LegacyGT.com

Beer Snob Thread - Volume 2

jasejase

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dammit, every time I try to give him more beer than he gives me, he finds a a way to 1up me.

Pseudo Sue, hopsmack, and King Sue are the Toppling Goliath beers, plus he gave me stuff from Ruse, Barrier, Anchorage brewing and more.

I gave him a bunch of Narrows beers, GoW Dystopia, EGA and more

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Had lots of double imperial IPAs with pineapple lately, but the Toppling Goliath - Hop Smack is probably the best one, Anchorage's I Like You was really good too

Backwoods?

Great. Now I crave sugar coated cigars.

Vancouver Portland scene has ridiculous good breweries. I have a Great Notion - Juice-Juice in the fridge right now. Backwoods is legit, had their Outer My Space Hazy recently and it was great

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a Portland guy and have never had "good" beer. Every beer I've had - to me - tastes like alcoholic foot fungus, but I haven't done a deep dive to see what I like. Where can I go to try some good beer (with COVID in mind) or what can I try that might appeal to someone who prefers cocktail-ish stuff over straight drinks?

Need some more info. What kind of beer do you enjoy the most? What's your favorite cocktail?

There are some VERY clever and interesting beers out there now. If I knew you better id offer to send you some sours that would revolutionize your point of view on beer. They're like ******* smoothies. :lol:

Need some more info. What kind of beer do you enjoy the most? What's your favorite cocktail?

There are some VERY clever and interesting beers out there now. If I knew you better id offer to send you some sours that would revolutionize your point of view on beer. They're like ******* smoothies. :lol:

I have, as far as I can tell, only had cheap beer, but again, my knowledge is limited. Only been of drinking age for a little under a year and well... given the world situation, not too many opportunities to try any!

I've liked coffee liqueur-based cocktails a lot recently, especially a white russian. My dad gave me a bit of gin and tonic, and I did like that. I don't like sickly sweet stuff. My friends and I have gotten a little creative with stuff around the house. I liked everything we threw at whiskey.

Have you had any stouts?

Diving into craft beer can be very intense. There are many flavors. You can have 5 different beers that are... Lagers (insert any type here), and they will all taste drastically different.

With mass produced beer, the differences aren't as pronounced.

You like gin and tonic... What kind of gin? If you don't know, did it taste like a Christmas tree? Lol. If so, you may enjoy some ipa's that have a pine forward taste.

Craft beer is all about exercising your taste buds. What you hate today, you could grow to love after more exposure.

Edited by jasejase

Have you had any stouts?

Diving into craft beer can be very intense. There are many flavors. You can have 5 different beers that are... Lagers (insert any type here), and they will all taste drastically different.

With mass produced beer, the differences aren't as pronounced.

You like gin and tonic... What kind of gin? If you don't know, did it taste like a Christmas tree? Lol. If so, you may enjoy some ipa's that have a pine forward taste.

Craft beer is all about exercising your taste buds. What you hate today, you could grow to love after more exposure.

Mine did taste like a tree! I enjoyed it, I'd say.

Yeah, I kinda figure my tastes will change, but for now I'd at least like a good point to start with something that others with more experience generally recommend. I know it's very personal though, with each person's preferences and whatnot.

Just keep at it if you want to... Try new things. I know people that didn't leave Miller lite till SEVERAL encounters with real beer. Double your age.

Refine your tastes. Try crafts. Don't be afraid of hating it. Split beers with friends where you can. That lowers your investment exposure. And if you hate something, try it again.

There's no secret beer that you'll love.

A relatively mass produced, easy to find piney ipa out your way would be stone ipa. There are better, but ease into it! Don't be afraid to ask the clerk at the beer place too.

Holy smokes, I can't imagine trying to navigate the spectrum of beers available today.

I remember my first beer was a Molson Golden given to me at 15 after a long hot day of construction work by my older co-workers. It was wonderful!

In the early 80's we discovered the "world tour of beers" starting to take hold at several restaurants. One of my favorites then and still are hefe weitzens. Great fruity flavors and lighter in alcohol, generally. Might be a good, lighter start, as you develop (maybe) your preferences. Today, I love IPAs, the more dense and powerful flavor the better (bitter!)...enjoy your path of discovery. No shortage of info on sites like

https://www.beeradvocate.com/

Jumping into big flavors, like high abv beers, IPA's, etc is always tough. Not to sound clichéd, but it's often an acquired taste. But once acquired.... :lol:

My first go to beer was Guinness. It's not nearly as heavy and overbearing as it appears. I still love a Guinness, and I still classify it as a session beer! low ABV, low calories. Smooth as all hell.

:lol:

Guinness isn't bad. It will always have a place in my heart. It's about 3X the cost of bud too, so it must be better :)

Sometimes, I don't want a super complex beer. On a low and slow kinda day where you're in it for the long haul..... :lol: