LegacyGT.com

Massachusetts people.. need input

So, I'm due for my inspection next month. Check engine light is on the cat.. I have a catted downpipe to put on and will have to flash stage 2 from my AP.

My question is, how will this effect the readiness monitors in the ECU? Does the map remove the P0420 code because of the aftermarket DP?

Scotty

05 OBP LGT. Minor stuff done..

I don't believe you'll pass with the sensors disabled.

Anyway, your car may be getting close to be exempt from emission inspection in MA (15 years since the data of manufacture).

The 15 year rule still applies in the new system that just rolled out. I know the system still looks for readiness monitors and actually actuates stuff like EGR valves and AIR injection solenoids. I was just unsure on what the OTS maps do. I did pass last last year on a OTS S1 map with only the catalyst monitor not ready...

Scotty

I assume your downpipe is catless. If you have aftermarket mufflers you are going to have problems passing MA inspection due to exhaust noise levels. MA law states that you cannot increase the exhaust noise levels over OEM exhaust level. This requirement doesn’t go away after 15 years exemption for emissions which your car isn’t exempt yet.

I assume your downpipe is catless. If you have aftermarket mufflers you are going to have problems passing MA inspection due to exhaust noise levels. MA law states that you cannot increase the exhaust noise levels over OEM exhaust level. This requirement doesn’t go away after 15 years exemption for emissions which your car isn’t exempt yet.
No... its catted. I'm all for noise and all, but its gotta look "legal". I have a couple places that will pass me regardless, however they can't get by the computer part, hence the question..

Scotty

Oh here I did some searching.

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

That the front O2 go buy a Denzo and replace it.

Complete list is here,

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/trouble-codes-cels-26113.html

Look here to find the correct Denzo part number.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

Oh wait, I have it written down in my little pocket note book I keep for all maintenance on the cars.

DENZO 234-9120.

I told another member that last week.

I have replaced one or two that were about 18 month's old because they went bad.

READ THE STICKY'S. Lot's of part numbers there that we recommend for these cars.

After you pass emissions then do the DP and flash stage 2.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oh here I did some searching.

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

That the front O2 go buy a Denzo and replace it.

Complete list is here,

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/trouble-codes-cels-26113.html

Look here to find the correct Denzo part number.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

Oh wait, I have it written down in my little pocket note book I keep for all maintenance on the cars.

DENZO 234-9120.

I told another member that last week.

I have replaced one or two that were about 18 month's old because they went bad.

READ THE STICKY'S. Lot's of part numbers there that we recommend for these cars.

After you pass emissions then do the DP and flash stage 2.

I thought that would be for the rear O2???

The front doesn't even see the cats.

Scotty

The rear o2 sensor looks for the un-burnt fuel after the cat. The front o2 sensor can receive input from the rear o2 when the car runs too rich. after the front o2 makes adjustments (based on fuel maps within the ECU) if there is still un-burnt fuel present the rear o2 will throw the P0420. Most people start with oh no the Cat is done. This may be true, but you can try some cheaper things first like front o2 sensor. There is a chance that the front o2 sensor is not able to make the correct adjustments (failing sensor) and that is why you are seeing the code.

The rear o2 sensor looks for the un-burnt fuel after the cat. The front o2 sensor can receive input from the rear o2 when the car runs too rich. after the front o2 makes adjustments (based on fuel maps within the ECU) if there is still un-burnt fuel present the rear o2 will throw the P0420. Most people start with oh no the Cat is done. This may be true, but you can try some cheaper things first like front o2 sensor. There is a chance that the front o2 sensor is not able to make the correct adjustments (failing sensor) and that is why you are seeing the code.
I see what your saying.. looks like I'll have to use the scan tool at work and watch the real time values. Then again I may reset the ECM do my drive cycles and hope the readiness monitors all reset and pass...

Scotty

Did exactly that, everything seems to be reading normally. Reset the ecu, did my drive cycles and passed! Thankfully next year no more emissions tests!

Scotty

It actually is 2021 that your 2005 will be exempt. It is vehicle older than 15 years based on the production model year. 2003 are exempt this year.

It actually is 2021 that your 2005 will be exempt. It is vehicle older than 15 years based on the production model year. 2003 are exempt this year.
Funny... I had a 96 Grand Prix that went exempt exactly 15 years later, I.E. 2011

Scotty

Ugh, that's annoying, but you might be right. My 2002 Suzuki I got rid off recently wasn't tested for emissions in 2018 for sure, I thought it was 2017, but maybe not.

Btw, the stupid state does not seem it fit to lower the price of vehicles that are exempt from emission testing. Same goes for EVs. Bought a brand new BMW i3 recently and had to get "safety" inspection done. What a ******* racket.

Ugh, that's annoying, but you might be right. My 2002 Suzuki I got rid off recently wasn't tested for emissions in 2018 for sure, I thought it was 2017, but maybe not.

Btw, the stupid state does not seem it fit to lower the price of vehicles that are exempt from emission testing. Same goes for EVs. Bought a brand new BMW i3 recently and had to get "safety" inspection done. What a ******* racket.

Common sense would dictate that, however as we live in Taxachusetts, the powers at be need more money... besides if everyone knew driving an older car meant no emissions testing, how many people would stop buying new cars?

Only if everyone saw how this state is run... then again atleast it ain't RI or CT.......

Scotty

Disabling the code won't fail your emissions test. My LGT had the code disabled for all of its inspections. Disabling the codes doesn't change the readiness monitors, it's a completely separate thing.
This! This was the answer I was looking for! Thank you sir!!!

Scotty

Funny... I had a 96 Grand Prix that went exempt exactly 15 years later, I.E. 2011

Scotty

That was a different emission law that excluded ODB I vehicles, it is coincidence that it was 15 years for that laws and it does not apply to the current emission testing.

I went to state website and was looking at the current emission laws, 2003 is exclude this years for tail pipe emissions. If I reading it correctly 2005 and up vehicle will still need to pass an ODB on-board testing for the foreseeable future. (I am not emission expert, but that is how read the rules.)

The initial premise of the MA safety inspection costing the same as emission testing was for the emission station's benefit. When the state went to dyno emission testing, the emission testing was only tested every other year, safety inspections were part of the inspection every year. It gave the emission stations a less time consuming test so they could make more money doing inspections to help the out with their investment in the dyno equipment.

There is no tail pipe testing. It's all OBD2 plug in. No dyno testing. 2004 should be included, then again I haven't seen the website and who knows when it was last updated. When this new system rolled out, one if the first questions my old boss asked was about that 15 year rule. Still in effect he was told. Either way, I got the answer I was looking for and am able to move on with plans!

Scotty

I did think it was odd about tailpipe emissions as I don’t remember that being checked. Their was no moving 15 year rule before, it happened to be coincidence. The cut off was ODBI diagnostics.
My 96 was OBD2.. either way, we'll find out sooner or later!

Scotty

Archived