09cf53c548d01.jpeg

Trying to get my madrig wing on today. An I missing something about the stud alignment? I can get two through, and that’s about it. 

Edited by tehspud
Fixed my problem
  • Like 4

Decided to do something physical to keep from going mad with all my other work.

Replaced my headlights with a set of JDM lights and wiring harness for lights and leveler from https://www.legacyoddsnends.com/.

Took me a couple days because I'm limited in how much I can do in a day. But it's all working now.

I love the headlight leveling dial and watching the lights adjust for each level. 

Can't wait to test it out at night.

IMG_9811.thumb.jpg.d5f91034dc18e729d50efedc5d7c1757.jpg

Front end pulled to remove the old lights.

Kinda forgot how relatively easy it is to get into the front end.

IMG_9812.thumb.jpg.79df0cd92374ff6390a933457c030f64.jpg

Too much crap in my garage, not much space to walk around.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Infosecdad said:

Replaced my headlights with a set of JDM lights and wiring harness for lights and leveler from https://www.legacyoddsnends.com/.

Took me a couple days because I'm limited in how much I can do in a day. But it's all working now.

I love the headlight leveling dial and watching the lights adjust for each level. 

I see you kept your usdm bumper beam and trimmed it a little for your jdm bumper. Might have to do that..

• Like 1

Replaced my front swaybar bushings as I had a clunk and they were looking a little shredded.  Pretty simple job and new ones (Energy Suspension 21mm) went in just fine.  But I still have the clunk.

Also put in a new upstream O2 sensor.  Or, as my Subaru mechanic buddy informed me, it's actually referred to as the "FA sensor" in the shop as it's primary purpose is to measure the after-combustion fuel-air evidence.  Makes sense.  Noticed a wonky slow/over-correcting FA correction and O2 sensor readings in a log in trying to figure out why my Learning 1 mixes were high (not scary high like before, but higher than it should be after a long-term learning), along with a uneven/'bouncy' power after shifting when giving it beans.  Seems like it drives smoother now, I'll let it settle and do another LearningView and tests to see if it worked.

Also new headlight assemblies coming in (nothing fancy).  Originals are starting to yellow/haze from the inside.

22 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

^ The clunk could be one of your shocks top hat. I have a clunk and need to check my top hats.

That's what they're called!  Yeah, I'll probably see about those.  The struts still seem fine, and it's not a super annoying noise, but it's one of the few things that's making my car feel old.  I mean, it's 15 years old, but I don't need it to remind me all the time, haha.

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2023 at 4:02 PM, Infosecdad said:

Did you initially encounter any fitment issue between your JDM bumper and the USDM headlight metal brackets?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Did you initially encounter any fitment issue between your JDM bumper and the USDM headlight metal brackets?

Yes I did, that's why I have a set of JDM headlight brackets now.

The location of the tabs is different if I remember correctly.

USDM kinda works, but JDM brackets are much better with a JDM bumper.

• Thanks 1

Replaced the battery tonight. The car had to live outside during a cold snap earlier this winter and I noticed much slower cranking those weeks. The last two days living in the garage were slow too. It was a Walmart gold battery, lasted just over 5 years. $120 later and there's another one in it's place. I hate repair work that doesn't improve the actual driving experience lol

On 3/17/2023 at 10:54 AM, NORULZleggy said:

Oh no the brackets are for the rear only. I might have written that wrong. I got a full set of black STI calipers for nothing. I want them matching and do not really want to repaint. they are in great conditions. How do you like your swap? I am not looking to track that car, just want it to slow down better. My 04 STI brakes I loved.

I did a full brembo swap on my car a few years ago.  My understanding is they don't help you stop faster, but they are better at not heating up and fading.  I could be totally wrong.

I know you're asking someone else but i'm throwing this out there for anyone.  I love the brembos.  they look so much better than stock and when someone knows they're not stock they generally comment or give you a thumbs up or whatever.  Plus they look badass. 

The swap was easy, other than the rears where I did have to grind away a little metal in order to get the bolt for the bracket to fit.  Was easy enough.  I believe it was Avenged Media who did a good video on swapping to brembo's on his LGT wagon many years ago.

If i'm wrong and they do help you stop faster, then that's just a bonus.  

• Like 3