LegacyGT.com

How do we set up a group buy? Digital boost gauge

yamie700

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd really like a gauge, but this seems like there are several things not being answered well. The big question I believe a lot of people want to know is after spending $60 on the boost gauge, what else is needed for the install?? Is everything included?

Working on the 2 install kits (vac-boost & oil pressure), but I need to know the specifics for this vehicle, so I can get proper prices. My intention is to have someone run over to a few local auto stores and pick up the various pieces (as we do with installations occassionally).

The vac-boost install kit should be approx $7, which includes vac tubing, a barbed tee-fitting, an inline barbed vac connector, some wires, wiring connectors, heatshrink tubing and tie-wraps. Still need to know the tee-fitting size though.

For the oil pressure, if it were an extension hose with fittings as shown in the photo above (NPT- male, braided hose, NPT male, inline-coupler, BSP-to-NPT adapter (in case the fitting on the vehicle is BSP), clamps, etc), then expect ~$30. But is the tee fitting required, etc?

Still need some answers to those questions above. So hoping someone who who has done this before will chime in and shed some light.

Cheers,

-Neil.

I recieved a PM from Yamie700 about oil pressure gauge install and he asked me to post (on this thread) on the installation of the oil pressure sensor! I'm not sure if my gauges are similar to the ones this group buy is for... I don't have much time right now to read through the thread... But for my installation I used the oil gallery location. The oil gallery plug can easily be removed and a subaru part (not sure of # now, but I have all info at home) was used to to insert a pressure sensor directly into the block at the oil gallery location. Please let me know how I can help further, now that I'm subscribed to this thread, I'll have a chance to read over it and check to see the gauges and how similar they might be to the Defis I have plenty of experience installing. I have pictures and other things that could help, but they are all at home...!

I recieved a PM from Yamie700 about oil pressure gauge install and he asked me to post (on this thread) on the installation of the oil pressure sensor! I'm not sure if my gauges are similar to the ones this group buy is for... I don't have much time right now to read through the thread... But for my installation I used the oil gallery location. The oil gallery plug can easily be removed and a subaru part (not sure of # now, but I have all info at home) was used to to insert a pressure sensor directly into the block at the oil gallery location. Please let me know how I can help further, now that I'm subscribed to this thread, I'll have a chance to read over it and check to see the gauges and how similar they might be to the Defis I have plenty of experience installing. I have pictures and other things that could help, but they are all at home...!

Thank you for posting. I am one of the few that is interested in a oil pressure gauge "WRX Kit Link" , but I am not sure what it will entail. I posted a pic of the kit for the WRX but I am not sure if that is the same one that is needed. I think there is a part number for a sbaru part floating somewhere in the site but not sure. Once I know how the install is accomplished I should be able to get on the group buy for both a boost and oil pressure gauge.

X

---

Guest *Jedimaster*
OK guys- let's get some more people signed up- we have only until this Friday then I'm finalizing the deal and posting the payment instructions.

Jedi, what was the size of the T fitting you used to install your autometer boost gauge? Also what was the size of the vac tubing itself? Neil needs to know these sizes for the installation kits.

Sportwagon, if you can answer any of these questions regarding the oil pressure installation that would be most appreciated:

(B) Oil-pressure installation kits:

Senders look like this... http://www.veisystems.com/images/Sender-sen100i.jpg

with the max diameter at the flange being ~2.0". From what we found doing

some research, it would need to be remote-mounted, as with the photo of the

oil-sender installation kit that someone posted. This is very common, but we

just want to make sure it's necessary, and to get the correct-sized fittings.

(2) First, is this correct (that it needs to be remote mounted)?

Rather than an adapter block, we usually use tee-fittings such as this...

http://www.veisystems.com/stuff/tee-125nptmx125nptfx125nptf-brass-01.jpg

(3) Will this fit?

(4) What is the fitting size where the sender will be mounted? Usually it

would be 1/8" NPT or 1/8" BSP.

(5) What length of hose is needed for remote mounting?

I did some research on NASIOC on the oil pressure installation. Apparently there are two oil galleys on the block that can be used for oil readings(at least on the WRX, hopefully this is the same for our engines, Sportwagon may be able to verify).

One is used for the stock oil pressure idiot light, and the other just has a plug in it (this one is located kind of under the intercooler on WRXs). There is a subaru part that takes the place of this plug and has a 1/8 BSPT thread on it, the same part that is used with that stock idiot light sensor (part # 11024AA210, a gasket is also needed #037018200).

So, if the oil pressure sender for the gauge has a 1/8 BSPT thread it could screw right in to that subaru part. If not, an adaptor from whatever thread the sender is to 1/8 BSPT would be needed.

Some people mentioned that remote mounting of the sender is better, i.e. using a stainless hose to get it away from the engine for less vibration. Does anyone know if this true, would it be ok to mount the sender directly to the block via the subaru part? Is there enough room wherever the second oil galley is on our cars to do this?

Originally Posted by jedimaster

OK guys- here's the deal I've gotten worked out: for the V1-red gauges...

5+ pcs ==> Vac-boost, $60 ea.

5+ pcs ==> Oil-Pressure + sender = $63 ea.

5+ pcs ==> Water-Temp or Oil-Temp + sender = $60 ea.

3+ pcs ==> Fuel-Pressure + sender = $126 ea. ($121 ea. f/7+ pcs.

We'll work out the shipping details as soon as we have a count on how many we're going to do in the group buy.

Please post if you're interested:

1. Jedimaster (boost gauge)

2. Coxx (Boost gauge & installation stuff)

3. Yamie700 (boost gauge, oil pressure guage/sender, & installation stuff for both)

4. Wukindada (boost gauge, oil pressure guage/sender, & installation stuff for both)

5. JDanhires, Boost gauge

6.LegacyGT 05 (Howard) Boost Gauge

7. mbacis (boost gauge, installation goodies depending on price.)

8. WRX_LGT (boost guage and whatever is needed to be installed)

9. enthusiast (Boost gauge & installation stuff)

10. (Elbarto74) Boost guage (in black if possible) and an install kit please

11. OffthelineGT05 (Boost gauge & installation stuff)

12. Ikonomore (Boost gauge & installation stuff)

13.Raydhain (boost gauge & installation stuff)

We'll work out the shipping details as soon as we have a count on how many we're going to do in the group buy.

3. Yamie700 (boost gauge, oil pressure guage/sender, & installation stuff for both)

4. Wukindada (boost gauge, oil pressure guage/sender, & installation stuff for both)

14.gfxdave888 (Boost gauge + installation stuff)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Originally Posted by RayDhaIn

15.brock_b (boost guage + installation stuff)

Originally Posted by RayDhaIn

15.brock_b (boost guage + installation stuff)

16.laz (boost gauge and Inst. stuff + oil pressure gauge (pending installation stuff))

---

Hey all,

Neil again here. Just checked in and I see sportwagon may have some answers. I need to read thru the last few days of posts, which I'll do this evening, but for now it sounds like the Subaru adapter that sportwagon used may be a 1/8" BSPT male to 1/4" NPT female. If so, we should be able to get these. I recommend mounting the sensor directly on the engine if you have the room, which is sounds like you would. If you have specs, photos, or a part # for that Subaru adapter, we should be able to get more info on it. Thanks.

But I'll be back later with more.

Cheers,

-Neil.

I did some research on NASIOC on the oil pressure installation. Apparently there are two oil galleys on the block that can be used for oil readings(at least on the WRX, hopefully this is the same for our engines, Sportwagon may be able to verify).

If you have only one port, and it is needed for the idiot-light pressure switch, a tee-fitting can be used. Like the one I posted a picture of earlier.

One is used for the stock oil pressure idiot light, and the other just has a plug in it (this one is located kind of under the intercooler on WRXs). There is a subaru part that takes the place of this plug and has a 1/8 BSPT thread on it, the same part that is used with that stock idiot light sensor (part # 11024AA210, a gasket is also needed #037018200).

Awesome!

So, if the oil pressure sender for the gauge has a 1/8 BSPT thread it could screw right in to that subaru part. If not, an adaptor from whatever thread the sender is to 1/8 BSPT would be needed.

The sender is 1/8" NPT male. A 1/8" BSPT male to 1/8" NPT female adapter is available.

Some people mentioned that remote mounting of the sender is better, i.e. using a stainless hose to get it away from the engine for less vibration. Does anyone know if this true, would it be ok to mount the sender directly to the block via the subaru part? Is there enough room wherever the second oil galley is on our cars to do this?

These senders are designed for use on vibrating engines. If you've got a few open-exhaust harley motors under the hood, we might want to consider remote-mounting then. :icon_tong Vibration has some advantages as well, as it "settles" (can't think of a better word for this right now) the sender's internal diaphram to the correct position easier. Remote-mounting has the disadvantage of a bit of extra lag, though that is not a problem for oil pressure.

I'll get some info on the BSPT adapter and remote kit for those that would prefer to mount it that way.

Cheers,

-Neil.

are there any pics of one installed? on any car?

Hmmm... not really any other than the ones on the website. We've tried in the past, but photos of things emitting light are not easy. I'll see if anyone here has some photos tomorrow. BTW, the website pics were updated late last week and this past weekend, so you may not have seen the clearer photos yet.

Cheers,

-Neil.

Put me down for a boost guage. Any possibility the price will drop below $60 if we get a bunch of people signed up, like more than 20?Vince

Actually, after stating $60 to yamie600 in an email a couple weeks ago, we're down to a only few left. We are getting more this Friday, but they've gone up in price by ~$8. I will honor the $60 for thie group buy, but this will have to be a one-time only price.

Cheers,

-Neil.

Hey guys,

Wanted to let you know of our holiday schedule -- We're here until Tuesday, then heading out of town on Wednesday 23rd for thanksgiving, attending the Turkey Rod Run event in Daytona, then attending the PRI show in Orlando, then we'll be back here on Monday Dec 5th. We will need some time to get this organized/packaged/etc, but if I get it by Friday, I should be able to have someone get most of this ready by Monday and ship by Tuesday before we leave.

Cheers,

-Neil.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Sweet- get your orders in guys- Friday night I'm getting it all worked out. Vei- can you either put up a page for the gb or set up a code for those who are in?

Guest *Jedimaster*
So it looks like we have a few details to hammer out. I wasn't sure on shipping these- vei says he usually ships them to one person and then that person ships them to each members of the gb- I guess that would be me. Would anyone have a problem with me getting the package and then paypaling the shipping cost to me form my own house? If so, that's cool and I'd like see if we can work out seperate shipping for everyone.

Jedi, I'll come pick it up by your house. You can't be too far from me. I'm sure you don't want strangers coming to your house but I'd be willing to meet up with you nearby. Separate shipping would of course be better but I'll take the ride up there.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Archived