LegacyGT.com

The official 2020 Legacy thread

aac0036

that was a time when Subaru was confused, lots of experimentation

This sounds like someone making excuses for something they did in college while running for a political office. :dm: "I was confused, I was experimenting. I didn't know what I was doing when I made the 5th gen." :lol:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
Can be done through the engine compartment with air box or battery removal which is my preferred route. Not really too bad once you've done it and know the process.

Or Subaru could just, you know, make it easy to replace the headlight bulbs without removing a bunch of shit, like they did on the 4th gen. :eek:

Or Subaru could just, you know, make it easy to replace the headlight bulbs without removing a bunch of shit, like they did on the 4th gen. :eek:

Wait, what? I mean, it's maybe not *as* much, but you do have to remove the top of the windshield fluid reservoir to get to the driver's side, and part of the airbox for the passenger side.

I don't really get the issue here. Honda accord looks nice but once you're inside a car you can't really see the out side.

The 2.4 turbo still makes more torque and hp than the honda accord (252hp and 273tq vs 260hp and 277tq) and with AWD, the subaru definitely puts it down far better with 2 measly wheels.

I drove a friend's accord v6 a few times and getting wheel spin whenever it wasn't optimal conditions (think light rain here) is really unnerving to be honest.

I don't really understand the hate. The Legacy with 2.4DIT is pretty much the family WRX we all wanted. I think people are looking for a 320hp, 380tq legacy GT for the price of a V6 camry.

People forget once a company gets large they don't lose money to get audiences anymore.

I don't really understand the hate. The Legacy with 2.4DIT is pretty much the family WRX we all wanted. I think people are looking for a 320hp, 380tq legacy GT for the price of a V6 camry.

People forget once a company gets large they don't lose money to get audiences anymore.

You're injecting logic again. That doesn't fly in this forum. :lol:

It's the same thing I've said for a long time. People want to pay the same they've always paid for a Subaru, but want all the features, power, luxury, etc. that they'd find in an Audi S4 or S6 (and strangely believe that if Subaru doesn't offer that, they'll be out of business in 6 months time), but don't want actually pay for what one of those cars cost (i.e. they won't just go buy the cars they claim they really want).

• I Donated
Wait, what? I mean, it's maybe not *as* much, but you do have to remove the top of the windshield fluid reservoir to get to the driver's side, and part of the airbox for the passenger side.
No you don't. I replaced headlight bulbs all the time on my 4th gens without removing anything except the back cap on the headlight.

It's not comfortable, but it's doable, and usually when I noticed a bulb was out, I was actually using the headlights and needed it fixed ASAP, so I did it in the parking lot of the Autozone.

No you don't. I replaced headlight bulbs all the time on my 4th gens without removing anything except the back cap on the headlight.

It's not comfortable, but it's doable, and usually when I noticed a bulb was out, I was actually using the headlights and needed it fixed ASAP, so I did it in the parking lot of the Autozone.

I've been messing with LED's and have removed/reinstalled the 4th gen's bulbs about 20 times in the last two months. It's stupid easy on 4th gens, especially without the stock air box.

My 2012? Forget about it, I probably wont bother with LED's on that, since I can't replace them on side of the road (in case the LED fails).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

If the Legacy had a 6MT, it would be a no brainer replacement for my LGT and I would fix any short comings like I did with my 2012 (suspension/shifter/tune). When comes time to replace my GT, I will consider LXT , 6MT WRX, and perhaps a performance RWD sedan (if I continue with winter driver OB). I also might just get OBXT instead and combine my 2 Subarus into 1.

You're more flexible/dexterous than I!

You're injecting logic again. That doesn't fly in this forum. :lol:

It's the same thing I've said for a long time. People want to pay the same they've always paid for a Subaru, but want all the features, power, luxury, etc. that they'd find in an Audi S4 or S6 (and strangely believe that if Subaru doesn't offer that, they'll be out of business in 6 months time), but don't want actually pay for what one of those cars cost (i.e. they won't just go buy the cars they claim they really want).

This is very true with the internet. I may be a bit of a nitch person, but I could care less about most of the modern tech in a car. My 08 "LGT" wagon is almost the perfect car for me. My only gripe with it is the seat base and MPG. If they remade the car with the 2020 legacy 2.4t and its seats, i would be estatic.

I'm on the fence for the CVT. I don't mind the 5eat in my car, but would prefer an MT. I've never driven a CVT that wasn't mated to anything with more than 175hp/tq, nor any type of sporty suspension.

So this thing can kick an S6's ass now right? That's logical I think. :iam: Poor jasejase spent all those l00tc4k3z on an S6 and just needed an LGT. :spin:
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I paid ~$30.5K or $32K, forget, in 2005 for my '05 LGT Limited wagon. It's been great so far - a good enthusiast platform for upgrades, etc. Mostly because the OTHER Subarus it shared parts with were very well supported, IMHO. Yeah, the 5EAT was a bit of a weak link, but not horrible. VF40 was somewhat unreliable, etc..

Fast forward to 2019: car is still running. 142k miles, lots of upgrades: bnr16g + injectors + fuel, Hexmods F1, GS TMIC, many others. Also, lots of age-related clunks / issues I'd like to fix. But not worth dropping all that $$ into a 14-year-old car. Been looking for ages for the "perfect" replacement. Haven't found it.

Would I buy an updated version of the LGT? Maybe a 7-speed auto, same AWD, newest EJ257 for $40-42k? Probably. Another STI-lite. The EJ257 is a known quantity, more or less. The problem for me is the CVT - everything I've read tells me it will be the weakest link, and it's not as easy to fix as a valve body.. I know it's not a "great" transmission and probably totally infeasible for many reasons, but the 7-speed cousin of the 5EAT in the newer Q50s is said to hold up to 500 hp/tq. I could live with that..

I've been messing with LED's and have removed/reinstalled the 4th gen's bulbs about 20 times in the last two months. It's stupid easy on 4th gens, especially without the stock air box.

My 2012? Forget about it, I probably wont bother with LED's on that, since I can't replace them on side of the road (in case the LED fails).

Both low beams burned out on my son's 2010 OB within a day. Since 2010+ requires bumper to be dropped, installed H7 LED bulbs. Hope they last. Stupid design, don't know how it passed their engineering review.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I'm certainly not defending the choice, but that's been more or less standard practice in the industry since before the 5th-gen Legacy/4th-gen Outback came out. I had a roommate in college with an '06 Maxima that had to have the bumper cover pulled, and I know earlier Ford Fusions (and Mercury Milans) did as well. Ford at least started putting access panels in the wheel wells somewhere late in that 1st-gen body style- must have been 2011, because my mom's '10 Milan didn't have them. I can understand wanting to use every last bit of space available, and designing things to be able to be rapidly assembled on a line, but I don't get why they (collectively, not just Subaru) couldn't just put little passthrough cutouts in the edge of the bumper cover to provide access to the headlight mounting hardware without having to disassemble half of the front of the car.

Also, pulling the bumper cover isn't the only way to do the low beams on the '10-'14 generation- you can pull a bunch of pushpins and peel back the fender lining, which sucks even more.

• I Donated
Move the liner replace the bulb, pretty damn simple.

No it's not. The liner doesn't move easily, and without taking it off completely, it's still a tight squeeze. Why do you think Subaru started covering them under an extended warranty?

It shouldn't take an hour to replace a headlight bulb. It's a dumb design. Stop trying to defend Subaru on it. At least they have reasons for their other design decisions to appeal to mainstream buyers, as much as I dislike those. There's no good reason for this one.

I am constantly hearing my co-workers and friends complain about the replacing the headlights, it isn't just a Subaru design. Just yesterday, my friend was complaining about struggling to replace the headlight in his wife's Honda Pilot and how he had go through the wheel well. Those have box styling. It is not 2005.

• I Donated

You know what we call this kind of argument on the PA?

Whataboutism.

:lol:

Other manufacturers doing something stupid is no defense for Subaru doing something stupid, especially when they had made it easy to change the headlight bulbs in the previous generation of the same car.

So 5 years later, they couldn't figure out how to do the same thing?

Yeah, okay. :lol:

It was a valid complaint in 2010. The stylist have won with their form over maintenance of the headlight design. I am not arguing for difficult to replace headlights, just noting the design trend of the last 10 years. I definitely was pretty happy to find out my 2009 OB didn't require pulling the front bumper when my headlight was burnt out in January. In the grand scheme of things I can deal with pulling the bumper cover ever 4 years or so to replace bulbs.

Archived