LegacyGT.com

Beer Snob Thread - Volume 2

jasejase

Man I remember my first Guinness, I thought it was so thick that you could nearly chew on it. But after many years of beering, its on the lighter end for me. Pleides if you want to start out with something that doesnt punch you in the face or feel too heavy, a helles or marzen would be good. Edited by Zee199969

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Portland guy and have never had "good" beer. Every beer I've had - to me - tastes like alcoholic foot fungus, but I haven't done a deep dive to see what I like. Where can I go to try some good beer (with COVID in mind) or what can I try that might appeal to someone who prefers cocktail-ish stuff over straight drinks?

I have friends that make road trips from the Seattle Area just to get their beer. They have great IPA's, Stouts and Sours. I would suggest getting some tasters there to find out what kind of beer you really like.

Great Notion Brewing CO

2444 NW 28th Ave

Portland, OR 97210

Mon

• 12:00 PM - 7:00 PM

Tue

Wed

Thu

Fri

Closed now Sat

Sun

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Yeah man, the PNW is a good spot for beer, so you will be overwhelmed. At a brewery, having a sample or a flight is a great way to see what general kind of beer you may like... And remember, if you hate something, don't give up on necessarily. You may love another version or brewery's rendering of that beer. There are thousands and thousands of ipa's. I surely don't love them all. Not to mention, after you try even the same beer a few times, you may grow accustomed to it.

As you start sampling, IPAs in particular, make note of the hops used so you can identify those whose flavors you like best. Read up on the beer making processes and the different types thereof. Enjoy your journey!

I have friends that make road trips from the Seattle Area just to get their beer. They have great IPA's, Stouts and Sours. I would suggest getting some tasters there to find out what kind of beer you really like.

Great Notion Brewing CO

2444 NW 28th Ave

Portland, OR 97210

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thu

Fri

Closed now Sat

Sun

Good gateway brewery, but most of their stuff is definitely on the sweeter side so he may not like that.

Check out Breakside for well executed styles across the board. Also, you can go to beer places that are currently open in PDX like Beer Mongers, Tiny Bubble Room, etc. to try different beers from all over to find what you like.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Looking forward to trying Tang by trapdoor, also picked up the new Revision and a sixer of the regular Buoy IPA
Tang is pretty darn good. Trap Door has two other Hazy options that are also good: Glowed Up and Blown Up (triple ipa version of glowed up). The Havana Coffee Stout was tasty too. If you didn't notice, I'm a frequent flyer there, lol.

Another brewery that I really enjoy in Vancouver is Ghostrunner's. They have really good reds, killer stouts and are one of the only breweries around me that has some form of Belgian ale. They typically do west coast ipas but do have a couple of new england styles. Unfortunately they don't really distribute so you have to get 16 oz cans at the brewery.

Tang is pretty darn good. Trap Door has two other Hazy options that are also good: Glowed Up and Blown Up (triple ipa version of glowed up). The Havana Coffee Stout was tasty too. If you didn't notice, I'm a frequent flyer there, lol.

Another brewery that I really enjoy in Vancouver is Ghostrunner's. They have really good reds, killer stouts and are one of the only breweries around me that has some form of Belgian ale. They typically do west coast ipas but do have a couple of new england styles. Unfortunately they don't really distribute so you have to get 16 oz cans at the brewery.

Go check out Brothers Cascadia for one of the top breweries on the north bank.

Go check out Brothers Cascadia for one of the top breweries on the north bank.
Yes. Can't forget Brothers Cascadia or Fortside for that matter.

Seriously, Southwest WA has some awesome brewery options. It's tough to go to a brewery and not find good beer (at least 1).

Edit: I'm looking forward to the Grains of Wrath/Backwoods collab!

Edited by rhino6303

• 2 weeks later...
The Grains of Wrath Dive Bar Lager was really good. I like how they didn’t try to reinvent the wheel, instead they just made a darn fine classic tasting Lager

I took a trip down to heathen to pick up dinner to go and a 4 pack of quattlebomb hazy ipa. While in Vancouver I decided to go to Loowit as well and picked up the Quetzalcoatl mexican style hot chocolate stout. While there I saw they still had some of their holy d'hiver bgian strong ale! As you've seen I've been looking for a local belgian ale and was very pleased to get one.

The quetzalcoatl tastes like a mexican/mayan mocha and is pretty darn good. The belgian strong tastes like...a belgian strong as it should.

• 2 weeks later...
Had the Toppling Goliath Pseudo Sue, pretty darn good beer. The Adroit Theory triple IPA was also very good.

Named after our dinosaur; Sue! Who was named after the woman that found Sue!

Pseudo Sue, named after the Field Museum's tyrannosaurus skeleton Sue, was a nod to Clark Lewey's love for the museum, history and dinosaurs. When representatives from the museum found the beer, they decided to partner with Toppling Goliath to make it the signature brew of the Field Museum cafe

https://www.fieldmuseum.org/blog/sue-t-rex

SUE’s sex is unknown; this T. rex is named for Sue Hendrickson, who discovered the dinosaur in 1990 during a commercial excavation trip north of Faith, South Dakota.

Heading to the beach for the weekend, finally getting a change of scenery. Might go down to Astoria for Valentines if anything is open. If not there is a brew pub around the corner that fills growlers and has good takeout where I'm staying (in WA). I will stop buy Ft George and Buoy if I do, maybe Rogue too. Edited by DickDastardly00

Had this double imperial Red Ale called Graveyards of the Pacific from North Jetty Brewing Company- 10.4%

It just might be the smoothest Red Ale I've ever had. I like their Ledbetter scotch Ale alot. Had one in 2018, but this one is even better.

20210215_160406.thumb.jpg.2f6ef0c12b91029ba0a0b8b9243e44d2.jpg

Had this double imperial Red Ale called Graveyards of the Pacific from North Jetty Brewing Company- 10.4%

It just might be the smoothest Red Ale I've ever had. I like their Ledbetter scotch Ale alot. Had one in 2018, but this one is even better.

Erik & Michelle are amazing people and their brewery puts out some great beer! Graveyard is a great red!

• 3 weeks later...

Any new good beers/ collabs out?

I've been looking for Tropic fog from Abomination but no luck so far, I heard it's really damn good.

Had the new Skies of Wonder from Ft George, it was great, looking forward to their new Fields of Green which should be out soon.

Edit

Found Tropic Fog, also picked up Kitty has Claws from Revision and some others.

Edited by DickDastardly00

Hey y’all, I asked a couple months ago about good places to try beer in my area (Portland) and y’all suggested Great Notion. I’ll be heading there tomorrow with a friend to check it out.

I tried a chocolate milk stout last night. I think that’s the only beer item I’ve ever had in anything but a light sip, and my previous experiences were with cheap beer that I hated. This was better, however I’m not sure why, the drink left me extremely nauseous and did not agree with me. Is a beer sensitivity common, the combination of beer and dairy lethal, or what? The expiration date on the can was months out, so I don’t think it was that.

If y’all have any recommendations for a Great Brewery drink tomorrow, do let me know. I’m thinking something fruity.

Do you have lactose issues? Any food sensitivities?

Sometimes things just don't agree with you. Especially when a robust or new flavor. May be different if you try it again. Ymmv.

Do you have lactose issues? Any food sensitivities?

Sometimes things just don't agree with you. Especially when a robust or new flavor. May be different if you try it again. Ymmv.

Never had issues with dairy. Would be hard to try again after feeling like that :lol: